BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]


101Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:44 pm

Tenox


Life time member
Life time member
Oh I feel more idiot than normally. I have no idea how that plug on TPS is unconnected. I hope it does not need screwdriver on both sides since there is no room. I don't want to break anything so I just ask even it makes me look stupid. How is that unplugged?

I really should get a brand new bike from a dealer and just drive... Hopeless...

    

102Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:32 pm

kartooo

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
blaKey wrote:"Quite an interesting read as I have gotten used to the 'engine braking' at the TPS allows for and use it a lot. I like the shifting down and braking on the engine before entering a curve and the roll the throttle open and accelerate out of the curve."


__________________________________________________
85 k100rt current
04 vulcan 1500 classic sold
07 bonneville black sold
05 fjr1300 sold
04 r1150rt sold
91 k100lt sold
r80rt sold
85 K100 sold
    

103Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:58 pm

rosskko

avatar
VIP
VIP
Tenox,

Don't unplug the wire from it. Just loosen the two screws on either side and turn it.
Turn it about 1 or 2 degrees clockwise? (looking from the back of the bike).

You should hear a very faint click. It is now disconnected.

Tighten the screws.


__________________________________________________
1986 K100RT VIN 0093801K100RT with summer fairing for a northern visitor

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ05/1988

K1100RS 0194321
    

104Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:37 pm

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
You will find a small wire clip just like the clip on the injectors, once that is pulled back the plug will come very easily. Most if not all the FI bits are held in with clips to make a positive connection.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

105Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:00 am

Tenox

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
rosskko wrote:Tenox,

Don't unplug the wire from it. Just loosen the two screws on either side and turn it.
Turn it about 1 or 2 degrees clockwise? (looking from the back of the bike).

You should hear a very faint click. It is now disconnected.

Tighten the screws.
Done that (and I think it is anti clockwise), would like to check (with meter) if WOT is OK.

Rick thanks I look in to that.


__________________________________________________
BMW K100RT Scrambler (86)
    

106Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:31 am

Tenox

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks Inge and Rick. Measured tps on both bikes and they both have functional WOT.Smile


__________________________________________________
BMW K100RT Scrambler (86)
    

107Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Wed May 06, 2015 9:30 pm

KafeRacer

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
Unplugged my L-Jet TPS switch today to test the smoothness, it is night and day better. Promptly came home and removed the sensor entirely.

Thanks for the info in this post.


__________________________________________________
Dave Evans
'Kafe Racer'
kaferacer.wordpress.com

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer
http://kaferacer.wordpress.com
    

108Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Thu May 07, 2015 12:31 am

Holister

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Unfortunately you now don't have WOT sw, which tells the FICU to enrich the mix when you are gunning it with the trottle fully open. Better to loosen the TPS and turn counter-clockwise a degree or two till you hear the throttle closed sw. disengage and then tighten back up. Everything else stays the same.


__________________________________________________
1988 K100RT VIN No. 0094680
1989 K100RT VIN No. 0097367 (naked)
1996 K1100RS VIN No. 0451808
Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90
    

109Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Thu May 07, 2015 2:26 am

bettyswolloks

avatar
active member
active member
Glad I stumbled across this thread as I wasn't particularly enjoying riding the Rat around.
Disconnected the TPS at work just to see how the 10 ish mile commute home felt, needless to say any thoughts of getting rid of the bike have now gone!

http://ranfog.co.uk
    

110Back to top Go down    HMMM on Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:39 pm

6strings

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
I saw the beginning of this thread this morning, and having nothing better to do I went down to the shop and capped off the FPR vacuum hose and unplugged the TP whatever. I just got back home after putting on about 117 miles. I like how the bike doesn't shut down when you let off the throttle, more controllable in the corners. I'm not entirely sure I noticed any difference relating to the FPR, although it seems like it has a steadier or maybe smoother acceleration. Can't tell that for sure. Any way any excuse to go ride Very Happy

    

111Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Comberjohn

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
There are two separate schools of thought on this one. Personally, I prefer the smoothness without the TPS but you do lose the richer fuel at full throttle.
If you can't loosen the screws on the TPS, and the inside one can be a bugger to get at without removing lots of stuff, you can simply cut the black/white wire that goes to the TPS. That's what I did.
There was some discussion about whether it might be an idea to put a switch in the black/white wire and then you could have the luxury of having either condition at the flick of a switch.
Probably going to incorporate this idea into to the project bike next winter.


__________________________________________________
Life is not a rehearsal.

2010 R1200GS
1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co
    

112Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:15 pm

Holister

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
6strings wrote:I saw the beginning of this thread this morning, and having nothing better to do I went down to the shop and capped off the FPR vacuum hose and unplugged the TP whatever. I just got back home after putting on about 117 miles. I like how the bike doesn't shut down when you let off the throttle, more controllable in the corners. I'm not entirely sure I noticed any difference relating to the FPR, although it seems like it has a steadier or maybe smoother acceleration. Can't tell that for sure. Any way any excuse to go ride Very Happy
No harm in disconnecting the TPS but if you want to know how it works read this.
I can see there would be some benefit for cruising or commuting mode but my thoughts are that good engine braking improves handling performance when hard cornering.
I've tried it both ways and I prefer it connected but have thought that one day I'll connect a switch into the throttle closed wire.
It is easy just to loosen the TPS and turn counterclockwise till you just hear the switch click then tighten back up. This way you'll maintain the WOT setting on the TPS

As for disconnecting your vacuum line to the FPR... this is not a good idea. Under accelleration, the vacuum increases in the intake manifold which inturn as an effect of increasing the flow of fuel thru the injectors. This means your engine will be running rich and will have poorer performance. Your fuel consumption will go up and you'll probably have fouled plugs after a time which will decrease performance even further.
The FPR adjusts the pressure at the fuel rail to compensate for this change in manifold pressure. The FICU relies on a constant fuel flow rate so it can adjust fuel/air ratios within strict parameters


__________________________________________________
1988 K100RT VIN No. 0094680
1989 K100RT VIN No. 0097367 (naked)
1996 K1100RS VIN No. 0451808
Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90
    

113Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:21 pm

Point-Seven-five

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Like a few earlier posters here, I just found this thread and did the ccw thing with the TPS this evening.

Then took it out for a quick 20 mile ride on some nearby twisty roads. All I can say is HOLY CRAP!, my k75rt is another bike! Downshifting and engine braking into a turn doesn't have the bike pitching back and forth on the suspension, and I don't have that feeling that it's going to fall over when making a turn at an intersection. For the first time in over a year that I have owned her she doesn't feel topheavy. I actually feel like I am in control at slow speeds.

This thread should be required reading for anyone who is new to Jetronic equipped bricks.

Can this fix be applied to a 16 valve K100RS with the Motronic? Mine has that nasty on/off thing going on as well.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1994 K75S
1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

114Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:15 am

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
Unfortunately the Moronic injection needs the TPS because it is a real TPS and is required for metering the fuel.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

115Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:45 am

Holister

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Hi .75
I don't get that pitching on my suspension and would say it's not normal (I guess you're talking about front forks??). Maybe old fork oil? or you may need a different grade.


__________________________________________________
1988 K100RT VIN No. 0094680
1989 K100RT VIN No. 0097367 (naked)
1996 K1100RS VIN No. 0451808
Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90
    

116Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:12 am

Point-Seven-five

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:Hi .75
I don't get that pitching on my suspension and would say it's not normal (I guess you're talking about front forks??). Maybe old fork oil? or you may need a different grade.
Kapt. The pitching is the same as that which occurs under any deceleration. Whether from brake application or engine braking. Two fork oil changes with BMW fork oil in the past 12,000 miles have had no effect on the pitching. It is the thing I most dislike about the bike.

It's possible that my later model K75 with long travel forks is more susceptible to pitching than your bike. Riding style may have some bearing as well as I seem to use a fair bit of engine braking. At 67,000 miles it may be my springs are shagged as well. The higher center of gravity which is the result of the massive RT fairing certainly doesn't help either.

All I know is that last evening the bike felt better than it has since I got it.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1994 K75S
1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

117Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:43 am

Holister

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
.75 if you're getting pitching in the front forks with engine braking on the rear wheel then it would have to be much worse when applying the front brakes. In any case, springs could be shagged but maybe you just need a heavier viscosity oil. There's some interesting info re fork oil viscosities HERE

Also there's some discussion here on quantities and how that can affect handling with regard to the suspension 'diving'. There are different forks fitted to Ks which require different quantities of oil.
This particular post is worth a read

EDIT:
Here's the original article
Also an interesting thread from another forum



Last edited by Kaptain Holister on Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added links)


__________________________________________________
1988 K100RT VIN No. 0094680
1989 K100RT VIN No. 0097367 (naked)
1996 K1100RS VIN No. 0451808
Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90
    

118Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:22 am

Point-Seven-five

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks for the advice Kapt.! I am currently using fork oil with a viscosity of SAE 10. Anything higher and the front end gets awfully harsh on rough pavement(which is very common here in the Communist People's Republic of New York). Can't tell you off the top of my head how much is in them, but I followed the spec in the owner's manual which matched the quantities specified in other sources. I am confident I have the right amounts of clean fluid in both fork tubes.

From reading a bit on the subject, this pitching is a fairly common problem. Disabling the TPS no throttle function has gone a long way toward mitigating it. My K now handles like a normal bike in corners.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1994 K75S
1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

119Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:25 pm

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
Point-Seven-five wrote:Like a few earlier posters here, I just found this thread and did the ccw thing with the TPS this evening.

Then took it out for a quick 20 mile ride on some nearby twisty roads. All I can say is HOLY CRAP!, my k75rt is another bike! Downshifting and engine braking into a turn doesn't have the bike pitching back and forth on the suspension, and I don't have that feeling that it's going to fall over when making a turn at an intersection. For the first time in over a year that I have owned her she doesn't feel topheavy. I actually feel like I am in control at slow speeds.

This thread should be required reading for anyone who is new to Jetronic equipped bricks.

Can this fix be applied to a 16 valve K100RS with the Motronic? Mine has that nasty on/off thing going on as well.

good work .75

enjoy !!!


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

120Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:41 pm

Point-Seven-five

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:
Point-Seven-five wrote:Like a few earlier posters here, I just found this thread and did the ccw thing with the TPS this evening.

Then took it out for a quick 20 mile ride on some nearby twisty roads. All I can say is HOLY CRAP!, my k75rt is another bike! Downshifting and engine braking into a turn doesn't have the bike pitching back and forth on the suspension, and I don't have that feeling that it's going to fall over when making a turn at an intersection. For the first time in over a year that I have owned her she doesn't feel topheavy. I actually feel like I am in control at slow speeds.

This thread should be required reading for anyone who is new to Jetronic equipped bricks.

Can this fix be applied to a 16 valve K100RS with the Motronic? Mine has that nasty on/off thing going on as well.

good work .75

enjoy !!!
Rode her 60 miles to work today. My enjoyment of this ride has hit a new level. Can't describe how much better she feels in turns.


__________________________________________________
Present:
1994 K75RT
1994 K75S
1992 K100RS

Past:
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175
    

121Back to top Go down    Re: Things that BMW put there to annoy me on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:03 pm

Holister

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Glad to hear its sorted and you're enjoying the ride .75


__________________________________________________
1988 K100RT VIN No. 0094680
1989 K100RT VIN No. 0097367 (naked)
1996 K1100RS VIN No. 0451808
Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum