BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K100 wont start. Empty K100 wont start. Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:33 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
The PO assures me the bike was running this year (rego inspection in January would confirm that)

1. I have fitted the bike with a better battery, it turns over very quickly now
  2. Tank emptied of smelly rotten fuel.
  3. Fuel filter replaced, and one piece of rotten fuel hose(I was hoping this was the answer).
  4. New fuel in tank to immerse the pump.
  5. Visual check, the pump does pump fuel when the starter is pressed
  6. Removed Spark plugs, all D7EAs (with tips fitted), all black and wet which indicates fuel is getting to the cylinder.
  7. Check plug for spark, strong blue spark at the spark plug.
  8. Couldn't get new plugs today but replaced with clean dry Bosch XR7LDC from another running 8 valve motor 
  9. Still won't start, so I have fuel and I have spark but it doesn't run.
  10. The battery is back on charge for the next attempt.

What should be next on my list?  While I'm happy to turn a spanner, diagnostics with FI is not a strong point with me.  I will get some new plugs as soon as I can, just not available locally today (every shopping trip to pick up anything is a 40 min round trip)

I have a complete spare 8 valve engine sitting there that I can thieve parts from for testing, spare computer, spare ignition unit etc.  No more time today, just looking for ideas for my next step.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

K100 wont start. K-dogs10

2Back to top Go down   K100 wont start. Empty Re: K100 wont start. Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:14 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Try to get all the fuel out of the injectors, it doesnt recycle once it has gone in there and if it is stale then no go.
Use a 9v fire alarm battery on the injector to open it because if you put 12v on it for more than a few seconds they overheat the coil then blow out with air and put carb and throttle body cleaner in them overnight and then blow that out and when you put them back there is a better chance of it starting.
Also check the ign timing by making sure the 2 cutaways are even. one on the sensor plate and the other on the housing.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

3Back to top Go down   K100 wont start. Empty Re: K100 wont start. Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:19 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Try to get all the fuel out of the injectors, it doesn't recycle once it has gone in there and if it is stale then no go.
Use a 9v fire alarm battery on the injector to open it because if you put 12v on it for more than a few seconds they overheat the coil then blow out with air and put carb and throttle body cleaner in them overnight and then blow that out and when you put them back there is a better chance of it starting.
Also check the ign timing by making sure the 2 cutaways are even. one on the sensor plate and the other on the housing.
Thanks Rick, gives me something to chase next.  There are spare injectors sitting in 3 other motors(1 x 8v, 2 x 16v) as well.  Too cold and damp to do anything tonight.  Time for a shower to get ride of that putrid bad fuel smell anyway.

Al

4Back to top Go down   K100 wont start. Empty Re: K100 wont start. Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:48 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good luck al

wet plugs ?  open the throttle right up and give a few cranks after cleaning the injectors as rick suggests ......or pull the fuel rail at the take off to the fuel regulator from the fuel rail and let it all drain out at least ..

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

5Back to top Go down   K100 wont start. Empty Re: K100 wont start. Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:28 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
charlie99 wrote:good luck al

wet plugs ?  open the throttle right up and give a few cranks after cleaning the injectors as rick suggests ......or pull the fuel rail at the take off to the fuel regulator from the fuel rail and let it all drain out at least ..

cheers
I already replaced the wet plugs. Just pulled the injectors and rail from the old RS 8v motor. All looks clean.  I'll change them over tomorrow night after a soak maybe.  Starting to sound promising though, it's giving an "I think I can" fire every now and again(on a small throttle opening) till the battery tires. I've just doubled up on the thin battery neg to gearbox cable as it was getting hot (cant do any harm and the other cable wasnt doing anything.

I think if I just let the battery charge completely its going to fire up OK.  The other injectors are standing by just in case.

Al

6Back to top Go down   K100 wont start. Empty Re: K100 wont start. Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:51 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
It lives!

7Back to top Go down   K100 wont start. Empty Re: K100 wont start. Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:22 am

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Good, Did you use the standby injectors or did it just fire up itself

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

8Back to top Go down   K100 wont start. Empty Re: K100 wont start. Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:30 am

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
One cylinder started to 'pop' while turning it over.  It finally started on two, then cleared the rest when I held the throttle with some revs.  Starts every time I hit the button now.

Rego is transferred, I'll have tyres on Friday, but no brakes till I rebuild the calipers.  I'll still check and adjust the valve clearances Friday. Warm it up and do an initial throttle body synch as well.  

Very good chance it will be rideable for the scrapheap.

Al

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum