BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Beemer Wheeler

Gold member
Gold member
My local dealer : http://www.herpigny-motors.be/ "Claude" told me that the ushering of the K serie came in just in time to prevent BMW from discontinuing motorcycle production all together.
Sales were dirt ugly due to the japanese bikes invasion in the 70's cheaper, lighter, faster, more appealing to young riders, they were too much competition for the Beemers.
He told me that without the K he would have had to fold his business, or become a car dealer, or worse, a rice burner dealer.
It was a wake up call for BMW which according to him had not evolved in the preceeding fourty years.
I'm sure most of you have known this for a long time, but it was news to me.

The Brick could never be praised enough !

Long live the K !

2012 Yamaha YFL 381 (Flute)
2005 Yamaha PSR E-203 (Keyboard Synth).
2012 Yamaha 7 HP outboard engine
"Beemer Wheeler" Certified Brick Aviator since July 2013
Ham radio call sign ON7BAS
http://h2fuel.mobi

Kyle10

Life time member
Life time member
Julian Ryder wrote the introductory for the Haynes BMW K75 1985-1996, K100 1983-1992 Repair & Service Manual that details the state of BMW's motorrad division at the time of the K intro. Relentless strafing from the Japanese motorcycle onslaught had left them in tatters. Many in corporate were set on shutting down motorcycle production.

Interesting reading, esp. given BMW's strength in the market today.

Gordon Smith

Silver member
Silver member
Can't beat a solid foundation to BMW like BriKs.

Two Wheels Better

Rumour has it that upon consultation by the board of BMW, the Quandt* family matriarch, without hesitation, slammed the door shut on any notions of shutting down bike building in favour of cars only at BMWAG, stating something like, "Motorbikes are our history. We will never give up on them."

*Longtime majority owners of BMWAG

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum