BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


Moomin_Man

avatar
active member
active member
Thank you in advance to anybody who can help this complete novice Rolling Eyes
Haven't been able to ride my k100 for many months now...finally have some time to do something about it.
Tank is leaking from the lowest point around where it sits on the long rubber pad. (This pad was like glue/jelly when I got it, so presumably leaked before). The leak seems to be from an invisible seem that I can't see. There is a line of fuel and deposits running down the frame and over the rear brake pedal area. I have no idea how to repair and figured it could be as easy to replace the whole tank? Will any K100 tank fit? It's an 85'. The leak is slow, but not safe. Lots of threads on patching with various products, but no idea how I would isolate the leak, looks to be a very awkward area.


At the same time as discovering a leak, my bike stopped starting. I can manually start it by injecting some fuel into each cylinder but it only fires for one rotation. This is making me think it could just be a blocked fuel filter? The fuel pump sounds the same as always. Had a mechanic from Triumph take a look and he thought it was all fine. Just said the battery was dead. (Told him it was brand new and as it's starting when I inject fuel, we can presume the battery is ok).

I'm in the UK and finding a standard K100 tank is proving difficult.

Thanks again foir any advice Smile

    

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
They all do it sooner or later. It will be some pin holes under the insulation or less likely a weld on the seam that split. Either way permatex has the stuff to fix it.
http://www.permatex.com/products/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/professional-repair-systems/permatex-fuel-tank-repair-kit-detail
I have mended a few tanks with this and none have leaked again.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

Moomin_Man

avatar
active member
active member
@RicK G wrote:They all do it sooner or later. It will be some pin holes under the insulation or less likely a weld on the seam that split. Either way permatex has the stuff to fix it.
http://www.permatex.com/products/product-categories/specialized-maintenance-repair/professional-repair-systems/permatex-fuel-tank-repair-kit-detail
I have mended a few tanks with this and none have leaked again.

Spot on! Thank you, Rick G!

£22 is the cheapest I can find with UK shipping, so hopefully will do the trick and save me some hassle Smile
EDIT: Found for £13 with free shipping on Amazon.

Thanks again!

    

4Back to top Go down    Replacement tank on Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:49 am

Gordon Smith

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Try Milliput I've mended semi loaded Diesel tanks with this whilst still on vehicle. Very Happy

    

Moomin_Man

avatar
active member
active member
@Gordon Smith wrote:Try Milliput I've mended semi loaded Diesel tanks with this whilst still on vehicle. Very Happy

Cheers Gordon! Have ordered the permatex already but will order Milliput if problem persists. Smile

    

6Back to top Go down    FIXED!!!!! on Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:38 pm

Moomin_Man

avatar
active member
active member
Just to follow up on the issues I was having.

Tank is now sealed and bike is also running Very Happy

Firstly, the permatex didn't set very well (maybe due to winter temps?) so I used a fast acting araldite to finish it off on top and so far so good. Will buy a spare tank if I see one for the right price just in case.

As for my injector problem. Replaced ECU for £20 and it started first time.

6 month job that should have taken a day!!!

Thanks for advice everyone! Can't wait to get back out on the road!!!

    

92KK 84WW Olaf

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Great to see you on the forum and glad you are now mobile again.

If you are buying a tank there are two types and they are not interchangeable. If yours is held down by a single bolt at the rear it is the early one and the electrical connection is at the front left. If it is held down with two pins pointing down that are held with clips then you have the later one which will also interchange with a K75 tank if you find one.

If you are travelling would be great to see you over here.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Baja Red bought 36,000 now 89,150 miles
1997 K1100LT 58,645 now 60,500 miles
    

Moomin_Man

avatar
active member
active member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Great to see you on the forum and glad you are now mobile again.

If you are buying a tank there are two types and they are not interchangeable. If yours is held down by a single bolt at the rear it is the early one and the electrical connection is at the front left. If it is held down with two pins pointing down that are held with clips then you have the later one which will also interchange with a K75 tank if you find one.

If you are travelling would be great to see you over here.

Thanks for advice, mine is held by the single bolt. Spotted one on eBay but a touch pricey!

Bike is starting perfectly but cutting out soon after. Haven't had a chance to let it run with a bit of throttle as it was too late last night and too early this morning for upsetting neighbours. Maybe this is normal after 6 months of inactivity. Will see how it behaves after work today Smile

    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum