BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Wind noise on Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:14 pm

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
Since BMW put a lot of effort into the aerodynamic design of the R100RS fairing, it seems reasonable to assume that this carried over to the K RS.
However, I find that one of the worst features of the RS is the amount of wind noise generated. I know that the screen is producing it because if I sit up in an exaggerated upright posture,(I'm only 175cms) then the noise lessens, or if I stick my head out to the left of the fairing, the result is that the bulk of the noise disappears
Mine is missing the little adjustable aerofoil but when I asked about one of these on the forum a couple of months ago, the replies suggested that there wasn't any benefit.
I ride my other naked bikes at 100-110 kph and they're quieter than the RS. So i'm just seduced by the RS'
other virtues.
What is the conclusion others have come to?

Because of the excessive wind noise,I've become very aware of another phenomonen. If when going for a long ride and climbing the hills to say 400-500m, on coming down and getting back on the flat, you then experience very low levels of noise. Only if you do the exaggerated yawning action to equalise the pressure in your eardrums ( what you do if you go up in an unpressurised plane)) does the noise level rise appreciably ( to normal levels).
So I make a very conscious effort not to make the equalising happen and it means that I get the next couple of hundred kilometres in a cocoon of relative quiet. Probably the fact that I'm using well fitting ear plugs is helping retain the unequal pressure in the eustachian tube.
So what's the answer:
Shift houses to something on the Great Divide (maybe it doesn't work if you start off high)?
Get a 44 gallon drum with a head cut out and a vacuum pump and stick my head in before going riding?

Stripping the fairing off the RS is not an option, but I'm about to go on the chase for a naked K75.
Interestingly (well maybe not for you) is that i had one of those k75Ts (built only for the US market) and it had an OE screen on it which was great. Just perspex so that it didn't weigh half a ton. Only thing was that the bike looked so ugly with it's low seat, that I couldn't fall in love with it.

K100RS  1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay)  Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

2Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:19 am

smithy

Life time member
Life time member
I ride an rs and suffer no such issues, you do get wind in your face but no bad noise, and if you ride a naked you'll get more than wind in your face!
Also I live in Guyra over 1300m.
I suspect you need to get a proper fitting helmet.
Also I don't wear ear plugs.
Anyone with experience will tell you that a faired bike will allow you to here more noise, engine, road ect than an unfaired bike.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

3Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:51 am

Ed

Life time member
Life time member
David , I'm approx your height and with the LT fairing and tall screen I get some noise , but very minimal . I ride with a full faced helmet , visor up , no ear plugs, and find in low lands and the guyra hills that there is little or no difference. Engine noise is subtle but good to listen to, more audible when crouched lower behind the screen. The only draw back with such a large expanse of coverage up front is the warming effect in summer. pros and cons unfortunately.

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"

4Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:08 am

rosskko

VIP
VIP
I am 176cm and on the 1100RS I cannot ride with the visor open. The turbulence closes it at anything over 65kph.
I also have the low seat fitted so not sure if this is putting me in the turbulence zone.
The wind noise is there but as Smithy said, not as bad as the naked.

Basic/2 6308802K100CJ  05/1988

K1100RS 0194321

5Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:21 am

smithy

Life time member
Life time member
It doesn't close my visor rosskko, hang on, maybe that's because I wear an open face so I can enjoy the wind in my face.

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

6Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:47 am

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
Smithy,
Sure, my helmet is an HJC fip so just midrange and I've always suspected that the interior ear cutouts are too deep and i should pack some of that grey foam that you get as packing in electronics boxes, in to the wells.
However the helmet is not the problem if i can stick my head L or R into the slipstream and the noise lessens. It must be the fairing. It's not engine noise I'm getting but wind rush noise.
I haven't got my other RS up and running at the moment so can't do a comparison.

As soon as you mentioned that you were at 1000m I realised that the pressure differential effect wouldn't operate if you started at this altitude. 
But anyway it's a thing that kicks in when I ride up to Ulong or Dorrigo and the quietness on coming down is so great that I don't even stop for fuel or coffee until I get back to Lismore. 
Next time it happens, I'll stick my head out left of the fairing and see what the noise level difference is like.

Hearing/sound levels are so subjective that this is the great difficulty in getting accurate assessments of any helmets noise abatement potential.
It's almost like you need to have a decibel counter thingy to put out into the windstream to determine whether it's quieter with a particular screen. 
I still stand behind my original observation that it's quieter on my NC(naked) at 100kph than on the RS.

This needs to be referred to Mythbusters.

K100RS  1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay)  Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

7Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:05 am

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
Rossko,
if you have a lower seat this would help lower the wind noise because if I crouch down, I minimise it. If I raise myself slightly off the seat, the noise lessens so if your 182cms it must be great.

My visor slaps shut at 75kph but the point at which it closes will be different for every helmet because it depends on how worn the detentes are.

There's a nerdy guy who runs a website called AUTOSPEED and he's spent a lot of time trying to lessen wind resistance on cars. Results have been very interesting because the fitting of a full length bellypan on a vehicle 
does not necessarily produce a cleaner airflow.

I remember seeing a pic of the smoke flow in a bit of advertising when the R100RS was released.
Anyone seen one for the K RS?

Last edited by werewasi on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

8Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:39 am

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
The noise issue interests me.

I was chatting yesterday with someone on a K1600. No, it wasn't Comberjohn. He expressed a little unease with some of his riding buddies and I think he may come along on a trip or two.

We had this conversation along the lines 'its cold out'. Amazement then when he discovered I did not use heated grips or heated seat or heated jacket and used the K all year. I am comfortable on the K even in zero temperatures on 3 hour runs. The thing that interested him was that I got Aldi textile gear last year and this was adequate for such conditions.

Then he pulled out ear plugs etc etc and I didn't have those either. My K has a very tall screen so I ride with visor open almost all the time. I don't have a noise issue and find riding at 80mph quite comfortable. The protection is excellent in all weathers. Woukld I use a lower screen? No.

I have to buy a new helmet this year and interested to see what to get.

9Back to top Go down    blast at eye level on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:46 am

nvboy

Silver member
Silver member
I ride an 89 RS, am 181 cms and get the wind blast right at eye level at most (legal) speeds.  This causes a lot of wind noise for me but I just compensate by wearing good ear plugs then turning my head-banging music up louder.  I often switch bikes with my buddies on parts of longer rides and it's only slightly quieter on their non-RS bikes.  Maybe it's my helmet?  My spare is the same as my primary so I can't compare.
On the RS SE Facebook page there are a couple of guys who swear by the Aeroflow screen that goes over top of the existing fairing.  It pops on and off without tools and doesn't significantly change the look of the bike while increasing the faired area.  I'd like to get one but they are a bit pricey and it's just one more thing for me to spend money on.

http://www.aeroflowscreens.com/K100_1100RS/K100RS_K1100RS.htm

Random pic of my bike with others during a club ride.  Nothing to do with the Aeroflow but I like pics of bikes!

Darrin

10Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:14 am

Two Wheels Better

I use a tinted Laminar Lip at the top of my RS windscreen. I didn't need it, as the bike is about right for me, but I had it laying around so I put it to use. Turns out that it's my passenger it helps most as the air flows a bit higher and over the both of us. As for me, I always wear quality earplugs, even for short rides to the shop, have a coupla quiet helmets (that can save you a lot of wind noise/turbulence issues), and at about 175cm in height am right in the sweet spot on my bike. Having an R100RS to compare I'd say they're about the same. MyK100RS does have a Corbin seat which sits me a few CMs lower than stock.

If I compare it to my K1200GT, yes, there's a bit more turbulence around my head and shoulders on the K-RS (the GT has a higher, wider, electrically-operated 'screen), none of which is irritating enough to bother with. I've taken trips of two and a half months in length, of daily riding, and found no discomfort from the RS.

Try this, they're inexpensive and may help you.

Laminar Lip K-RS

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '89 K100 Big Block K12, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R & '07 K1200R

11Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:16 pm

Born Again Eccentric

Life time member
Life time member
An interesting debate - like others I have the tall LT screen and wind noise is not really an big issue. It certainly is there because if I tuck in behind the screen, the noise level drops noticeably (as does the ability to see clearly!). 

Obviously there is a marked difference between the size of the LT and the RS screens - wind noise is minimised by getting your head in an area of reduced air flow (behind the screen) or in a nice smooth laminar air flow where the air flows up and over the screen and continues to flow smoothly around your helmet. If that means fitting a laminar lip to smooth the air flow over your your screen and head, then that is an easy fix. The fact that you say wind noise actually gets quieter if you sit up high or poke your head out to either side of the fairing suggests that your wind noise (oo er!) is unusually loud and you are getting a lot of turbulent air flow hitting you in the normal riding position. Sorting this out will both make your ride more pleasurable and might even give a small improvement in fuel consumption.

I ride with full face helmet (mostly visor down) in the winter months and open face (my chin guard is removable) usually with main visor up and integral sun visor down on the warmer days (notice the UK reality of winter months and warmer days?). There is very little difference in wind noise between the combinations.

However, like TWB, I always wear ear plugs when riding (even for short hops) - a routine hearing test 18 months back suggested that my hearing had deteriorated slightly - could be an age thing, but most likely due to the only new factor - the introduction of a K bike or two into my life. I find that the ear plugs make a big difference to the ambient noise level, without totally blocking out the things I need/want to hear (GPS directions, music, emergency vehicle sirens, other traffic and a healthy dose of K engine noise etc.).

Paul  

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donner" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

12Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:18 pm

Kyle10

Life time member
Life time member
BAE, 

Take a try at either the stock 'foil/lip or the Laminar suggested by TWB. Ergo's are ultimately defined by the user's configuration, riding style, gear. You may get that crucial airflow adjustment which can make all the difference. 

I have an RT, which I added (back) the OEM airfoil/lip. A little plexi piece made a very large and welcomed improvement in turbulence and noise management. Give BMW credit; they've seldom produced a sub par fairing/windscreen. In fact, I believe they were the first to offer faired bikes (mass produced).

13Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:58 pm

JR_K100RS

Life time member
Life time member
"Mine is missing the little adjustable aerofoil but when I asked about one of these on the forum a couple of months ago, the replies suggested that there wasn't any benefit"

My KRS has the aerofoil intact , adjusting it does move the slipstream up & down I've found , with the adjustment on full tilt the wind blast hits me 2-3 inches above the visor ( I am on the short side )

X2 on Kyle10's comments , either get yourself the stock aerofoil or try the laminar lip

John R

14Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:33 pm

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
tks for all that guys and I'll get one of those Laminar lips as proposed by TWB.

With another RS to put on the road, it's a good opportunity to trial one and put another on #2 if it proves beneficial.

15Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:46 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
I found the cause.

This causes it too, see the warning on the side of the packaging..

16Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:03 pm

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
K1600 rider with ear plugs!
What a wuss. How does he manage to hear the radio or MP3 player? Cool
Electric screen is the business. Thought about retro fitting a K1100 one to the RT a few times. Price of the second hand parts always put me off.
The absolute best thing ever for riding in the winter are handle bar muffs.
Best £9.75 inc postage, I've ever spent!
Been out last couple of weekends and hands warm without heated grips. Might just keep them on. They'll keep my hands dry too when it rains again.

2010 R1200GS
1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

17Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:05 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:I found the cause.

This causes it too, see the warning on the side of the packaging..

Laughing  I think it would cause more of a problem for the riders following behind Shocked  A bit of laminar air flow out the rear may even improve fuel economy  Laughing

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

18Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:43 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
I've had the same experiences as Dave. Mines an RT and I'm 180cm. Noise from wind turbulance off the screen was deafening... and I do wear plugs. What I did find tho was that at 150+kph the turbulance disappeared and the ride was very quiet and laminar smooth. Unfortunately you can't stick to those speeds for too long.

This is what I had

I replaced it with a piece of toughened acrylic just 350mm in height which is about half the height of the old screen.

I've had this on for 3 months now and while I still get wind noise its no where near what it used to be. Doesn't offer quite as much protection from the rain but I don't find that a problem here in the Ozzie sub-tropics.

19Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:01 pm

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
That's what i mean Nigel when I say that the noise perception is such a subjective judgement.
RT riders on this thread say that for them it's virtually no noise. 
You, with previously an RT screen say that it was noisy.

After seeing your effort in making something, How do you think I'd go forming up a similar thing to the Laminar lip in TWB's no 10 post. Has a  crease in it but might still be doable.

Are you going to fit shark protection to your bike?

20Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:19 pm

Avenger GT

Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:I've had the same experiences as Dave. Mines an RT and I'm 180cm. Noise from wind turbulance off the screen was deafening... and I do wear plugs. What I did find tho was that at 150+kph the turbulance disappeared and the ride was very quiet and laminar smooth. Unfortunately you can't stick to those speeds for too long.

This is what I had

I replaced it with a piece of toughened acrylic just 350mm in height which is about half the height of the old screen.

I've had this on for 3 months now and while I still get wind noise its no where near what it used to be. Doesn't offer quite as much protection from the rain but I don't find that a problem here in the Ozzie sub-tropics.

I also had this screen on the RT and found it very noisy, but if I put my hand under the screen up near the top and pushed it up a half inch or so it got a lot quieter. I never got around to experimenting with it, as the screen and top fairing ended up in bits when I dropped the bike against a petrol pump, and the replacement screen is the more upright LT type. A small thing can make a big difference when it comes to airflow.

21Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:56 pm

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@werewasi wrote:That's what i mean Nigel when I say that the noise perception is such a subjective judgement.
RT riders on this thread say that for them it's virtually no noise. 
You, with previously an RT screen say that it was noisy.

After seeing your effort in making something, How do you think I'd go forming up a similar thing to the Laminar lip in TWB's no 10 post. Has a  crease in it but might still be doable.

Are you going to fit shark protection to your bike?
Its going to be pretty much different for everyone because there is so much that can be changed and then we're all different heights so everyones set-up will be different. Just need to sort something that suits the individual.

Can't visualise what you have but I'm sure we could sort something. I've worked quite a bit with acrylic sheet, so if you want a hand, let me know.

Yep... I take the K-beast to the beach 2 or 3 times a week... fitting a shark cage next week. I shouldn't jest really. We've had two serious attacks on our local beaches in the last week. One fatal. 3.5m white pointer.  Beaches have been closed all week.

22Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:03 am

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
This is a K75T which didn't officially come to Australia. It had an OE BMW screen which was very effective, light and looked OK. I liked it.
This model was intended for the US market. Fitted with a low non hinged seat. Secured by sliding into place. 

Fitted with a rear disk brake and turbocharged

23Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:15 am

TacKler

Life time member
Life time member
Got nothing to add. 

Although I don't know where RossKo got his 176cm from.  Question  I wouldn't put him a millimetre above 175cm.

24Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:01 am

nino

Life time member
Life time member

Hi, this is my solution for wind and noise used for last three years. MRA adjustable deflector on the top of aftermarket screen equalize the air pressure and screen doesnt bend on higher speed like original one (this is winter upper position on image) Less pressure less noise, no need for plugs. Line of eyesight just a little above deflector airstream go over the head

Regards

25Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:05 pm

k-rider

Life time member
Life time member
hi 
i am 1.92 and had /have the noise trouble, on my RS, i bought an aeroflow and got lots of protection from wind pressure and rain, and heaps of turbulent noise , from 60kph!!!
so , i sold the screen i now have a handlebar from a k75c, with 2cm risers , this means more wind pressure to the upper body , BUT LESS turbulent noise .
 I always wear earplugs.ALWAYS

just my experience from commuting 165 km/day ,with a schubert c3 helmet

but all this will no longer be an issue this year, since i bought the pocket amp. from :electric avenue , now i`ll be cruising and listening to my favorites  Big thumb

k-rider

26Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:50 am

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Werewasi, I'b be interested in your helmets ability to dodge that sound, can you ride and look sideways and have the noise go? Or if you can position the visor up a notch to see if it changes, reason I ask is sometimes a wind stream can hit the helmet at just the right place to create the most noise. However if you have a spare helmet at home with an old flexible open face shield, shield you could tape it in place to see if you can change the airstream  to some degree. Just sayin

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

27Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:49 am

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
yes, as I said earlier, it's not the world's best helmet but get out sideways from the RS screen, and then the noise reduces dramatically. I'll try with another helmet although being a 62cm, there aren't many borrowing options around. And no change turning helmet.
Nigel (K H) is a dab hand with perspex so is going to help fashion an extension so that's also an option.
I've just got to make sure he isn't taken by a shark first. Seems that he's been riding his K in the shallows at Lennox head.

If it wasn't for all the noise I would be in K heaven. Nothing else wrong. Despite all the stuff I've had over the years I've never enjoyed doing long rides so much.

28Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:24 pm

K75cster

Life time member
Life time member
Ok werewasi if you turn your head in the stream and it don't change the noise, then the only way around it is to change the airstream, Hope Kaptain Holister finds the sweet spot for you.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

29Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:52 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
@werewasi wrote:....
Nigel (K H) is a dab hand with perspex so is going to help fashion an extension so that's also an option.
I've just got to make sure he isn't taken by a shark first. Seems that he's been riding his K in the shallows at Lennox head.

If it wasn't for all the noise I would be in K heaven. Nothing else wrong. Despite all the stuff I've had over the years I've never enjoyed doing long rides so much.
Don't talk me up too much there Dave... lets have a look at it first. It'll largely depend whether you want to drill and screw into your existing shield or maybe replace it with a small screen like mine. You can always put the orig back on for the concourse. Take mine for a blast next week and see what you think.

"I've never enjoyed doing long rides so much" .... amen to that

30Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:08 am

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
@K75cster wrote:Werewasi, I'b be interested in your helmets ability to dodge that sound, can you ride and look sideways and have the noise go? Or if you can position the visor up a notch to see if it changes, reason I ask is sometimes a wind stream can hit the helmet at just the right place to create the most noise. However if you have a spare helmet at home with an old flexible open face shield, shield you could tape it in place to see if you can change the airstream  to some degree. Just sayin

I went out and rode with the visor up (poss to about 85/90 kph depending on wind direction) and it is noticeably quieter with it up. what does this say?  Slight reduction (with visor down) if i turn my head 60 -90 degrees.

I'd go visor up or open face helmet whenever poss except that it accentuates hay fever and I'm scared of getting hit by a rock or something else. Visor a lot more impact resistance than glasses.

31Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:51 am

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
A wasp ass-first at forty mph under the right eye also has a tendancy to put you off riding with the visor up.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

32Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:00 pm

brickrider

Life time member
Life time member
Never discount the chances of hitting an insect while out in the breeze.  A couple of years ago something (I think it was a bumble bee) went up my sleeve as I was motoring about at a good pace.  Wow!  It wasn't happy at all in there, and let me know immediately.  I had a swollen arm for a good week. 
Now when I ride in hot weather I avoid opening the zips on my jacket sleeves.  It's not worth the risk of another unwanted encounter with an insect. I can't bear the thought of that happening to my face.  Full face helmets for me; ear plugs too.

33Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:32 pm

xpc316e

Gold member
Gold member
I am 183cm in height and own a K100LT with an MRA extra screen in addition to the normal windscreen.  I also own a K1100LT with a standard electric screen, and I find that the turbulent wind noise is frankly horrible on both bikes.  If I crouch behind the screens it all goes quiet; if I stand on the pegs and pop my head way above the flow over the top of the screens it also becomes quiet.  It seems to make no difference what I do with the MRA screen in terms of angle of attack, distance from the screen, etc., it is always noisy.

I plan to cut down the standard K1100 screen to about half of its height and see where that leaves me.  That ought to put my head above the turbulence, but I will have to live with poorer weather protection.  I do love the LT fairing though as it allows me to ride in summer gloves in low temperatures and stay fairly warm; it is just the screen that irks me.

VIN 0191428, 1991 K100LT, formerly owned by Lancashire Constabulary. This old warhorse is now 'out to grass' and living in retirement in Suffolk, where it will be showered with appropriate love and care.

VIN 6459609, 1992 K1100LT, another ex-Police machine, even though she now looks like she is a former fire engine.

34Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:17 pm

indian036

Life time member
Life time member
My worst insect encounter was a Christmas Beetle (named because they are around at that time of year here in Oz), which is about 20-25mm long and 10-15mm across. It hit me in the forehead at about 60mh (100km/h) and it hurt for some time. Good thing it wasn't an eye! (I was doing 60mph, not it.)
I say 60mph in this metric country because at the time we were still using the old fashioned measurements.

On wind noise, my experience has been similar to others re moving below and above the screen on my RT. When I get some experimenting time, I'm going to experiment with no screen and perhaps then do a rough half height screen from some spare perspex. While I try to avoid rain riding where possible, I do appreciate the protection the RT screen gives when I am in the rain.

Bill

1984 K100RT White. VIN. 0023022K100RT  ENG 104EA32848523

35Back to top Go down    Re: Wind noise on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:16 am

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
I know what you mean Bill about those Christmas Beatles. copped one on the cheek on my recent trip down south. Had my visor open to readjust my sunnies...kaapow. fortunately I was only doing about 80kph but it still stung.

Xpc... I wouldn't be cutting your screen down untill you're sure about the effect. Acrylic sheet is cheap enough. Mine cost AU$20 and I cut it to about half the height of my RT screen. Make it higher and trim it down till you get the effect you want. Then if you if you want to sacrifice your good screen, you'll be able to cut it to the right height first off.

I screwed mine on with ss bolts, cup washers with suitable sized rubber gromets into the orig captive nuts on the fairing. See pic in post #18. Best to slightly over-size the holes in the acrylic to avoid stress cracking from contact with the bolt. 
I stuck a strip of black duct tape around the edge but you could easily mask the inside and spray some black acrylic paint to hide the inside edge of the fairing.
Mine may look a little rough but my fairing is on its last legs and I'll soon be ditching it to go naked so I don't really give a RA but with a little bit of work you could make it look pretty presentable.
The trick is getting the right shape and drilling the holes in the right position so if anyone would like a heads up on that let me know. 

Cheers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum