BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Sun May 31, 2015 5:10 pm

kenrams

kenrams
Silver member
Silver member
Hi all,

For some mad reason I bought an '85 K100RT on Craigslist a few months ago that had been tore down for "restoration" . I saw the words "cafe racer" in the CL headline and my imagination went into overdrive. So that is my plan and now I am seeing what bits I'll re-use and what I'll not. First plan is put the basics back together and get it running . It really "interesting" figuring out what bits go where Wink . I'll probably simplify the wiring - a lot - using a Motogadget unit and Acewell. I have already done this with my '82 airhead . 

I expect this to be a fun/frustrating learning exercise - I am by no means an expert! - and am looking forward to riding the Brick soon. Here's the progress so far . Oh, is my routing of the fuel pipe from the top of the fuel pressure regulator correct ie between TB #1 and TB#2 (third pic)?

Cheers everyone 

Just joined , New Buffalo Mi P5310113

Just joined , New Buffalo Mi P5310112

Just joined , New Buffalo Mi P5310114

2Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Re: Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Sun May 31, 2015 5:38 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome! I have to say, that's an interesting use of the existing exhaust system!

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Re: Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Sun May 31, 2015 5:51 pm

kenrams

kenrams
Silver member
Silver member
Hi Dai

I initially was thinking about the BSK collector + whatever exhaust but then I was reluctant to just sling the existing nice stainless stock exhaust. As the only thing that bothered me was mainly the length, I got out my hacksaw to look inside and I found the internal baffles are nicely split halfway. So then I just patched the old end on with a triangular bit to upsweep the end. I quite like the look and hope it sounds OK when I eventually get the beast started !

4Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Fuel pipe routing Sun May 31, 2015 6:32 pm

kenrams

kenrams
Silver member
Silver member
I just removed the air cleaner housing so here is a picture from the back showing what I guess is the right routing for the pipe. Can someone confirm this is correct ? I ask as this looks like the shortest route yet it does not fully reach the gas tank. 

Just joined , New Buffalo Mi P5310115

5Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Re: Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Sun May 31, 2015 6:44 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The hose should come out on the front of the plenum chamber, and be connected to
the frontmost spigot on the tank.

6Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Re: Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Sun May 31, 2015 6:59 pm

kenrams

kenrams
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks Inge K. that is was I thought initially as well . However I can't see any room between TB1 and the radiator hose to squeeze a pipe through ...

Just joined , New Buffalo Mi P5310116

Just joined , New Buffalo Mi P5310117

7Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Re: Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Sun May 31, 2015 7:32 pm

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
The return hose is preshaped in both ends, the front end have the shortest part before
the ~90o bend and is routed above the radiator hose.

8Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Re: Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:59 pm

SteveK1

SteveK1
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome kenrams, from one Michigander to another.

it looks like a good project

Honda CB360T 1975

9Back to top Go down   Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Empty Re: Just joined , New Buffalo Mi Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:10 pm

kenrams

kenrams
Silver member
Silver member
Hi SteveK1 

I'm looking forward to finding some decent MI backroads. Most around here are either potholed due to our brutal winters or pretty straight. If you have any MI road recommendations I'd love to hear them.   

Also hoping to try and get the bike to a track day this summer for some legal fast(ish) fun.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum