BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Left hand side indicator paddle on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:20 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Picked up another K100 on the weekend. The real only problem I've found with it is that the plastic paddle for the LH indicator is broken off. Does anyone have one of these, or an old LH switch block?
Its an 88 K100RT.
cheers, Phil

2Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:44 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
P/N  61 31 9 062 462 SET: REPAIR KIT FLASHER KNOB $7.06

Paddles for both sides.

1988 K100RS SE

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:25 pm

blaKey

blaKey
Life time member
Life time member
12 dollars from Munich Cycles in Perth...you should have them in "a cupla days".

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

4Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:42 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
Surprised--o:
@Point-Seven-five wrote:P/N  61 31 9 062 462 SET: REPAIR KIT FLASHER KNOB $7.06

Paddles for both sides.
Cheap as. I'll just buy a set. Thought they would be more than that.

5Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:49 am

blaKey

blaKey
Life time member
Life time member
I hope I'm wrong, but you won't pick them up from a BMW dealer here in Oz for that cheap!

6Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:53 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I have to apologize, the price posted is in U.S. dollars.  Pasted from Max BMW.  I suppose you guys will have the exchange and VAT to add.

At least you can get the parts.

1988 K100RS SE

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

7Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:34 pm

blaKey

blaKey
Life time member
Life time member
It's all good P-S-f!

You are lucky that you can get them that cheap!

8Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:30 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
I feel for you guys.  Over here, Max BMW's parts fiches just had another across the board price increase.  I think it is the second one in less than a year.  This one looks like 7-8%.  When I look at old threads and see what parts cost as recently as 3-4 years ago, it's pretty clear to me that BMW is trying to discourage us from keeping our old bikes running with OEM parts.   

I can understand it, though.  The parts aren't being made anymore, so there are no more inventory turns happening.  What is in stock just keeps laying there taking up space and costing more in carrying charges.  Then too, every one of us is a potential customer for a new bike when they can get us to dump the old ones.

1988 K100RS SE

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

9Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:24 pm

Rockman

Life time member
Life time member
@blaKey wrote:I hope I'm wrong, but you won't pick them up from a BMW dealer here in Oz for that cheap!
 Not too bad actually  $12 a set from Munich M/C in Perth, plus about $10 postage.

10Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:16 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
BMWNA has raised their prices just once this year, early January, due to Germany raising theirs. There are quarterly price changes, most of which are increases, but not always and not always for all parts. Lately, it has more to do with the Euro dropping rapidly in value against the Greenback than old stock sitting in the Dingolfing (German) warehouse, than making them a massive margin. A fair few of the OEM parts we receive are not parts made back in the '80 and '90s that have been sitting gathering dust, but are in fact repros and new parts made to current demand. Also, not just 'old' parts but brand new spares for current bikes have increased significantly in cost as well.

As for dealers making huge profit margins, rubbing their hands together in glee at the customer's suffering. Bollocks. Many struggle to cover their costs. It's the way it has always been, and it is getting harder with the internet (think Revzilla, Amazon, etc.) and the shop-from-home experience we are growing accustomed to. The only thing we have to offer in a brick and mortar shop against the virtual warehoses is experience, product knowledge and perhaps a fleeting sense of community of sorts. But how long can we hold out? That's a rhetorical question.

If we rely on the school systems to turn out hard working, productive employees we are stuffed. Most teenagers want $75,000 a year to start and expect it! Where are the old guard motorbike shops you used to know, where you could soak in a cup of coffee or tea, read a dog-eared bike magazine on the sofa, or wander about having a squiz at the new and the secondhand bikes, parts and accessories? They simply cannot compete in the price cutting war if that's the playing field we are expected to 'play' on.

Ten years ago the average margin/mark up was near 38% on OEM parts. A part that retailed for $99 was purchased by the dealers for $60. Now it's closer to 32%, and all good customers expect a discount. Mate's rates for all. OK, so shall we drop it, make it 20% off? Now we've got a final margin that's more akin to single digits than double. In order to 'make' 40% one must mark something up 1.67 times. This formula applies to aftermarket as well. In spite of popular opinion, no one is making 100% margin in this business, anywhere, even on apparel.

We used to keep less than $200,000 at cost on the shelf for a reasonable turnover and a readily accessible supply. Now we keep more than $400,000 at cost due to the staggering, dizzying array of parts and accessories and the amount of part numbers available to new and old bikes alike, as well as the increased basic costs. We strive to keep the lights on, pay our employees a living wage and have an attempt at inventory turns.

It's happening in all businesses, retail and otherwise. Why do I personally do it? In spite of the daily headache there is pleasure in sharing with riders, new and experienced alike, the joy I feel from riding. It's because I like what I do.

"I took my bag into a grocery store
The price is higher than the time before
An old man asked me, 'Why is it more?' "

~Paul Mcartney
Junior's Farm

Please pardon my rant, but I'm off to do battle in the trenches for my crust.

1987 K100RS, '89 K100 w/K1100RS engine, '93 Framed K11/K12 engine 'Big Block', '96 K1100RS, '09 K1300GT, '13 R1200RT-P, '95 R100 Mystic & '77 R75/7.

11Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
@Two Wheels Better wrote: it has more to do with the Euro dropping rapidly in value against the Greenback
If such was the case the price should be lower in the U.S. 

I seem to recall the current manufacturing inflation rate to be something in the range of 4-5%.  Combined with a stronger dollar, I would think we would be justified in expecting the parts price "adjustment" to be a bit less than 7-8%.  

I don't keep track of BMWNA new bike sales, so I can't comment on that part of their cash flow.  If new bike sales are flat, it would be easy to see how they would need to boost income from the parts and service side of the business.  The side effect of that policy would be to make new bikes more attractive and thus boost sales of machines with warranties.  It's exactly what I would do if I were in charge. 

In today's economy I feel for anyone in a service or retail business.  I have no issues with the guys that work in the dealerships.  A lot of them are working for little more than the love of the marque.  On the other hand, I have some background in manufacturing, and when I look at the prices of some parts I can only shake my head.

Having just done a lot of work on two K bikes I guess I am a bit sensitive to OEM parts prices, and very glad the work is finished.

1988 K100RS SE

Past:
1994 BMW K75S
1992 BMW K100RS
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

12Back to top Go down   Left hand side indicator paddle Empty Re: Left hand side indicator paddle on Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:45 am

WoodyAUK75

WoodyAUK75
Silver member
Silver member
Those paddles come up on ebay every so often, but there don't seem to be any at the moment. Here is an old link http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BMW-K75-100-K1100-Indicator-Paddles-BOTH-LHS-/251828565255?ssPageName=ADME:SS:SS:AU:3160 I agree with the price rise problem, that z shaped hose went from $15 to $30 between the last two I purchased.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum