BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:26 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
For those of you who dont use synthetic gear box oil, you bloody well should.

I have used mineral, semi synthetic and now fully synthetic and the fully synthetic is like using a brand new silky smoothy Japanese gear box. 

The improvement in feel can not be over stated. Wish Id not been a tight arse and done it right from the get go. 

The gear box feel was one of the things I did not like about this bike. But that gripe has basically been eradicated! Fantastic result.

2Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Well tell us what sort you used, oils aint oils you know Floyd.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:00 pm

Rickmeister

Rickmeister
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, Floyd...Tell us. I'm keen, as my gearbox is also quite "Klunky"

4Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:08 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Penrite ProGear 75w 90 Fully Synthetic. 

From Repco

I was using semi synthetic in the FD for a while but it leaked past the seal and then I read that the earlier FD's prefer mineral....so its mineral in the engine and FD and fully synthetic in the GB

Synthetic Gear Oil PROG7590001

5Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:58 pm

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Hey Floyd, it's all very well having a smooth operating gear shift but what about those of us who have been riding BMWs for a few years - we would think we had got onto the wrong bike if the gearshift wasn't clunky.  Wink

6Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:04 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Yeah at least you know it has changed gear.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

7Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:16 pm

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Uh oh.  Another oil post.  💣

I wonder how many pages this one will take up? scratch

8Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:53 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Well I've just bought some Nulon semi synthetic over a totally synthetic mainly because.... I'm a tight arse Laughing 
But I think I'll take your advice and return that and shell out a little more. Sounds like a good investment.

Cheers Floyd

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Synthetic Gear Oil Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

9Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:57 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:Well I've just bought some Nulon semi synthetic over a totally synthetic mainly because.... I'm a tight arse Laughing 
But I think I'll take your advice and return that and shell out a little more. Sounds like a good investment.

Cheers Floyd

I did the same Kap. Bought the semi over the fully coz of the tight arse factor....

But now I have done the fully there is NO WAY I would get anything else. 

I barely noticed a difference between the mineral and the semi. But the fully is a noticeable difference right away.

Ive also got the clutch cable finally routed where its got a featherlight pull and that may be contributing to my perception of silky shifting Wink

10Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
floyd wrote:
Ive also got the clutch cable finally routed where its got a featherlight pull and that may be contributing to my perception of silky shifting Wink
I have an issue with engaging my clutch atm. I'm going to look at routing and adjustment this weekend and if that doesn't fix it I'll prob need to look at my clutch push rod seal. There's a bit of oil seeping out down there.

Last edited by Kaptain Holister on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

11Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:54 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, I made he change once and yes it was silk smooth, but mine gearbox's old seals didn't like the stuff and begun to drip it out.
I tried the synth way, but, before replacing all the gearbox's seals, returned to the old dino stuff, and no more dripping.
So I´ll wait until the old seals retirement to change to synth.
Best regards
JAP

12Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:10 pm

floyd

floyd
Life time member
Life time member
japuentes wrote:Hi there, I made he change once and yes it was silk smooth, but mine gearbox's old seals didn't like the stuff and begun to drip it out.
I tried the synth way, but, before replacing all the gearbox's seals, returned to the old dino stuff, and no more dripping.
So I´ll wait until the old seals retirement to change to synth.
Best regards
JAP

Yeah it certainly finds its way into smaller gaps and cracks...I suppose thats what makes it sooo silky.

I noticed a weep around my darin and fill plugs. They both had brand new crush washers and I had to tighten them both up a lot tighter then I have ever had to do it before, to stop the weeping....

I also initially slightly over filled it, which I think may have slightly blown out the clutch push rod seal....But thats kinda ok...as I need to get back into that area this week....

(ACTUALLY....can the clutch push rod seal be changed easily from the exterior of the box? I cant recall...)

I made a total school boy error when taking the back end off the other day....removed the shock and forgot to support the FD and swing arm.....and BANG, the whole assembly drops destroying my swing arm rubber and the rubber clutch boot.....not a cheap mistake. Its absolutely ridiculous and insulting how much more expensive parts are in Aus then the UK....The clutch boot alone, down under, is around $70. hi-way robbery! Thank Kod for motobins/works

13Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:30 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
You can get at the seal from the back, make sure you check out which way it needs to go in. You are actually looking at the inside of the seal from where the boot is and the shaft will come out the back on all but  the K75.

14Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:52 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
The Nulon synthetic GB oil has been in for nearly 4 weeks now and I can honestly say the difference is very noticable. Smoother and quieter. Haven't had any oil weeping out anywhere so far, so all good.
I've done 1500klm on the synth and it looks like I'm getting slightly better fuel economy as well. I hung onto the semi-synth I'd bought and used that in the FD.

Last week I did an engine oil change and used fully synthetic also. Noticeable difference with a much quieter engine and again, better fuel economy on my trip down the coast over the long weekend.

15Back to top Go down   Synthetic Gear Oil Empty Re: Synthetic Gear Oil Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:28 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Castrol full-synthetic 75W140 goes into the final drives and gearboxes on all of my bikes, and I've never had any of them leak. Afterall, the majority were built post 1981 when Buna-N began to be included in larger quantities into rubber seals which makes them more flexible, better able to handle temperature extremes, and more importantly, less susceptible to oil leaking past. The earlier models I own have had their seals changed over time.

Old, hard seals and worn out shafts...leakers gunna leak.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum