BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Troubleshooting.... on Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:52 pm

emw2net

My K 100 stutters and has a lot of exhaust fumes come out. Crying or Very sad Whenever I come to a full stop it's very sluggish and doesn't have full power when I get from 1st to 2nd gear.
Any ideas what could cause this? Just had a full tune up done 5 months ago and it was running fine for all this time.
Thanks for any suggestions how to diagnose/fix Question

2Back to top Go down    Re: Troubleshooting.... on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:50 pm

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
I would start by checking the engine breather pipe.
It's a Z shaped rubber pipe on top of the engine. If it cracks with age it sucks air in and causes poor running.
Quick way of checking is to unscrew the oil filler cap while the engine is running. If there's no change, the pipe is knackered.
If it runs even worse, then it's something else.
Start with the obvious and cheap first.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

3Back to top Go down    Re: Troubleshooting.... on Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:58 pm

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
Should have said. These bikes and their rubber are getting older now and it's worth checking the blanking plugs on the throttle bodies as well as the inlet rubbers.
To my embarrassment, I once replaced a blanking plug onto one of the butterfly adjusting screws. As it was behind the fairing panel, it took a while to find it. Embarassed

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

4Back to top Go down    Re: Troubleshooting.... on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:18 pm

emw2net

Thanks so much for your reply. I was wondering if there is a checklist for what rubber parts / seals on this bike need to be checked and / or replaced. It makes sense that all those elements deteriorate in 27 years. I will see if this takes care of the issue. Not sure if that is what causes the enormous cloud of dark smoke however. Crying or Very sad
Sorry to hear all your K100's are gone!

5Back to top Go down    Re: Troubleshooting.... on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:21 pm

Kyle10

Life time member
Life time member
What Cumberjohn wrote x 2

Heat, age plays hell on it and its likely a crumbly, cracked version of its once rubbery self. Surprising how critical this little thing is to smooth running. 

Vent Hose (#10)

As for that enormous black cloud of smoke: Either a result of resting on the sidestand (which pools oil in the pistons), or high mileage or built-up crud from inferior oil &/or gas. Or it's just part of the joy of living with Special K's (read: they all do that).

Rest your bike of the center stand if it bothers you, or lean it in the opposite direction for a moment or two before you fire it up. Also, its a good idea to run a cupla tankfuls with Seafoam in it as it's an effective cleaner for the fuel system. That, and when you ride get the revs up; K's love to be ran.

6Back to top Go down    Re: Troubleshooting.... on Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
A good clean out with seafoam or similar is a good idea.
I always found that if you let the bike tickover for 8-10 seconds while sitting on it after stopping before switching off, you rarely had a cloud when starting up again. Saves a big red face if lesser motorcycles in the vicinity.
Just look cool as you remove your gloves before switching off. No one will ever know!
One of the more knowledgable members of the forum believed that some of the whirring internals threw oil into the back of the rearmost piston and if parking on the side stand, the oil would seep past the rings.
Don't know for sure, but it worked for me almost all of the time.
All gone. Have to make do with the K1600. Life's a bitch.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

7Back to top Go down    Seafoam Magic on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 pm

emw2net

I didn't exchange the vent hose (yet) but putting a few ounces of Seafood in my tank and taking it on the freeway worked magic! Thanks!

8Back to top Go down    Re: Troubleshooting.... on Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:33 pm

Kyle10

Life time member
Life time member
Good to hear. Awesome when a quick and simple action actually works!

Meanwhile, order that hose. I'm betting the original is Krap.

Postscript: You mentioned aging rubber bits throughout your bike. Get methodical and inspect and replace where necessary. Fuel lines require hoses engineered for specific applications, so watch what you're buying. Generally, NAPA or the like will have it. Bring in the hose or at least a snippet of it. 

If you find hose or rubber that is sound but needs rejuvenation try this: Marvel Mystery Oil with about 10% acetone mixed in for a solution to soak the rubber in. Works wonders.

9Back to top Go down    Re: Troubleshooting.... on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:36 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Not sure about the price of the fuel hose in other countries but over here BMW sell the genuine stuff in a 1 metre length for €19. for the sake of it I would go for the original and my advice to anyone getting a K is to replace them. They perish, crack and then leak. as soon as you start on and off with the tank its only a matter of time. Make them slightly longer and you can move the tank to access the relay box and the radiator cap without disconnecting them and less likely to break the spigots.

However, about 2 weeks ago I was able to order a pair of quick release brass fittings, removing the need to disconnect the hoses- simply split the fittings. They haven't arrived yet but looking forward to them.

10Back to top Go down    Re: Troubleshooting.... on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:42 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Sorry to steal your post emw2net...

"However, about 2 weeks ago I was able to order a pair of quick release brass fittings, removing the need to disconnect the hoses- simply split the fittings. They haven't arrived yet but looking forward to them."

Olaf, can you do a bit of a write-up about this please? I may do the same.

Remember Rule No. 6

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum