BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    Starter clutch on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:04 pm

Rockman


Life time member
Life time member
The starter clutch on my 84 RT isnt working, just spins and does nothing. I know the problem is that its gummed up with sludge, and I fixed the same problem on my 88 RT using Nulon engine flush. This doesnt seem to be working on the 84. I sort of think I need to give the clutch sprags a bit of a jolt to get them moving so that the engine flush can do its bit. I did think of taking the starter motor off and inseting a suitable sized drift into the hole and giving the clutch a sharp rap to get things moving, but before I do that I'm looking for alternatives. Tried rocking the bike back and forward, tried roll starting it, tried short bursts on the starter motor. Any suggestions?

    

2Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:44 pm

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
I would not be giving it a hit. To me it sounds as if you have the old type of 3 roller clutch not the later sprag type and it may well be just worn out which usually happened fairly quickly. Maybe get some carb and throttle body cleaner and squirt a heap in through the hole so as to get it on and over the clutch mechanism then a bit of rocking with the starter in, it may remove some of the build up.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:35 am

Rockman


Life time member
Life time member
G'day Rick. Yes its an 84 model so probably the older type. It was working ok up until a month ago when the brushes in the starter motor gave out. Replaced them and the motor now motors well, but I think sitting around hasn't done the clutch any favours. I wasnt actually going to HIT it, just some little taps to shake things around a bit. Smile

    

4Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:26 am

kioolt

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
It's possible that when you rebuilt the starter motor you got the housing reversed.  That will cause the starter to run backwards and give you the same symptoms as a bad starter clutch.


__________________________________________________
2004 R1150RT 178,100 miles 
1991 K100LT 128,700 miles
1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 413,700 BMW miles

AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA


The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
    

5Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:50 am

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
kioolt wrote:It's possible that when you rebuilt the starter motor you got the housing reversed.  That will cause the starter to run backwards and give you the same symptoms as a bad starter clutch.
Quite possible. Try turning the housing of the starter 180° in relation to the brush holder plate. Because the starter uses permanent magnets unlike most car starters, the magnetic field is reversed and the starter turns the opposite direction.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

6Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:01 am

92KK 84WW Olaf


Life time member
Life time member
Its easy to reverse it. Before you open it mark it with marker so you don't put it back the same way. After you reassemble it make a permanent pair of marks so you can align it next time. I found its a little more fiddly reassembling it when you are doing it to the correct way. Its goes real easy the wrong way.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Baja Red bought 36,000 now 84,100 miles
    

7Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:08 pm

Rockman


Life time member
Life time member
Aha - distinct possibility. I lost my mark when I dismantled it so its very likely that I've got it backwards. 50-50 chance. I'll pull it out on sunday and try it rotated 180.

    

8Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:26 pm

smithy

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Rockman wrote:Aha - distinct possibility. I lost my mark when I dismantled it so its very likely that I've got it backwards. 50-50 chance. I'll pull it out on sunday and try it rotated 180.

No need to dismantle it Phil, just bench test and see the direction it's turning, if it turns clock wise you've got it wrong, it needs to turn anti-clockwise.


__________________________________________________
87 K100rs : Vin 9462 
86 K100rt : Vin 9901
Naked
98 K1100lt: Vin 8044
    

9Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:30 pm

Rickmeister

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Sorry, Smithy!...Is that looking from the front of the bike, towards the rear, or from the rear of the bike towards the front?


__________________________________________________
Assumption is the root of all stuff-ups!
    

10Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:43 pm

smithy

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
Rickmeister wrote:Sorry, Smithy!...Is that looking from the front of the bike, towards the rear, or from the rear of the bike towards the front?

From the rear towards the front


__________________________________________________
87 K100rs : Vin 9462 
86 K100rt : Vin 9901
Naked
98 K1100lt: Vin 8044
    

11Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Rockman


Life time member
Life time member
smithy wrote:
Rockman wrote:Aha - distinct possibility. I lost my mark when I dismantled it so its very likely that I've got it backwards. 50-50 chance. I'll pull it out on sunday and try it rotated 180.

No need to dismantle it Phil, just bench test and see the direction it's turning, if it turns clock wise you've got it wrong, it needs to turn anti-clockwise.
 Good idea, although I'd almost bet my left one that its the problem.

    

12Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 am

92KK 84WW Olaf


Life time member
Life time member
Because its just been out nothing will be seized up. You will probably do it in the time it takes to cook breakfast....

When I took mine out I did find a hard to see set of alignment marks on it, two notches about 1/8 inch apart and a matching pair on the end plate. But I had already seen the warnings about polarity so made my own marks. Even a marker will do if you do it before you open it....until you decide to clean it all up before you reassemble and find the marker is now gone.


__________________________________________________
1992 K100LT 0193214 101,000 miles
1984 K100RT 0022575 Baja Red bought 36,000 now 84,100 miles
    

13Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Rockman


Life time member
Life time member
92KK 84WW Olaf wrote:Because its just been out nothing will be seized up. You will probably do it in the time it takes to cook breakfast....

When I took mine out I did find a hard to see set of alignment marks on it, two notches about 1/8 inch apart and a matching pair on the end plate. But I had already seen the warnings about polarity so made my own marks. Even a marker will do if you do it before you open it....until you decide to clean it all up before you reassemble and find the marker is now gone.
That is sort of what happened. I put a small scratch mark across both halves when I took it apart. Then I decided to clean up the housing with a wire brush. Scratch mark is gone. I could see one side of the two alignment marks you mentioned, but not the other. Anyway, easily fixed.

    

14Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Rockman


Life time member
Life time member
Fixed Very Happy . Not only did I have it misalighned, but the centre magnet section was upside down. probably why I couldnt find my mark.

    

15Back to top Go down    Re: Starter clutch on Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:53 pm

kioolt

avatar
Silver member
Silver member
I don't believe that upside side down would not make any difference but front end to back end reversed will change the polarity of the magnets and reverse the motor.  I'm glad I was able to help.


__________________________________________________
2004 R1150RT 178,100 miles 
1991 K100LT 128,700 miles
1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
Total 413,700 BMW miles

AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA


The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum