BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Moomin_Man

Came across this camera, tried, tested...loved it. Thought I would share.

I'm sure people have reviewed the usual budget spy cams and hidden fob cams already.
I personally dislike having to mess around with them, holding buttons for different modes, low battery life and average video quality. They seem to average around $10-15 with P&P then you still need an SD card and suitable way to mount them that isn't permenant.

Came across this Remote Cam on DHGate and it's been excellent so far!

$33.00 + a suitable SD card (Ideally 32gb)
I only wanted a cam for my security in case of an accident, so a basic spy-cam was no good for quality.

-It's discreet
-Lithium battery lasts for a LONG time
-Remote Controlled
-Good FPS
-Good auto light levelling
-Good audio
-You can set date and time for embedding too

Watch in HD - (YouTube seems to have lost some of the quality during conversion)
Mixed clips with sun from various angles.

With this camera, I hop on my bike, press 2 buttons on a remote control key fob, and that's it. No fiddling with my helmet or attaching cameras. It vibrates to let you know it's turned on and has started recording, so no looking out for little flashing indicator lights or sounds. You can also press another button on the fob if you just want to snap some photos whilst riding.
The camera starts filming in 5 minute partitions (set to motion detection).
Averages 500mb every 5 mins on 1080p setting. (That's 5h30m of recording with a 32gb SD)
After this time, you can hold a button down to dump all the footage and start again. So you don't have to take the SD card out.
The auto light balance is pretty good. Iv'e included some footage with the sun at various angles. Even when it's infront of me or bouncing off shiny cars, the camera copes pretty well! The frame rate is excellent and so is the resolution. It's not a wide angle lens, which is a shame, but at the same time, not really a big issue.
I've embedded the lithium battery and card-reader inside my helmet, behind padding. The ribbon camera then runs to the front of my helmet and is glued onto the front using a sprung paperclip to provide a bit of angle so it's not looking at the ground.

The camera is tiny, so not intrusive or obvious on your helmet. The mic is quite sensitive but works well inside my helmet. If I closed my visor fully, I'm sure it would stop the wind noise but would pic up everything I said very well...if i had spoken. When I get back from a long ride, I just plug the USB charger into my helmet and it charges within a few hours.

You get little button attachments for spy cam use but I chucked these. 

Overall, I think for a small amount extra you get a hassle free, subtle Hi-Res camera.
The remote control part was my main motive for purchasing and saves a lot of time messing around.

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
Looks ok. I used a go pro last year and it gave good results but I got tired of all the faffing about when I wanted to use it.
Ended up selling it again. Only dropped £25 on the new price when I sold it on eBay!
I like the way that you have integrated into your helmet, though.
On a different note, what type of speedo are you using on your K?
I'm starting a project and looking for ideas.

2010 R1200GS
1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100RT Madison Silver(gone)
1989 K100LT Stratus Grey(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)
http://www.johnsdrivingschool.co

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
That's looks very impressive for the cost (and free shipping).
Thanks for sharing the link and review with us.
Looking at the video that you posted, I am tempted to order one right now.
My only problem is that they do not take Paypal, and I am a bit worried about giving my credit card information to people in China.
Update:
I just check on Ebay and you can find the same camera where you can use a Paypal account. This is a lot more secure.
Same on Ebay

Moomin_Man

Comberjohn wrote:Looks ok. I used a go pro last year and it gave good results but I got tired of all the faffing about when I wanted to use it.
Ended up selling it again. Only dropped £25 on the new price when I sold it on eBay!
I like the way that you have integrated into your helmet, though.
I'm starting a project and looking for ideas.

Likewise, I used a gopro for my car, but for the price, and sake of messing aorund, I bought a RoadHawk HD with built in G-force detection and location tracking built into the video file. Not so good for on a bike, but was great for car.

The speedo was made by the previous owner. Not sure what the internals and face came from, but I know he retrofitted them into some tubular steel. Unique! If I have his contact details still I'll fire a message his way and see if I can find out.

Last edited by Moomin_Man on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total

Moomin_Man

Crazy Frog wrote:That's looks very impressive for the cost (and free shipping).
Thanks for sharing the link and review with us.
Looking at the video that you posted, I am tempted to order one right now.
My only problem is that they do not take Paypal, and I am a bit worried about giving my credit card information to people in China.
Update:
I just check on Ebay and you can find the same camera where you can use a Paypal account. This is a lot more secure.
Same on Ebay
I just love the fact it's out of sight inside my helmet, battery lasts ages and  it's remote controlled. So much less to worry about. I get fed up putting my motorcyle gear on before I've even started messing around with little cameras Razz

Yeh, I was unsure about DHGate when I first started but I'v since spent around $4000 on shop stock and have had 0 issues. Some cards charge you $1.50 for making an overseas transaction with them, but other than that, they always send items tracked for free (Takes about 11 days to UK), unlike eBay sellers which take a month to get to me in the UK using basic services.

You can 'Buy it now' on eBay cheaper than DHGate: HERE
I just used DHGate as they were cheapest at the time and I got discount for doing a bulk order of items.

Dai

Life time member
Life time member
Comberjohn wrote:
The faceplate is Japanese. I'm struggling to remember the bike it came from but I think it may be an early Honda CB750.

'03 Suzuki Blandit GSF600SK3 (NFS any more because wifey has claimed it)

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
Not sure, Dai.
I had a K1 750 Honda and don't remember the lines at the bottom of the face. Idiot lights are in the wrong place and wrong shape. Can't see a trip meter either.
Be curious to know more.

2010 R1200GS
1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

Moomin_Man

Comberjohn wrote:Not sure, Dai.
I had a K1 750 Honda and don't remember the lines at the bottom of the face. Idiot lights are in the wrong place and wrong shape. Can't see a trip meter either.
Be curious to know more.

I'll get a proper photo when I can.
The needle bounces all over the place, so I don't know what speed I'm doing! Riding in a 30mph zone yesterday and an elderly lady suddenly tried to overtake me, so I'm guessing it's inaccurate Shocked
Possibly kinked cable?

RicK G

VIP
VIP
Maybe Ducati they used gauges similar in the 80s

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
Cable? Now I'm really curious.

2010 R1200GS
1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

Moomin_Man

Comberjohn wrote:Cable? Now I'm really curious.
I actually haven't even looked yet! I guessed there would be a mechanical cable for the speedo and a trip counter (when it once had one). (I'm so naive stupid) Only ever repaired a 70's bug speedo, which had a mechanical cable.

Moomin_Man

As requested. Photos of speedo. The bike also seems to have some custom circuitry to compensate for all the missing parts of original instrument cluster.

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
Got me. Anyone else any idea what it's from?

2010 R1200GS
1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
Comberjohn wrote:Got me. Anyone else any idea what it's from?
I don't remember any rice cooker bikes using Motomaster instruments.

robmack

Life time member
Life time member
Isn't is just a repackaged K cluster?

http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/

Comberjohn

Life time member
Life time member
You're right! That's what it is.
That's giving me an idea as the original case on my clocks is damaged anyway.
Shouldn't be too difficult to pick up an old speedo case to use for a transplant.

2010 R1200GS
1986 K100 Silver(gone)
2012 K1600GT(gone)
1984 K100 Red(gone)

Life time member
Life time member
Well spotted Robmack. 

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

Bike: K100LT 1988. 0172363. AKA the Bullion Brick! Mods: k1100 screen and stands.
K1: 1990. 6374189. Custom Stealth Black paint.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Onya Robmack!

Remember Rule No. 6

Two Wheels Better

The gauge was looking somehow familiar, and then I magnified the image to see that it's a MotoMeter. Simple and effective. I have not yet worked out what to use on my project. Trailtech (Vapour) are too basic, though inexpensive. Koso, Acewell and Motogadget have higher costs and more complication that I want. I was thinking about a simple Japanese speedo head, possibly with different guts...I really don't 'need' a tacho, but that's for another post elsewhere. Rolling Eyes

There's a fair amount of head checking you've gotta do in those busy town lanes, eh. A rusty old Cortina could jump out atcha in no time.

I might give that cam a go.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

Moomin_Man

Two Wheels Better wrote:
There's a fair amount of head checking you've gotta do in those busy town lanes, eh. A rusty old Cortina could jump out atcha in no time.

Haha, I'm still a new rider and can't be too careful! You'd be amazed the speed young lads come round those cobbled streets. They just enjoy hearing their tyres screeching on the cobbles I think.

Two Wheels Better

Agreed, new or old, one can't be too careful. Three weeks back a longtime customer and his wife, both seasoned riders in their sixties, stopped then proceeded into the street. He saw it was clear and accelerated, she followed shortly thereafter, but without looking both ways. A fast-moving car collected her. He is now a widower. She lost a leg and her life, dying at the roadside in his and the medic's arms. Nuh, never too careful, newie or not.

'77 R75/7-1000cc, '87 K100RS, '93 K12 Big Block, '94 R100 Mystic, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150RT, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R & '09 K1300GT

Holister

Life time member
Life time member
The state government here has a media campaign at the moment to raise motorist's awareness of motorcyclists. But it won't stop those idiots who speed especially in built up areas. Roundabouts are the biggest problem IMO. Most people don't know how to use them properly and then you get the numnuts who STILL use their mobile phones while driving.
The Cramera sounds like a good idea.

Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum