BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down    New K100 RS 16v Owner on Sun May 31, 2015 6:45 pm

marknico

avatar
active member
active member
Hi all Very Happy
Mark from Shropshire Uk just become an owner of a 1990 k100 rs 16v the abs model
Need abit of advice as my front discs rattle and have a lot of freeplay in them can I tighten or replace the bobbins with bolts ?
Hope someone can advise me on the above and is it safe to ride as is ?
Cheers

    

2Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Sun May 31, 2015 7:37 pm

Inge K.

avatar
VIP
VIP
Motorworks or Motobins have non OEM bobbin sets.
Axial play is OK, but not radial.


__________________________________________________
Inge K.
K100RS -86. (first owner), K1100LTSE -94.
    

3Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:15 am

charlie99

avatar
VIP
VIP
welcome aboard mark

good advice from inge ...yet again


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
    

4Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:22 am

marknico

avatar
active member
active member
Inge K. wrote:Motorworks or Motobins have non OEM bobbin sets.
Axial play is OK, but not radial.

Many thanks is there no way of tightening the bobbins by using a thicker washer for example as bobbin kits are 40 aside which atm I aint got as just lost my job so looking to save cash where possible cheers

    

5Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:51 am

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
Hi Mark welcome to our strange corner. You don't need to be strange to own a K but it helps.
I would be very wary about riding it when the bobbins are in that sort of condition.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

6Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:44 am

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
marknico wrote:
Inge K. wrote:Motorworks or Motobins have non OEM bobbin sets.
Axial play is OK, but not radial.

Many thanks is there no way of tightening the bobbins by using a thicker washer for example as bobbin kits are 40 aside which atm I aint got as just lost my job so looking to save cash where possible cheers
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.
I had some play on an R100R front discs,not too much but more that I wanted. I ran a spot of thread lock into the bobbin,disc and carrier,then left it for a couple of days. Wipe off any excess it you've applied too much.
Results? It reduced the play and still works as it should-for now.

It's worth a try.

Mike.

    

7Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:33 am

marknico

avatar
active member
active member
Motorbike Mike wrote:
marknico wrote:
Inge K. wrote:Motorworks or Motobins have non OEM bobbin sets.
Axial play is OK, but not radial.

Many thanks is there no way of tightening the bobbins by using a thicker washer for example as bobbin kits are 40 aside which atm I aint got as just lost my job so looking to save cash where possible cheers
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.
I had some play on an R100R front discs,not too much but more that I wanted. I ran a spot of thread lock into the bobbin,disc and carrier,then left it for a couple of days. Wipe off any excess it you've applied too much.
Results? It reduced the play and still works as it should-for now.

It's worth a try.

Mike.

Thanks Mike tbh I was thinking of bolting disc to carrier as not bothered about discs floating don`t know if it can be done ? Just the price for parts is silly 12 bobbins 40 should be about 40p each they rob you blind also need a left mirror glass can`t seem to find a cheap replacement :0(

    

8Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:40 am

Motorbike Mike

avatar
Life time member
Life time member
marknico wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:
marknico wrote:

Many thanks is there no way of tightening the bobbins by using a thicker washer for example as bobbin kits are 40 aside which atm I aint got as just lost my job so looking to save cash where possible cheers
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.
I had some play on an R100R front discs,not too much but more that I wanted. I ran a spot of thread lock into the bobbin,disc and carrier,then left it for a couple of days. Wipe off any excess it you've applied too much.
Results? It reduced the play and still works as it should-for now.

It's worth a try.

Mike.

Thanks Mike tbh I was thinking of bolting disc to carrier as not bothered about discs floating don`t know if it can be done ? Just the price for parts is silly 12 bobbins 40 should be about 40p each they rob you blind also need a left mirror glass can`t seem to find a cheap replacement :0(
Try my suggestion first. It's virtually no cost and if it's bolted solid,the disc will more than likely warp with the heat. You could nby half the bobbins and replace just every other one.
It's your choice,good luck with the fix.

    

9Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:43 am

marknico

avatar
active member
active member
Motorbike Mike wrote:
marknico wrote:
Motorbike Mike wrote:
Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum.
I had some play on an R100R front discs,not too much but more that I wanted. I ran a spot of thread lock into the bobbin,disc and carrier,then left it for a couple of days. Wipe off any excess it you've applied too much.
Results? It reduced the play and still works as it should-for now.

It's worth a try.

Mike.

Thanks Mike tbh I was thinking of bolting disc to carrier as not bothered about discs floating don`t know if it can be done ? Just the price for parts is silly 12 bobbins 40 should be about 40p each they rob you blind also need a left mirror glass can`t seem to find a cheap replacement :0(
Try my suggestion first. It's virtually no cost and if it's bolted solid,the disc will more than likely warp with the heat. You could nby half the bobbins and replace just every other one.
It's your choice,good luck with the fix.

I think mine have alittle too much play for the thread lock fix as the right one rattles but thanks for the suggestion Mike Very Happy

    

10Back to top Go down    Re: New K100 RS 16v Owner on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:52 am

RicK G

avatar
VIP
VIP
I used the stainless bobbins from Motobins. They were a little bit cheaper and worked well.


__________________________________________________
If everything seems under control then you aint goin fast enough:- Mario Andretti
Bikes 1986 K100RT, 1993 K1100 LT, 1994 K1100 LT, 1993 K75 RT, 1996 K75RT, 1986 K75 GS, 1979 Z1300 Kawasaki X 2 & 1976 SR 500 Yamaha for now
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum