BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Saturday 13th saw us take off south for "a bit of a jaunt". This ended up in being a 600 Kilometer day.

We had been informed of some lovely natural Hot Pools, named Kerosene Creek, so that was our initial destination. The plan was to go there and then head over to the East Coast to a little place called Awakeri where there is more civilized Hot Pool bathing and then head for home.

Well, anyway, we got to Kerosene Creek and Wow. What an Awesome little place that turned out to be. Met some people from Germany and another couple from Wales. Seem's the location is in the official 'Tourist Trail' book. We got there at 9.00 am so I now know it is an hour and 15mins from where we live. We will DEFINITELY be returning

My partner absolutely loved it and so did I. Anyway, upon asking her, when we were due to leave, did she still want to go to Awakeri, She said "nah" so I suggested we go to the "snow". So that's where we went!

We ended up on Mt Ruapehu, one of the world's most active Volcanoe's, which is smack in the centre of the North Island, and the largest active Volcano in New Zealand. It also has the highest point in the North Island with the Summit being approx 2800 metres.

But we didn't even get close to the Summit because the whole place is "owned" and "operated" by the Government (Department of Conservation NZ Ltd") but we got reasonably close, to about 2100 Metres, Via Chair Lift.

WOW . . . What a blast!. I absolutely loved it as did my Partner. We blasted through national Park chewing up the k's effortlessly. The bike performed flawlessly as usual and we had one of the best days riding and adventuring that I can remember ever. We got home safe and sound with no incidents, accidents or policemen.

And, get this. We only saw ONE Highway Patrol vehicle the entire trip until we got back in to Hamilton. Then we saw 10 IN ONE PLACE..... setting up a booze bus. . . heh . . sure was great to get away from what I now refer to as 'pig city" Hamilton is one of the most over over-policed towns in the country

Anyway . . If anyone come's over here for a Holiday then these places are a MUST do as far as I am concerned:

Here's some Pics;

WandererK1

Silver member
Silver member
Sounds like a GREAT day...Very Happy

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
WandererK1 wrote:Sounds like a GREAT day...Very Happy
Yep. One of the best.

Just done the Fuel consumption stats and (2 up) was approx 6.47 litres /100km which is a bit higher than previous but then there were some lovely long blats at 7000 + revs so it's still pretty good. Damn these K's are great bikes. The bike just loved it. If only it could talk . . . Very Happy

The whole trip cost $76 in fuel and $60 for the chair lifts at Ruapehu. We packed a good picnic lunch so overall for $68.00 each we couldn't go wrong really

Fuel down that way is currently running around $1.86 a litre. A good 10c/Lt cheaper than here. Not sure why.

For overseas members not familiar with NZ this is where we went. The red line was saturday and the Orange line is in the plans but that is a 1200 K return Journey taking at least 2 days

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Awesome. Thanks for posting.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

WandererK1

Silver member
Silver member
That fuel average is good me thinks, especially 2 up, and with high speed content, wish my K was going, think I need to fast track things here...Shocked
Im fond of taking a picnic lunch on my rides, means one can eat when it suits, know what your getting, and not hunting for over priced cafe food all the time to...Smile

Was the first pic the Kerosene creek, as in its a hot stream rather than pool..? Sounds good anyways, mite have to check them out sometime... J

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Fuel consumption is so variable, so many things can affect it and in particular riding habits. If you were giving it a bit of throttle, two-up... I think 6.47 is pretty good. I've been struggling with my fuel economy ranging around 7.5 lit/100k but recently due to new plugs, clean injectors and valve clearances adjusted (exhausts where way out) I'm now getting around 6.7 lit. I ride a little hard I think so that probably accounts for another 0.5 lit or more.

Also, been wondering if I overfill the tank and I'm getting some wastage. I fill to about an inch from the top.

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
WandererK1 wrote:Was the first pic the Kerosene creek, as in its a hot stream rather than pool..? Sounds good anyways, mite have to check them out sometime... J
I'm with you on avoiding the over priced cafe's. When we are out and about at worst we try and find a bakery. At best we enjoy our own food and copious amounts of thermos coffee (Mocconda or Jeds freeze dried, not that cheap sh*t)

Yep . . the pic is (you are right) the water falling from the Hot Stream. Magic. Absolute magic. About 28k's south of Rotorua on SH 5 heading for Taupo hang a left down Old Waiotapu Rd. If you pass the Waiotapu Pub go back 1.5ks on the other side of the road

Last edited by Be made on Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:Fuel consumption is so variable, so many things can affect it and in particular riding habits. If you were giving it a bit of throttle, two-up...

Also, been wondering if I overfill the tank and I'm getting some wastage. I fill to about an inch from the top.
Funny thing . . am probably about to open a can of worms here but . . . My bike is naked. It goes faster 2 up than 1 up. Maybe something to do with the change in aerodynamics. Maybe it is a little more economical too. My partner is approx approx 10 - 11 stone. I have assumed the extra weight would use a lot more fuel than not having it there but maybe the equation balances out with the better aero's . . I don't know really, just musing a bit here

As for filling the tank, I fill mine to within about 5 - 10 mm from the top. I don't think there is any way to get wastage. I might be completely wrong but it has never been an issue (for me) even though I have seen comments on this forum to the contrary

Life time member
Life time member
Nice little spin and a nicer ride report, Thanks Be Made. 6.5l/100KMs is about what I get out of my LT and it doesnt matter much how I ride it but I rarely take it past 6,000RPM.

I look forward to the report of your planned loop.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick!
Mods: k1100 screen and stands

K1100rs 1995, Remus exhaust.

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
Be made wrote:
Kaptain Holister wrote:Fuel consumption is so variable, so many things can affect it and in particular riding habits. If you were giving it a bit of throttle, two-up...

Funny thing . . am probably about to open a can of worms here but . . . My bike is naked. It goes faster 2 up than 1 up. Maybe something to do with the change in aerodynamics. Maybe it is a little more economical too. My partner is approx approx 10 - 11 stone. I have assumed the extra weight would use a lot more fuel than not having it there but maybe the equation balances out with the better aero's . . I don't know really, just musing a bit here

As for filling the tank, I fill mine to within about 5 - 10 mm from the top. I don't think there is any way to get wastage. I might be completely wrong but it has never been an issue (for me) even though I have seen comments on this forum to the contrary
Aerodynamics would probably change a little with 2 up and then you'd get better traction. Not sure if that would affect consuption tho.... interesting.

Re wastage... there's an overflow from the filler cap to an evaporation cup under the tank which has a drain tube back to the rear. I have read about methods of raising the filler cap so as to get an extra litre into the tank. Seems pretty drastic.

Ed

Life time member
Life time member
damn you Kiwis , that is a nice report there . could have sworn you were putting together a travel promo.
Of course , NZ is on mine and I'd say many others Bucket lists, wish we could be there.
Glad to hear you extended the ride and made much more from it.

1993 K1100RS 0194321 Colour #690 Silk Blue aka" Smurfette"

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
groverK wrote:damn you Kiwis , that is a nice report there . could have sworn you were putting together a travel promo.
Of course , NZ is on mine and I'd say many others Bucket lists, wish we could be there.
Glad to hear you extended the ride and made much more from it.
Yep. This is going to become a problem for us though at some point in the future simply because we are going to run out of destinations, unless ya want to do things twice over. We are going to either have to move to the South Island or go to the next nearest place, which would take us to . . . Aussie

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Do the words 'I'm jealous' have any impact? Very Happy

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

Be made

Life time member
Life time member
Dai wrote:Do the words 'I'm jealous' have any impact? Very Happy
Yes. They do. as I am jealous of people living in other countries I would LOVE to do biking in. Like Germany and the Autobahns

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum