BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Gear saves lives.. on Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:59 pm

theApehouse

First off, I'm a believer in choice. It's hard for me not to pick freedom over most everything else. But lets face it gear saves lives. It's a smart choice.
Case in point:
My buddy Nick and I rode from Albuquerque, New Mexico to Pagosa Springs, Colorado the last weekend in October to celebrate my birthday. Awesome little town just over the border that has a river running right through the middle of downtown and incredible hot springs. Plus, it's a really fun town with great food.
The ride itself is amazing. Through Santa Fe, then up through 'Georgia O'Keefe' country in New Mexico (super red cliffs, amazing colors), then up through quaint northern NM farm land country, and into gorgeous Colorado. 4 hours total. (Or 5 hours, if you include the mandatory green chile burger at the local bar in Chama, NM (which still has an old steam engine train in town,from the cowboy days,that takes tourists on a stretch of beautiful country))
Anyways,
We packed up to head back early Sunday morning to beat the heavy winds that were coming in. We were about 30 minutes into the 4 hour journey, on a straight stretch of open road going 65 MPH when a deer ran out of nowhere, directly in front of my buddy Nick and he hit it head on.. Boom. Didn't even have a chance to let off the throttle.
Luckily he was wearing full gear. And he just stood right up. Actually way too quick. I tried to get him to stop. Told him you're suppose to count to ten. But he was truly ok. The road ate through his gloves a little, so he had a tiny bit of road rash on 2 fingers (as well as a few significant bruises and aches), but totally fine.
What's more bizarre, is that I was filming the ride and captured the whole thing. Footage is not crystal clear, as the sun was shining directly in the lens. And the camera itself was a super cheap one. So cheap in fact that it didn't work the whole ride up, or while we were there. But right before we left, it started working. And then the battery died 10 minutes after the accident. Weird..

with his permission, I offer you the footage:

It was crazy. I just remember blue plastic fiberglass shooting everywhere, bouncing all over me and my fairing, and trying to gauge how far the deer was gonna roll back out into the road.

His bike hit down so hard it tore into the road and ripped a chunk out. Which, luckily for Nick, sent the bike shooting off to the right, into the ditch. It's Nick that is the rolling cloud of dirt, and obviously the deer that's rolling back out into the street.

Here's our bikes the morning before we left (complete with frost):

He's on the frj 1300 and I'm riding the old Albuquerque Police motorcycle. I rescued it out of a field up in Pecos, NM where it had sat for 9+ years. Had a dead cylinder. Rebuilt pretty much everything except the transmission. Left it looking old and ratty though. 'Blues Brothers' style..

Aftermath:

If you watch closely, that first hit he takes to the ground is tremendous.
still kinda hard to believe..

2Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:26 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I am a believer in gear too.

I know its very tough to go down like that, but then to get up and discover you are ok because if the gear is a very positive feeling even though its a big shock.

Trouble is, you never know when it will happen. Being protected counts for a lot. A friend and I survived a bad auto crash because of seat belts, long before they were compulsory. If there is one thing to do, its WEAR THE GEAR.

I'm glad you shared but a lot more glad both of you came out of it in one piece.

3Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:21 am

Life time member
Life time member
Wow, he really got T Boned. It's a stark reminder. Thanks.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick!
Mods: k1100 screen and stands

K1100rs 1995, Remus exhaust.

4Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:58 am

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Pretty bad crash, but amazingly no serious injuries.

I want to add the experience of a friend having the same type of encounter with 3 deers crossing the road at the same time.
He wasn't so lucky and broke a collar bone + got a lot of skin rashes on his upper body.
At the emergency room, the doctor was a biker too and tried to understand why he had so much skin rashes when he was wearing a full one piece motorcycle suit.

The accident happen during a hot summer day and as many riders, he had his zipper a bit open and the collar wasn't snapped. When his body rolled on the road, the zipper opened and the top of the suit got pulled down.
Good equipment will offer a good protection ONLY if you wear it properly.

5Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:31 am

Two Wheels Better

Thanks for posting that clip up. It's a good reminder that it can and does happen 'out of nowhere' and at any time. If it's not deer it's 'roos, moose, large birds, armadillos, wombats, domestic animals, errant cars and people looking at their mobiles while stepping out into the street.

I have had three unplanned get-offs in my thirty eight years of riding on the street, accidents which could have caused me more than just minor injuries, but the only part that wasn't unplanned was that I was wearing my gear. It has saved my arse more than once.

It'll be good to see that K100 going when you get it together, Apehouse. Perhaps a ride through the familiar territory you describe (to revive old memories) is in order? My guess is August/September next year.

Cheers.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K11/K12 Big Block, '94 R100R Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & 2009 K1300GT

6Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:40 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Deer tend to be a problem here too, but only December through February (rutting season). There's a herd up the road whose movements are reasonably well known and the road is signposted at the limit of their travel (ComberJohn knows the ones I'm talking about). However, in rutting season I've played dodge-the-deer less than a mile up the road from here way outside of their normal range, way too often. I do not want to hit one, so the night run home through that area at that time of year especially tends to be very hair-trigger on the brakes.

I'm pleased your friend got up and walked away from that one. He'll dine out on it for quite a while yet! What did the insurance company have to say about it?

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

7Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:32 pm

theApehouse

Two Wheels Better wrote:
It'll be good to see that K100 going when you get it together, Apehouse. Perhaps a ride through the familiar territory you describe (to revive old memories) is in order? My guess is August/September next year.

Cheers.

Yea, I'm gonna start a build thread here pretty soon, which I'm sure ill be fairly anti-climatic (especially when compared to some of the build threads I've been browsing). Fantastic stuff!

And HECK yea! Would be awesome. Sept especially, after the temps start to finally lighten up a hair, is amazing riding weather here (as I 'm sure you remember). And I know you have lots of options in the area, but 'mi casa es definitely su casa!' You have an open invitation my friend!

Dai wrote:
I'm pleased your friend got up and walked away from that one. He'll dine out on it for quite a while yet! What did the insurance company have to say about it?

They were cool I guess. He had a Colorado State Police Officer come and fill out a report. Officer said when he received the call, he responded to the dispatch, 'Did you say motorcyclist hit a deer and no paramedics?' and she said yea, no paramedics. And he said, 'Well then they didn't a deer on a motorcycle at 65..'

They wound up towing him back to where we started, and about 2 days later he got a pretty reasonable, even generous, check for his bike (that also included reimbursement for his gear too!).
I kind of wanted to buy back the salvage to play around with or create something else, but it clearly meant too much to him. He had to let go completely. I couldn't even ask.

On a side note, a local family stopped and asked if they could have the deer, and apparently by law, it was my friend Nicks property now, so he said of course. Officer wrote them a 'road kill permit' and they were on their way. Officer also laughed about how Nick did better than most hunters had that season. Nick's response was, 'Yea, it only took a $6,000 bullet..'

8Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:44 pm

Two Wheels Better

theApehouse wrote:On a side note, a local family stopped and asked if they could have the deer, and apparently by law, it was my friend Nicks property now, so he said of course. Officer wrote them a 'road kill permit' and they were on their way. Officer also laughed about how Nick did better than most hunters had that season. Nick's response was, 'Yea, it only took a $6,000 bullet..'

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K11/K12 Big Block, '94 R100R Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & 2009 K1300GT

9Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:36 pm

Scotts 87

Its a humbling reminder about protective gear and awareness. great clip and glad all are safe.

10Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:18 pm

WandererK1

Silver member
Silver member
Wow, from peace, Heaven on wheels to hell in a slit second..!!! Thanks for posting, the vid has given me a good shake, as Im sure it has/will many others, mostly always wear the gear, but sure don't hurt to get a reminder why... Glad your both ok to... Very Happy Cheers Jeremy

11Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
theApehouse wrote:On a side note, a local family stopped and asked if they could have the deer, and apparently by law, it was my friend Nicks property now, so he said of course.
Bit different to here. If I hit a 'game' animal (deer, pheasant, partridge, whatever) and then stop to pick it up, I can be done for poaching. Now, if the guy behind me stops and picks it up, that's a different area of the law and entirely legal! Shocked

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

12Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Kyle10

Life time member
Life time member
This reminds me of a column featured in a bike mag to which I used to subscribe. The column was 'Stayin' Safe' by Lawrence Grodsky, a safety instructor who came to an untimely end when he struck a deer on a rural road.

Here in the Pacific NW I sometimes think of this as I'm barreling through forested roads (of which there are plenty).

Glad your riding bud's in one piece after that. The suddenness of it is shocking.

13Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:18 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:
theApehouse wrote:On a side note, a local family stopped and asked if they could have the deer, and apparently by law, it was my friend Nicks property now, so he said of course.
Bit different to here. If I hit a 'game' animal (deer, pheasant, partridge, whatever) and then stop to pick it up, I can be done for poaching. Now, if the guy behind me stops and picks it up, that's a different area of the law and entirely legal! Shocked

I get home delivery. Pheasant walk on to my patio.

14Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:48 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
In OZ we have to watch out for kangaroos. They're mobile around dawn and dusk as they graze in herds and can jump out very unexpectedly. I've collected 3 over the years by car. One at 120kph which totalled the front and nearly went thru my windscreen. Last week a 2 metre goanna ran out onto the highway right in front of me and stopped. It brought the traffic to a standstill. Fortunately he wasn't harmed. Times like that you wish you had a camera on board.

Thanks for the story and video Apehouse. A stark reminder for us all to wear gear at all times. Cheers

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

15Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:58 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Decided to tidy up my gear this morning as I haven't used the K since 31st. That's when I noticed a significant burn on the knee where the knee protector is, from the exhaust. I never felt a thing. I felt happy. Elbow, knee, hip, foot all made contact and all well protected.

16Back to top Go down    Re: Gear saves lives.. on Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:19 pm

theApehouse

Thanks everyone. Was definitely one of the more potent moments of my life, that's for sure, and certainly one of his.

I myself admittedly, have never really had a nice pair of riding pants. But after seeing where his pants were shredded, it's on my immediate list!

Funny, just yesterday I burned the last 7 minutes of the ride (leading up to, and including the crash) for my buddy that was in the crash. When it happened we had told people we were riding cool and laidback , but I'm pretty sure there were *a few* who suspected he had been hot-dogging it. He felt pretty good after he watched it and said, "We were totally being mellow!". Yes we were.. Yes we were

Anyways, it's super boring (aside from the deer crash, that is), but if anyone cares to gander:

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum