BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    computer tutorials for newbies on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:11 am

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
After using exclusively Microsoft operating systems for 35 years (I started with PC Dos 2.0 Very Happy), I finally got off the closet and start to use an Apple computer (Macbook pro).
Knowing absolutely nothing about Mac, my first task was to create a dual boot (Boot Camp) and install Windows. At least I can continue to work with what I know.

Now, it's time to learn Mac but where do I start?

The answer is online learning and I found a site with excellent videos for Mac and Windows users: Free computer classes online
They have videos about OS (Windows/Mac) as well as applications (Microsoft office, facebook, skype, Google Chrome)....

If you are a newbie or a very basic computer user, I recommend that you browse the 13 pages of videos and you will certainly learn a lot.

Happy learning

CF

2Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:24 am

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
I don't want to hijack this thread but since it relates to problems experienced here goes.

First of all, we all think that there's more than one road to heaven.
All agreed.

I've been very bad, and have been putting "myself about" over on Motobricker. There's a good thread on sprag clutch fixes and i wanted to copy it to a word document which is what i do on this site.

However while you can do a COPY of the Text, the pics are left out with just a file name appearing.
If i do a SAVE IMAGE AS, it indicates that the file will be saved as a JPEG. If i put it into MY PICTURES and then go and retrieve it, to do a paste into my WORD copy of the thread, it says Windows can't open the file (now shown as a THUMB file)

If i save it as a SAVE IMAGE URL, then it can be seen in PICTURE MANAGER but if you try and save it there, it wants to save as INTERCHANGE FORMAT file. Windows then won't open this file.

So here, it's simple - just COPY and you can PASTE everything
Why is this site different and what can i do to get a simple save of the picsover on Motobricker.

K100RS 1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay) Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

3Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:38 am

Inge K.

VIP
VIP
werewasi wrote:
So here, it's simple - just COPY and you can PASTE everything
Why is this site different and what can i do to get a simple save of the picsover on Motobricker.

Johnny did change this some months ago, so it shouldn't be so easy to copy
the pictures.
I think the reason was that members did see their own pictures was showing
up on a lot of other forums on the net.

I send you a how to in a PM, for your own use.

4Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:59 am

Wheeldigger

Platinum member
Platinum member
Had a MAC G3, have (K)Ubuntu, but started with Win3(.1)
Still have it on diskette Very Happy

This bugger running on Win7 (Dell Optiplex GX620) Dell has no drivers, only for XP and 2000.
But everything works very well, even better than XP.

And my old DOS6 and Norton Commander never left me (that's why I'm running 32-bit)

07/1987 K569 K 75 S (0563,0572) USA

5Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:19 am

RicK G

VIP
VIP
And now you can a fine example of one of the reasons I walked away from that site. I see he hasn't changed in the last few years.

6Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:28 am

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
werewasi wrote: i wanted to copy it to a word document which is what i do on this site.

In stead of copying to a word document, you can save the web page as a PDF.
Check this web site.

7Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:48 pm

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
Tks C F,
I prefer to save it to a WORD file because then it can be edited and the file considerably reduced in size.
e.g. tank sender unit (march 2012). It was 32 pages before the edit and after taking out signatures and other stuff, it was down to 24 pages.
Am i wrong in thinking that you can't select individual pages of a PDF for printing. You certainly can't select just certain pieces and then try and copy them.

Did you consider my idea about LOCATION being available?

K100RS 1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay) Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

8Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
werewasi wrote:Tks C F,
Did you consider my idea about LOCATION being available?
werewasi want to create a list of members by countries which is a great idea.....

Yes I did consider your request, but I will have to add an extra field on everybody's profile.
This option was not available when I started the forum, and now it's a bit difficult to implement without having every member revisiting and updating their profile.
I will seriously look at it in the next few weeks.

CF

9Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:06 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
I prefer to save it to a WORD file because then it can be edited and the file considerably reduced in
If you use Nitro pro (better than any other PDF readers), you can edit your file as if it was a MS Word file and save it the way that you want (even on MS Word format).

10Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:49 pm

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
Tks C F.
will download Nitro and try it out.

I'm a little puzzled by the concept of being able to edit PDF files.

i thought the whole idea of PFD was that it stopped people from making surreptitious edits of material and then presenting them as originals.

e'g. I get letters from a solicitor in PDF form - he's sending hem in this format rather than WRD so that i can't edit or alter anything, isn't he

Thanks for considering the location thing.

11Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:41 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
werewasi wrote:.........
Am i wrong in thinking that you can't select individual pages of a PDF for printing. You certainly can't select just certain pieces and then try and copy them.
You can easily print selected pages from a pdf in Adobe Acrobat Reader by opening the nav pane on the left from the view menu then selecting required pages using shift or ctrl click. Then right click the selection and click print. Something like that... Im on the road atm so don't have my pc in front of me to check.

Another method is to use the printer software. When the printer dialogue box appears you can select pages to print. In the custom box just add the page numbers you want separated with a comma or a range of pages or a combination of both.
EG 1,5,10 or 2-8 or 2-8,11,13-20,25,29

Easier to use the first method tho

Re security. PDFs can be created and edited to a degree in third party software but with Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) you can lock the pdf down so it cant be tampered with.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

12Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:54 pm

robmack

Life time member
Life time member
werewasi wrote:I thought the whole idea of PFD was that it stopped people from making surreptitious edits of material and then presenting them as originals.
PDF provides a means to display content in a hardware independent fashion. No matter which OS you use -- Mac, Microsoft, Linux, Andriod, etc. -- the screen presentation is still the same. The author of a PDF document can can choose set security on the document so that it cannot be edited, printed, even viewed. Most PDF documents don't set security features to protect the content so a PDF editor can manipulate the content of the PDF just like Word can manipulate the content of a .doc file.

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

13Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:23 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
You are 100% right Rob.

If you use a software like Nitro pro, you can edit and even convert the PDF file to Microsoft office format (xls, docs,...).
I personally never install Adobe reader as I found it takes a lot of resources. By default, Adobe loads when you start your computer increasing boot time and using memory. If you don't read a lot of PDFs, you can disable it from loading at startup. (for windows xp or windows 7 users, run MSconfig and disable all adobe products).

CF

14Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:48 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
You're right rob. As the name suggests, PDF (Portable Document File) was designed primarily as a cross platform file format. Its inherant features meant that it was also difficult to access the text/graphics.

imo PDFs are a grossly misunderstood and under rated file. I use PDFs extensively especially on my phone and tablet using Adobe Acrobat Reader. Never had an issue on mobile or pc.

I've tried Nitro and for occassional use its not bad especially if all you need is to extract content to Word. I create a lot of large PDFs and use Acrobat Pro. A bit pricey thoVery Happy But its not really for editing PDFs. I've pretty much got by just copy and pasting into Word. Formatting goes a bit wild but thats where Nitro comes in handy. I'm pretty sure it uses OCR technology to identify text and format.

Cheers

15Back to top Go down    Re: computer tutorials for newbies on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:11 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
I prefer to save it to a WORD file because then it can be edited and the file considerably reduced in size.
e.g. tank sender unit (march 2012). It was 32 pages before the edit and after taking out signatures and other stuff, it was down to 24 pages.
Dave. I get the idea you are selecting and saving information for later reference in MS Word format. This has inherant problems besides the obvious hassles of getting the info into a Word file. Managing all the files and finding the info you need at a latter date can be a headache.

Solution: Use a cloud app. There are a few apps about that you can easily save links or the content of a link (web page text and graphics) to. The best one is Evernote. Its available for Windows PC, Mac, iOS and Android and for a basic account its free. You won't need anything more.
All you need to do is select the text and graphics from a web page and 'clip to Evernote'. From there you can store the info in a categorised notebook, add tags, share the note with other people. It also stores a link of the original website. And its easily searchable

The best thing about this type of sevice is that your info is available to you across all your devices so you can access it anywhere you have BB connection. Handy if you are in the parts shop and you need to access some info you found the night before.

Also, if you store everything on your pc and it goes down (fire, theft or fritzed) your info is lost. With cloud its always backed up and accessible.

Cheers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum