BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    NKC Adam and Jamie on Sun Feb 15 2015, 05:10

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
I was watching M Bs last night and I don't know whether the program was old or new (it doesn't matter) and subject was hypermiling. (i. e getting max mileage fr given quantity of fuel)

Had cruise control engaged, even on hilly terrain which I think is antithetical to economy. if you're in CC and going up a hill (certainly with smaller motors), the engine gets a wallop of fuel to make sure that it stays at the prescribed speed. If you are using a manual box, then you just leave the pedal where it is and let the vehicle just wash off speed as it comes up to the summit. Then let vehicle pick up momentum and previous speed as it goes down the other side. Uses LESS fuel
Everyone agree ?????????????????

Next.
They keep on doing fuel tests by pouring in a certain quantity of fuel into several test vehicles and then running to "empty"
I don't buy this given that we are not told that the vehicles were run to "empty"prior to test and that the fuel pickup points on any two vehicles may be at different levels. Better to fill to absolute top of tank and then measure fuel needed to fill at end of cycle.
also seems pretty suss that they are using two different vehicles rather than repeating tests with just one vehicle, give poss different state of tune.
Everyone agree ??????????

I've tried to get them on the phone with no result.

Have had two big glasses of wine so i'll crash but expect you guys to work on this while I'm out to it. No hitting.

K100RS 1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay) Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

2Back to top Go down    Re: NKC Adam and Jamie on Sun Feb 15 2015, 06:53

WoodyAUK75

Silver member
Silver member
Actually, I prefer when they put a certain amount of fuel in and run to empty, they usually run a separate tank so they know where they are at. I know with my own mileage tests, I'm never certain if the tank is filled to the same level as last time. I am unsure on the cruise control re hills, but I do know sitting on 100 on cruise gets better fuel economy than me trying to keep it on 100 myself. Could never be bothered to try it at 80 to see if you really get that much extra.

3Back to top Go down    Re: NKC Adam and Jamie on Sun Feb 15 2015, 07:11

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
I can see why they use that method of putting in a certain quantity of fuel because it makes for better television -- everyone in their seats watching to see how far and little maps showing the distance covered. But it's very difficult to combine both the min level in any tank AND the preferred location - in their case the MB depot and in yours - your home. The only way to achieve this, is that prior to the test, the engine is run with the vehicle stationary until it conks out. Not esp good for a petrol engine and risks getting all sorts of crap into the FIS and
very bad with a diesel.
The sensible alternative just does not make for 'good' TV and seems too analytical.
I think in this case they were not using sep tanks just the vehicle one, so ?????/

Previously i'd see them examine the impact of having the tailgate up or down on a ute and they used the same method on DIFFERENT trucks. Now that has got to be very suss.

K100RS 1983 and 1986 (bought a 2nd and put them both together in a dark garage thinking that i would get a heap of parts from the progeny but nothing happened- think they're gay) Laughing Laughing Laughing

1985 K75, Guzzi V7 Special, 1986 GB500, 1974 T500, 1986 MB5 with the whoppa 100cc engine transplant, NC 700 SA Honda, two 1986 Kawasaki BR250s

4Back to top Go down    Re: NKC Adam and Jamie on Sun Feb 15 2015, 07:49

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
To me it makes sense to fill the tank to a known level first and then measure the fill to the same level after travelling a set course.

I liked MB's episode on efficiencies gained from tail-gaiting a semi which found that at 3m you could reduce fuel consumption by 40%

The CC on my old Mitsbishi was great. It seemed to sense when you were coming to the crest of a hill and automatically eased off. A Holden I drove around the same time was tradgic. It would catapult you over the crest at full speed. Took a little getting used to but I thought it was very unsafe.

Fuel: 95 Octane
Engine Oil:Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil: Nulon Synthetic 75W90

5Back to top Go down    Re: NKC Adam and Jamie on Sun Feb 15 2015, 09:20

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
Occasionally when I've been on some especially boring bit of road like the Nyngan -Broken hill. I've got in behind a semi and had a few minutes of quiet and "economical' riding but the thought of some huge dead roo on the road which i wouldn't have time to avoid, got the better of me.
We (NRMC club) guys rode up to Wadesville this morning and one bod hit a dog on the Nimbin road. Not pretty. Because I ride this

and make a smoke cloud, they want me to ride at the back. Good part is that I seem to miss all the crashes and dogs.

6Back to top Go down    Re: NKC Adam and Jamie on Sun Feb 15 2015, 11:32

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
I think the CC helps overall as I'm getting the high 50's on the K1600. That's mpg UK gallons btw.
Of course, it will use more on hills because you're asking it to do more work. If you have Carpal Tunnel problems, you need CC.
Ultimately, you're right. It's all about making 'good' TV.
Love the T500! Had one years ago and a GT after that.
Always preferred the T, although the disc on the GT was much better. In the dry anyway.
Used to set the points with a dial gauge rather than the marks. Made a massive difference to smoothness and economy. You could feel more vibration as it got near the next point setting.

1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

7Back to top Go down    Re: NKC Adam and Jamie on Mon Feb 16 2015, 01:52

RicK G

VIP
VIP
My T500 was blue and traded it on a GT750 water bottle, both were exceptionally reliable but that wouldn't have taken much considering I came from a 59 Bonnie which to be honest wasn't one of England's finest.

8Back to top Go down    Re: NKC Adam and Jamie on Mon Feb 16 2015, 02:47

werewasi

Platinum member
Platinum member
careful Rick,
I think the triumphophiles have the equivalent of the FATWAH for that sort of thing.

Like the T500 engine because it's not the least bit peaky and will run along at 3000rpm and then pull away cleanly. Will have to go at the end of the year because I've got the BRs and the GB reaching 30.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum