BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Changes to the Queensland motorcycle laws can be viewed here.

No wonder we love it up here (or down here, depending where you are).

Last edited by blaKey on Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : don't really know.)

Remember Rule No. 6

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
yes, good changes. (like the self regulating single seat registrations).

Hopefully riders will do the right thing, re filtering speeds and not give the DMR a pretext for revoking.

There are going to be some angry cagers out there who resent anybody getting in front of them so i expect we'll see some of them trying to block the space.

Now what needs to be done is bring the fee structure for classic bikes into line with NSW, or better still adopt the Victorian "classic' model (with logbook).

On the political front there needs to be a new law disenfranchising all those idiots who voted PUP. Qland must have some of the country's stupidest people .

K100RS 1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay) Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

RicK G

VIP
VIP
"yes, good changes. (like the self regulating single seat registrations)."

Have you any info on this as I don't see anything in the linked article.

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
I have to agree with most of the new regulations.
However, even if the legislation is very strict, I am not a fan of allowing lane filtering.
I believe that a lot of riders will forget about ignore the 30km/h restriction and this can create dangerous situations particularly when pedestrians are crossing the road.

Oh by the way, could I split lanes when riding with a sidecar? After all, this is a motorcycle even if it's as wide as a car. Twisted Evil

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
My best memory of lane filtering occurred on the M4 motorway that runs between London and Bristol a couple of years back. There was a huge holdup (actually, miles and miles and miles of holdup) because of roadworks at the Severn Bridge. The two of us were carefully filtering between the traffic and making a reasonable 20-30mph (wide lanes, plenty of room) when there was the flash of a hi-viz vest in my wing mirror. A minute or so later six police bikes came zooming by all in a long line, so we promptly latched onto the back. Somewhere along the way we picked up a big Kawasaki too and the nine of us made the Severn Bridge in very short order.

Talk about the parting of the waves!!! Very Happy

BlaKey - it seems to bring the QLD rules into line with the UK, with one exception. We are not allowed to undertake for any reason, except to avoid a stationary blockage on the road.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

Two Wheels Better

Great news for motorbike riders in QLD!

Perhaps there was a modicum of sense in (Premier) Campbell Newman's government afterall....

Nah, not really, and that's why he's been voted out of office after three long years.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT
Two Airheads, three Bricks, an Oilhead and a trio of new K's.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
""yes, good changes. (like the self regulating single seat registrations)."

Have you any info on this as I don't see anything in the linked article."

Is it a NSW thing?

Remember Rule No. 6

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
this is not the DMR notice but this linkk covers the mid 2014 changes

http://www.ellaspede.com/single-seat-modification-plate-laws-changed/

So no need to get a certified new compliance plate fittted - just a roadworthy.

Dai, there is a big difference between lane filtering at 30 MPH and 30 KPH.

I think the speed should have been set at 20KPH max.

This is really good deal esp being able to overtake on left in breakdown lane. Let's hope idiot riders don't F it all up.

K100RS 1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay) Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
Hurrah for sensible changes to the law! As Dai says, brings it roughly in line with UK legislation.

Potentially adds a challenge when riding inter-state (as it does in the USA) though. At least here in the UK we currently only have to contend with one set of road traffic laws (covering England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland) - although, as Scotland drifts away from the Union (they already have some of their own laws that do differ - e.g. a recent reduction in the drink driving limit) that could change, for the worse. The road laws in (Southern) Ireland are broadly the same, but they have funny signs, strange kph speed limits and some odd road markings....so rider beware!

Interpretation can vary from region to region though - for example in Bristol we are allowed to use the closed box for cyclists often found at traffic lights....I was never quite sure but a couple of years back, did a 1 day motorcycle commuting training course provided by the local council and run by ex-police riders - they provided all sorts of helpful advice on such things as well as filtering and splitting. However, they did say that other cities in the UK were not so lenient. My back pocket defence was always "Who is this box for?" Answer - bicycles. "What does it say on my tax disc (class of vehicle)?" Answer - bicycle. Ergo motorised or otherwise I am riding a bicycle and therefore the box applies to me. I wouldn't consider using a bespoke bicycle lane, separate to the main carriageway though... My argument falls apart this year anyway as we have just moved to electronic tax discs and will no longer have the old fashioned paper disc displayed on the bike.

Paul

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurancewrite-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red) (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike). June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

WoodyAUK75

Silver member
Silver member
I think that the people who will ignore the 30kmh speed limit are already ignoring the rules, so it will really be no different. I rarely bother filtering, especially when I have the panniers on. It will be nice to have the option. The self regulated single seat conversion is interesting. Every time I suggest this, my wife says "no, I love going on the bike with you!" I think it's been three times in ten years she's been on there.

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
I was looking for the registration renewal for my NC Honda so that I could see what the difference in costs were if you apply for single seat status but unlike NSW the DMR don't print the charges on it. However from memory if the CTP (like NSW green slip) was $210 for a dual seat, then the s/seat would only be about $70.

Nearly all claims relating to bikes on CTP are related to pillion injuries so it seems reasonable to lower the CTP charge if a pillion is not part of the equation.
Typically, NSW won't adopt this model _ Why ? Probably because NSW is a 'superior' state and anything that any other state has, couldn't possibly be any good.

Even this $70 is largely a scam because unlike car drivers who can get DRIVER NO FAULT cover as part of the CTP, motorcyclists get nothing, even if the rider is not at fault. Only if a rider can prove the other driver at fault i.e other driver is convicted of negligent driving, will the CTP insurers pay out on you.

I suspect that this Qld self regulating thing is going to be abused esp in relation to the 500mm min seat length.

If cops catch a rider two up, and they can now scan vehicles instantly with NR cameras the first thing will be looking at how it was possible to get 2 people on to a 'short' length seat. There were bikes previous to the change that had some 'dodgy' seats passed by slack certifiers (yes- on the sunshine coast).
However DMR could blame the certifier. Now the rider is responsible. If there are violations then the issue will blow back on to the motorcycle riding community at large.
That's how laws work. One small group does the wrong thing and everyone gets punished with having their freedom restricted.
It will be sad if riders abuse these new QLD concessions and give the DMR the opportunity to revert to the old regs. You can be sure that it wasn't the DMR that inspired these changes. They're probably pissed off at missing out on some revenue and are working behind the scenes to upset the apple cart.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum