BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Instrument cluster fitment on Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:10 pm

Bill Di

my bike is an 89 k100 rs
can anyone tell me what bikes will use the same cluster, I just ordered one from a 90 k100rt , my research shows it to be the same. would love a second opinion,

2Back to top Go down    Re: Instrument cluster fitment on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:04 pm

Stan

Life time member
Life time member
As far as I know the clusters are all basically the same except for the different graphics on the faces. The main change was in 1985 when you went from 2 low fuel lights to one. I currently have a K75 cluster on my K100..no problems. Biggest problem with all clusters in this part of the world is that the plastics gears that run the odo and trip meter either melt or become like candle wax and die.

1983 K100basic vin 0003960 colour red
1987 K100RT vin 0094685 colour, orange peel, sorry, pearl

3Back to top Go down    Re: Instrument cluster fitment on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:29 pm

KafeRacer

Silver member
Silver member
Be careful there are two different pin styles, earlier bikes like my 85 have flat pins and newer bikes like my 90 have round (if I remember correctly). I don't know when they made the change.

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer
http://kaferacer.wordpress.com

4Back to top Go down    Re: Instrument cluster fitment on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:40 pm

KafeRacer

Silver member
Silver member
It looks like the change was 4/85, according to the following:

http://www.paspeedo.com/bmwcompletek.htm

Which lines up with my observation since my 85 was produced in 07/84 and my 90 was obviously made well after the change.

1990 K75RT
1985 K100 Kafe Racer
http://kaferacer.wordpress.com

5Back to top Go down    Re: Instrument cluster fitment on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:38 am

Bill Di

thats good news,
one thing I did notice that may be different is the weight/back mounting plate on the back, mine seems to have brakets with two small holes that you push a 6mm threaded stud plate through and then the nuts

the one I ordered had more of the ear type mounts (two regular holes ). Ive also been hearing a lot about these plastic gears. Im a retired Import car technician, (Park Ave BMW in NJ, (cars) and Ferrari Maserati of Central NJ) and it was a problem with some of the cars. Is there anything that can be done, to slow down/ prevent further damage to those gears? here in Florida it gets wicked hot and that cant be good

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum