BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Noisy fuel pump Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:58 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Just back on the road after the winter layup...........I take no pleasure in salty/icy/wet poor visibility on crowded roads..........It wasn't till I removed my ear plugs and started the bike up to pull it forward into the garage that I realised the fuel pump had become very noisy. Certainly wasn't there at the initial warm up. left it to cool and went back out to start it, just the usual hum of the pump. I've since noticed it comes and goes but there is no drop in performance. I can't really establish a pattern but if I were being super-analytical it seems to be more prevalent as I come off the throttle. Fuel filter was changed about 1500 miles ago and looking in the tank I can't see anything untoward.

Any thoughts??

2Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:59 pm

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
clips that hold the damper down have come unsprung ?

did you drain the tank after the layup and put new fuel in ?

just a couple of thoughts

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:37 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Back in late '13, after an 18 month layup in my storage shed, my K-RS's fuel pump became noisy to the point of screaming when hot or on a longer ride. The fuel had turned nearly brown but did not smell too bad. I reckon it was the rubber breaking down due to some ethanol-laced petrol I had to use once or twice whilst travelling. I used the recommended dose of Sta-bil in the fuel during the sleepy time. But out on the road it nearly left me for dead in a threatening thunderstorm (that dropped record rains that night) in the rainforest up on the Great Dividing Range in NSW. The symptoms were that of cutting out like a rev limiter and incessant stumbling. I limped it home on a rainy arvo from Grafton to just south of Brissy next day after a night in a welcoming pub.

A year later when I returned home for another long ride, I brought a new pump and ancillaries along with me on the aeroplane and replaced it. 5000 kms later she hums like she should with nary a stutter or stammer.

4Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:04 am

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Charlie, tank was empty bar a couple of litres on lay up. I'll check the damper clips once I've got the fuel level down a bit.

TWB my fear is that the pump just packs up and I do have a good spare but I've also read that it might be the pressure release valve kicking in due to kinked hoses. I've just replaced mine with FI appropriate hose but obviously not the proper shaped BMW ones. I'll check to see if there is a slight kink causing the problem.

5Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:15 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
mine grumbles and always has ...for at least 70,000 ...but then again I have taken a couple of topples
just recently I opened the tank again and found the clips had released ....has been a lot quieter just recently ...but as the fuel load gets down ...more noise is apparent ...that's why I thought to suggest it..  if your on a rs ..it might be harder to hear it  rt-lt  s tend to collect noise in behind that big wind breaker

good luck

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:29 am

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Charlie, mines a 'naked' early k100. I'll post back once Ive done a bit more investigative work.

7Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Update Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:07 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
It seems that I upset my K100 with the replacement fuel hose I used. I made the return hose a couple of c/m longer to facilitate tank removal, this has caused a slight kink. When I press on the kink to effectively straighten the hose, the pump defaults to the usual low level hum.

8Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:45 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
sounds like your onto it ...

good luck

9Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:38 am

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Cheers Charlie.

10Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:16 pm

Fentible

Fentible
Silver member
Silver member
Well it seems that I was a little premature with regard to my screaming fuel pump and that pressing the hose was coincidental to the noise going.

I replaced my 'replacement' hoses with genuine articles and still got intermittent screaming, it seems worse when you rev and quieter on tick over.

So I drained the tank and checked the fuel filter against a brand new one I had. Whilst I could easily blow through the new one, the removed one took a bit more effort suggesting it was getting blocked. So I fitted the new one and the pump was immediately quieter with the odd screech. The filter I removed was only fitted 1500 miles ago so I thought maybe the rubber damper was breaking up (as has been suggested) but its intact with no flotsam in the coarse filter at the bottom of the pump. I'm now wondering excessively dirty petrol.........I tend to buy from the same source but the cars and other bikes have not suffered.

The pump is a lot quieter now but still does not seem as quiet as it used to be, although the screeching does seem to be diminishing. I do have another pump taken from a spare tank but I'll run the fitted one for a few miles to see if everything settles down. My fear is I've damaged the existing pump.

No drop in performance, suggesting its not the FPR, in fact the bike is running extremely well.

11Back to top Go down   Noisy fuel pump Empty Re: Noisy fuel pump Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:40 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
The screeching is often a sign of just plain and simple wear. The rollers in a roller cell pump do some amazing amount of work and last  a very long time. Eventually the rollers wear and then chatter as they revolve and screech is the exact term I would use to describe the noise.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum