BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Ride to Mount Baker Empty Ride to Mount Baker Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:26 am

nvboy

nvboy
Silver member
Silver member
Did a terrific ride today up to Mount Baker in north central Washington State.  The Google Maps screen shot tells you alot about the road.  When we got towards the top of about 5100 feet the smoke from all the forest fires in the area converged and it was like riding through a thick fog.  That made you choke.  I was hoping to take some great scenic shots with the bike in it but had to settle for a pic of me on a hairpin and of the parking lot.  Try to spot my RS in the smoke.  You are supposed to see the peak of Mt. Baker.

Ride to Mount Baker Route_11

Ride to Mount Baker Darrin11

Ride to Mount Baker Smoke_11

2Back to top Go down   Ride to Mount Baker Empty Re: Ride to Mount Baker Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:54 pm

brickrider

brickrider
Life time member
Life time member
My buddy and I have been planning a ride all summer.  It was to be north along the US Pacific Northwest coast, possibly into BC.  To be honest, I'm losing faith in that plan.  The wildfires have been horrendous this season.  What with the closed roads, danger to life and limb, fire fighting resources perhaps taking the available lodging, it may be time to start thinking seriously of another destination. 
I'd like comments and observations from those in the area with first hand knowledge of conditions.  There are some amazing maps of the fires on-line, but you can learn only so much by looking at a computer monitor.  What's happening on the ground? 
We had planned to meet in central Oregon at the end of this week.  That's still a few days out, but this summer has been so hot, so dry for so long it's tough for me to imagine a beneficial change in weather conditions anytime soon.
BTW, I can't imagine the ride up Mt. Baker, as described, as being "terrific".  It sounds downright awful to me.  We're getting plenty of smoke here at home....
TIA

3Back to top Go down   Ride to Mount Baker Empty Re: Ride to Mount Baker Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:04 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I haven't ridden up there for about 10 years. Is the road still crap or has it been repaved?

The last time I rode up there I took my skis with me.

Ride to Mount Baker Kski

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

4Back to top Go down   Ride to Mount Baker Empty Re: Ride to Mount Baker Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:49 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
The road surface was quite good, aside from the remnants of spread sand, in June of '14 when we rode up there as the snow melted near the top.

Down here round Tacoma the sunsets are a brilliant red, the air during the daytime full of rare smoke haze due to the easterly winds pushing the layer back over the Cascades. I cannot imagine it improving over the next week as little rain is forecast, but at least the temps are due to drop a few degrees.

BTW, Australia and New Zealand are landing about 70 experienced bush firies into the US & Canada in the next coupla days to assist in the effort.

In Washington state they've called up the guard as they're running out of personnel. Our Fedups driver, who's in the reserves, is off to fight fires for an unknown duration.

5Back to top Go down   Ride to Mount Baker Empty Mt. Baker Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:59 am

nvboy

nvboy
Silver member
Silver member
You rode up to go skiing?  You're a braver man than I am, Duck.

The roads were clear and the pavement, for the most part, was smooth.  The smoke was present but I wasn't going to let it ruin my day.

From Idaho, a biker-approved route to the north west would be through Winthrop BUT it's evacuated right now because of imminent fires.  I don't know about the Leavenworth route.  In July we had a big bank of smoke sit over the majority of the lower mainland and Island in BC but for the most part it's gone.  Still lots of fires with different wind directions so just watch the news.  Most of the firefighters I know stay in tent camp staging areas and, unless there are areas under evacuation, there shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary summer rush for hotel space.  Probably best to wait till September or October if you can manage that.

Darrin

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum