BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty K75RT tank grummets Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:07 pm

jkh

jkh
Me and my K75RT 93 Are om the Ferry on the way home after a fantastic wrenching and driving weekend with a friend and his R1100R. We did almost everything that is beyond normal maintenance. All splines lubed, brakefluid and coolant changed. All electrical connections greased with dielectric grease etc. She runs like never beforw and my sticking clutch is gone thanks to tranny input spline lube with guard dog moly. Gar shifting is like cutting hot butter.
Ny only problem was getting the tank off and on. Its like I couldn't get the rear tank pegs down far enough to get the clips out and in. Here on the Ferry it occurs to me that maybe the rubber grommets on the rear tank pegs should be mountet on the frame eyes rater the all the way up on the tank rear pegs. Can someone in here supply a picture of how the grommets and clips is mountet in the eyes on the frame?

2Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:28 pm

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Which ever way they should be fitted, a smear of red rubber grease works wonders. John

3Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:11 pm

DeRodster

DeRodster
Life time member
Life time member
I don't know if they are the same as the K1100, but I have had difficulty with one of mine.
the right hand side sit's in easy every time, but the left just wont.
I've tried greasing it but it just gets pushed thru the bottom.
So now I leave it on the peg, make sure it's well greased and that seems to work fine.
Then the clips just go  on easy

Hope that helps

1974 Triumph 3TA / 5TA
1974 Honda 100
1969 Honda 50

4Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:30 pm

jkh

jkh
The reason i asked this question is that I needed to have my friend to put all of his weight (+90 kg) on the tank to get the  rear pegs of the tank far enough down  so it was possible slide in the clips from the rear. I wonder what less weighty wrenchers do?

My guess is that i either have the wrong grommets or they are not seatet corretly. I am a bit reluctant to take the clips of again since i cannot put them on just a single person. So could someone please post a picture or a drawing of how the grommets and clips look like on their brick?

5Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:11 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I have quite a few tanks knocking about and a couple of them are the same, though not as bad as yours.
I wonder if they are a little twisted-perhaps when they were made?

6Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:20 am

jkh

jkh
Its more like if the pegs are to short or the grommets are to thick. The pegs line up fine with the corresponding eyes in the frame. It's just that the tank need to be pressed down with +80 kg to compress the grommets enough to be able to put on the clips.

Maybe PO have used some other rubber he had laying around as grommets and they are of the wrong shape or thickness. I have looked at realoem.com partsdrawing but the parts are drawn to small to be able to see how the grommets look like and there are no dimensions on the grommet.

Thats why a picture or a drawing could help me.

7Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:32 am

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
No problem getting the clips on my K75, but there is no way I can get them on my K100.  In a season of riding I have discerned no negative effect from not having the clips installed and if anything it makes moving the tank to access things like the coolant filler much less stressful. 

I am so confident that they are not needed that I have not reinstalled the clips on the K75 after my last undertank foray.  With the seat down, I can't see how the tank can move more than a couple millimeters anyway.

As to why the clips won't go in, all it takes is a brief glance at the mass of wiring, insulation, air dams, etc. under the tank on my bikes to give me a good clue as to the source of the problem.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

8Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:11 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Never had grommets or clips on mine. Hasn't been a problem. Have always had to jiggle the tank around to get it off the rear mounts so I can't see it coming off too easily with the seat on. A severe accident may be a different story tho.

Try cutting the grommets down a little and/or ream out the centre to make the posts fit easier.
K75RT tank grummets TAA55167

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 K75RT tank grummets Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

9Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:43 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
To make life a bit easier, soak the grommet in hot water for a minute or two, then smear Vaseline (or similar) over it and push it on.

The photo above shows it upside down as to how it is installed. Round edge down, squared edge up.

I hope this helps.

Oh, by the way, as previously mentioned, the clips can be a pain in the butt to attach.
I have the grommets but no clips.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

10Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:42 am

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
K75RT tank grummets <a href=K75RT tank grummets Gromme10

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 K75RT tank grummets Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

11Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:03 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Onya Kaptain!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

12Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:06 am

Howard64180

Howard64180
From your description, I think you're on the right track in your first post.  Take the grommets off the tank posts and push them into the frame holes, with the wider part at the top.

13Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:35 am

jkh

jkh
Howard64180 wrote:From your description, I think you're on the right track in your first post.  Take the grommets off the tank posts and push them into the frame holes, with the wider part at the top.
I think that the grommets is mountet the wrong way - like upside down. When i took them of they stayed attached on the pegs. I suppose they shuold stay seated in the eyes on the frame.

I will try to take the clips out this afternoon when i come home from work because i have to cover he CO adjuster hole in the upper airbox with tape. I hope I will be able to reattach the clips after this.

Thanks for all the replies
/Jens

14Back to top Go down   K75RT tank grummets Empty Re: K75RT tank grummets Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:50 am

jkh

jkh
I had the tank of this afternoon. They where not upside down but they were like melted to the tank pegs. I loosened them and put them into the frame eyes, lubed the grommets where the pegs go through and then everything vent together easy.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum