BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down    Riding Apperal on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:42 pm

Rickmeister

Life time member
Life time member
Dear All,

My son has bought himself a pair of Kevlar lined riding jeans. One of his mates had a get-off wearing these and not a scratch! They look and feel just like a normal pair of jeans.

Has anybody out there tried them at all yet and what are your views?

2Back to top Go down    Kevlar Jeans on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:46 pm

RT

Life time member
Life time member
Hello everyone,
I've had a pair for over 10 years after seeing a demonstration of a man being dragged on his backside down a racetrack, no damage. They have lasted really well and are good to wear when it is just a bit cold but not cold enough for full leathers. I guess the knee support is not there as in pads, but for gravel rash avoidance they are the business.
Hope the northern sun is warming you guys up
RT

3Back to top Go down    Re: Riding Apperal on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 pm

Crazy Frog

admin
admin
These are great, but they will never replace a good riding suit. As RT pointed, they don't have any padding and protect only from road rashes.
I do wear kevlar jeans during the hot summer days, but I am now thinking of buying a compression short to give me extra padding in case of crash. I was looking at Riders Discount products and I am considering getting a pair. They are only $50 and if they are padded on the bum too, they can increase your comfort on long rides.

4Back to top Go down    Re: Riding Apperal on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:06 am

The original 'Draggin' jeans, Sartso, Teknic and others, are very popular Down Under where it gets hot. They're Kevlar-lined and some of them you can add protection pads to, as they stick quite well to the yellow Kevlar material inside. Of course they're not as protective as leather or even some of the high-tech, padded synthetics, but if you're hooning about and have a prang, at least you're wearing something other than basic jeans, which shred in less than two metres on tarmac.

My Summer riding pants are the BMW Summer II with knee, hip and thigh armour. When I get to my campsite I can zip off the lower leg bits and scare off potentials, old ladies and little children with my lilly-white chicken legs!

5Back to top Go down    Re: Riding Apperal on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:52 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
I suspect Kevlar is better than leather by a good margin also padded shorts whilst good for comfort should never be considered as providing any significant rider protection for an off. If crash protection is required the use of the higher Euro Standard crash padding is the way to go.
Regards,
K-BIKE

6Back to top Go down    Re: Riding Apperal on Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:23 am

Kevlar will shred after a while, it's just not as durable as good old animal skin. Have a look at what local club racers, TT, MotoGP and WSBK riders wear. I suspect there's some Kevlar there, but for sure it's underneath a covering of cow, deer, 'roo or elk hide, with ballistics-like pads for the touch-down points. No race sanctioning body allows an all-Kevlar suit.

BTW, I managed a wet road low-side a coupla years ago on the Mornington Peninsula in a greasy roundabout. My Summer II trousers melted at one knee just slightly, but I came away without a scratch because I was well-padded at the contact points. I'd never ride in jeans. At my age and with the kilometres (and miles) under my various two wheels I have a sense of my own mortality.

7Back to top Go down    Re: Riding Apperal on Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:27 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
How scary is it when you see riders only in jeans and a tee shirt...and their pillion too!

Some people have no idea.

Remember Rule No. 6

8Back to top Go down    Re: Riding Apperal on Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:47 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Then there is always the safety thongs, and the young ladies of the scooter fraternity, while providing a pleasant distraction, the thought of all that skin hitting the road is not pleasant.

Regards,

Phil

9Back to top Go down    Re: Riding Apperal on Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Ned

Life time member
Life time member
@phil_mars wrote:Then there is always the safety thongs, and the young ladies of the scooter fraternity, while providing a pleasant distraction, the thought of all that skin hitting the road is not pleasant.

Regards,

Phil

Where I ride I find that younger generation are very sensible if not a little boring. They are decked out in all the latest protective, fashionable, expensive, safe leathers, jackets, helmets even on hottest of days. Most are on superbikes.

The big offenders are the middle aged, older cruiser fraternity with mature ladies on the back. Most are in T shirts, leather vests, short helmets and the ladies are often in Lycra shorts, singlets, but wearing full face ... maybe the make-up is in danger of sliding off Smile. And yes, they make up at least 50% of all bikes on the road during summer weekends.

10Back to top Go down    Riding Apparel on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:47 pm

It does gives a new sense of urgency to the old phrase 'hit the road' when you imagine what could happen to that (often many acres of) unprotected female skin thundering past on their heavyweight motorbikes. I shudder to think.

Personally, I enjoy rather a bit more seeing those half-helmeted office girls and uni students out and about, tanned and limber thighs, knees together, buzzing about town and weaving through traffic on their Vespas and scooters, Summertime flimsy skirts flapping, or short shorts up round their...

Sorry, off track a mo' there. Safety, yeah, that's what it's all about...Safety.

11Back to top Go down    Re: Riding Apperal on Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:24 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Two Wheels Better is right about the scooter fraternity, sadly the upcoming big uptick in injury related hospital stays for what will be classified as motorcycle accidents will bite us all financially regardless of the fact that we responsibly wear the good protective gear. Huge numbers of scooter riders don't and we are going to see young girls with months of plastic surgery ahead of them because bare legs and tarmac don't mix or perhaps in truth they mix too well.
Regards,
K-BIKE

12Back to top Go down    Riding Apparel on Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:35 am

I remember a fair few years back whilst travelling in America I came upon a motorbike safety message on a billboard in the state of Minnesota, perhaps Wisconsin, where the highway undulated away into the picturesque horizon, a bright sun shone with flowers smiling, trees swaying and birds darting here and there, and the road surface was made to look like a cheese grater, facing towards the rider. The slogan was "It Gives An Entirely New Meaning To The Phrase, Hit The Road".

I recall some well-intentioned folks complained that the message was too harsh, that someone or others feelings might get hurt. I remember having a laugh out loud at the idea that a graphic image could be any worse than the real thing: cheese-grated skin against hot tarmac. Try it sometime. Oh, but wear good riding gloves, it's difficult to pick gravel out of your own skin, or even perform your personal daily ablutions whilst the outer epidermal layers knit themselves slowly back together.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum