BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Aftermarket Koso Gauge Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:34 am

zach_ross

zach_ross
Silver member
Silver member
Hello,

I have purchased a Speedo/tach from Koso and will be installing it on my 87 K75S. Electrical is not my strong point and was wondering if anyone else has installed one of these gauges? All info in regards to installation is appreciated. I have seen a lot of info about the Acewell gauges but nothing about Koso. 

Here is a link to the installation guide. 

http://www.kosonorthamerica.com/instructions/BA035K00.pdf

I assume that I will be needing a Gear Indicator/Start Enable Board from Robmack.

Again all help is appreciated.

2Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:18 pm

Mossy1200

Mossy1200
Platinum member
Platinum member
zach_ross wrote:Hello,

I have purchased a Speedo/tach from Koso and will be installing it on my 87 K75S. Electrical is not my strong point and was wondering if anyone else has installed one of these gauges? All info in regards to installation is appreciated. I have seen a lot of info about the Acewell gauges but nothing about Koso. 

I assume that I will be needing a Gear Indicator/Start Enable Board from Robmack.

I have a KOSO D64 on the way with front wheel sensor kit. Not sure when it will arrive but I have rewired my loom with a tgi board for start circuit so far.

Aftermarket Koso Gauge Speedo10

3Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:36 am

zach_ross

zach_ross
Silver member
Silver member
Mossy1200 wrote:I have a KOSO D64 on the way with front wheel sensor kit. Not sure when it will arrive but I have rewired my loom with a tgi board for start circuit so far.
How did it work out with wiring in the tgi board? Do you know if the schematics for your gauge are similar to mine? Maybe we can help each other  Wink cause it sure looks like you know what you are doing. I haven't received my gauge either, it should be coming any day now. It will be an undertaking connecting that and my new LED blinkers.

Last edited by zach_ross on Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:47 am; edited 1 time in total

4Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:53 am

Mossy1200

Mossy1200
Platinum member
Platinum member
zach_ross wrote:
Mossy1200 wrote:I have a KOSO D64 on the way with front wheel sensor kit. Not sure when it will arrive but I have rewired my loom with a tgi board for start circuit so far.
How did it work out with wiring in the tgi board? Do you know if the schematics for your gauge are similar to mine? Maybe we can from each other  Wink cause it sure looks like you know what you are doing. I haven't received my gauge either, it should be coming any day now. It will be an undertaking connecting that and my new LED blinkers.
I haven't seen the gauge wiring diagram yet but im assuming it will look like what you have for yours less the rev counter.
I have a full time power, switched power, ground wire, 2 blinker wires, high beam over temp and oil warning wire ready.
TGI is wired in the really compartment and have the alternator warning wire ready to run through a 50ohm resistor back to ground.
I suspect that's all I will need. I have left the gear indicator part of the TGI in the relay box.

5Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:34 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The 50 ohm resistor will connect to the blue wire coming from the alternator and go to a switched 12 volt source not earth

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

6Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:42 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
RicK G wrote:The 50 ohm resistor will connect to the blue wire coming from the alternator and go to a switched 12 volt source not earth

aye !!  indeed rick !!

you could infact run a led across the 47 ohm resistor ...(with an accompanying 470 ohm resistor in series with it) to indicate a charge type situation ...which would extinguish as charge came on ....and voltage drop across the resistor diminished

good luck !!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

7Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:24 pm

Mossy1200

Mossy1200
Platinum member
Platinum member
charlie99 wrote:
RicK G wrote:The 50 ohm resistor will connect to the blue wire coming from the alternator and go to a switched 12 volt source not earth

aye !!  indeed rick !!

you could infact run a led across the 47 ohm resistor ...(with an accompanying 470 ohm resistor in series with it) to indicate a charge type situation ...which would extinguish as charge came on ....and voltage drop across the resistor diminished

good luck !!
Is this what your suggesting?

Aftermarket Koso Gauge Altern10

8Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:46 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
opps missed that last post mossy

yes indeed  that looks good to me

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

9Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:22 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
zach_ross wrote:Hello,

I assume that I will be needing a Gear Indicator/Start Enable Board Robmack.

I've fitted a Koso RX2N tacho/speedo combo to my Flying Brick project 
https://www.k100-forum.com/t9549-jj-cobas-k100r-flying-brick#114584  
I overcame the charge light situation by wiring in a small idiot light bulb across the blue/power supply. I've tucked it under the tank so I can take a peek now and again.
For the neutral light I modified a neutral light switch from a R1100S and did away with the gear indicator read out. The 2 wire switch is perfect for what's needed here.
The rev counter needle is all over the place and I'm advised that I need an extra balance resistor to correct the problem. Oddly enough my pal had the same wandering needle problem when he fitted the same combo to a Honda VTR 1000.
I wouldn't buy another Koso or Acewell for that matter-it'll be Motogadget or Speedhut GPS for me next time.

Good luck with your installation,
Mike.

10Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:56 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Motorbike Mike wrote:The rev counter needle is all over the place and I'm advised that I need an extra balance resistor to correct the problem. Oddly enough my pal had the same wandering needle problem when he fitted the same combo to a Honda VTR 1000.
I wouldn't buy another Koso or Acewell for that matter-it'll be Motogadget or Speedhut GPS for me next time.
I've fitted a Motogadget Classic to my K75.  The tach reading is rock stable.  I'd agree with your assessment; the Koso and Acewell electronics are probably not as well executed as Motogadget.

11Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:10 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
robmack wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:The rev counter needle is all over the place and I'm advised that I need an extra balance resistor to correct the problem. Oddly enough my pal had the same wandering needle problem when he fitted the same combo to a Honda VTR 1000.
I've fitted a Motogadget Classic to my K75.  The tach reading is rock stable.  I'd agree with your assessment; the Koso and Acewell electronics are probably not as well executed as Motogadget.
I've fallen for it again haven't I?
Buy cheap,buy twice!!   :BW:

12Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
no ....just haven't found the solution yet

there are quite a few ways of getting the sensor for the tacho happening

have a look at similar instruments connection advisories

you may find one that works ...(then of coarse is setting the meter for the right type of impulse input )

keep at it ...it isn't hard ....just time consuming

and reward for when you get it right

then you can tell us how you did it ....for that type of instrument  ...and go down in the ...how to do it  section ???

good luck

13Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:19 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:no ....just haven't found the solution yet

there are quite a few ways of getting the sensor for the tacho happening

have a look at similar instruments connection advisories

you may find one that works ...(then of coarse is setting the meter for the right type of impulse input )

keep at it ...it isn't hard ....just time consuming

and reward for when you get it right

then you can tell us how you did it ....for that type of instrument  ...and go down in the ...how to do it  section ???

good luck
I've done all the above...and called the Koso importer.
I explained the problems I was having after several different hook-ups and the only help the could give was?
Fit part "X" @ £25 +p&p

14Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Tach not reading steady... Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:47 am

zach_ross

zach_ross
Silver member
Silver member
Has anyone figured out the tach to the koso gauge, I am unsure which setting to use in the gauge 1-24 (decides how many cylinders and strokes) then whether hi or low,  see documentation on this page 

http://kosonorthamerica.com/shop/motorcycle-mx/tnt-01/ 

Koso says that low is for negative wire (which it is on the k's)  but then the needle just dies, I at least get something from hi (although it just hops around 3000 when at speed)

15Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
zach_ross wrote:Has anyone figured out the tach to the koso gauge. . . 
It is with appreciation of your breathtaking plunge into the wilderness of the aftermarket with an abiding faith that everything will work out ok that I provide this link.

16Back to top Go down   Aftermarket Koso Gauge Empty Re: Aftermarket Koso Gauge Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:57 pm

Gauntlett

Gauntlett
Silver member
Silver member
On the trike I have a koso gauge with the segmented digital RPM read out, I'm sure its set Hi and 2 linked to the coil firing -ve, seems to work fine.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum