BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Howard64180

Howard64180
My less than 15,000 mile when I bought it K100/2 turns out to have hidden damage.  After a couple of thousand miles I decided to do another oil change.  After all, it had stood for over 20 years all together.  This time, I just happened to have a good look up inside the sump.

Hmmmm, the sump wall looks a bit damaged, someone must have had a job getting the oil filter off.  Looking closer, I could further see that there were two pieces broken off the edge of the oil filter seat and part of the seat is actually indented, again mostly towards the outside.  There are also various chips and knocks on the seat's surface.  The bike's been running fine, oil light stays off, so sealing must have been taking place.

Off with the sump plate to clean things up a bit, in case there were bits of alloy floating around.  Oh look, someone has levered this with a screwdriver (yet it wasn't leaking oil).  Where the outside of the filter seat is chipped, the little outside lip was also bent inwards, so I've cleaned this up a bit.

I may not be the world's best mechanic, but whoever has been at this should never touch a spanner (or a hammer and chisel) again.  Let's hope it continues to seal.  I don't have the space, or the inclination, to undertake the work involved in fitting a replacement lower sump.

Oh, if I were to sell the bike in the future, you should all forget this post  Smile  (Honest guv, it were fine when I sold it!)

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like someone tried to hammer the oil filter out using a screwdriver instead of buying the removal tool.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I've taken note just in case you do put the bike up for sale. Laughing

It looks like you and your bike have had a lucky escape-enjoy the bike anyway.

Curley

Curley
Silver member
Silver member
Noted!!!  Twisted Evil

Just because it's low mileage doesn't mean some ham-fisted gorilla hasn't been at it Ir-log11Just because it's low mileage doesn't mean some ham-fisted gorilla hasn't been at it Ir-log11Just because it's low mileage doesn't mean some ham-fisted gorilla hasn't been at it Ir-log11Just because it's low mileage doesn't mean some ham-fisted gorilla hasn't been at it Ir-log11Just because it's low mileage doesn't mean some ham-fisted gorilla hasn't been at it Ir-log11

cheers  White K100RS 1991  cheers Red K1100LT SE 1995 cheers Green K75RT 1995 cheers Black K75s 1987  cheers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum