BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Gauge removal... for dummy Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:16 pm

gringoloco

gringoloco
My gauges stopped working, so I installed a digital speedo with the sensor, which is cable tied onto the side of my handlebars. Now I want to remove everything and connect whatever I can to the digital one (it's a Koso DB-01R).

The problem is that my electronics abilities are limited to testing for power to the wires and soldering them sloppily together. That's it, although I'm willing to learn.

Since I'm making a cafe racer I want the absolute minimum legally required by Austrian authorities. So, I don't need hazard lights, heated grips, temp gauge, RPM indicator..... what else could I eliminate? Fuel gauge would be nice though, but how hard is that to wire into the Koso if I was to remove the big one?

And for the things I do need to pass inspection (high beam, turn signal, neutral... anything else?) what's the easiest way of wiring them?

I read that the alternator doesn't work if I remove the original gauges, is this true? What's the simplest way around that?

I know, it's all over my head, but I don't mind failure.... it's the only way I'll learn anything.

2Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:17 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Read "Messing with the in-tank fuel sender" to see what you can do to get the fuel sender working.  Hopefully the DB01 is programmable.

Make an exciter circuit from a couple of 56 ohm, 2W resistors to replace the charge indicator light that disappears with the OEM gauge removal.  Connect it to a source of switched 12V and the other end to the blue wire on the alternator.

Read my blog to see how I handled the wiring on my K75.  URL is in my signature.

3Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:45 pm

gringoloco

gringoloco
Thanks, but as I said, I'm completely inexperienced with electronics, so that fuel thing will be impossible for me.

Would be great to have a step by step for making this exciter circuit, showing where I can find the right cables and where they go. It would probably also help other noobs like me who want to replace the OEM gauges (they all fail eventually from what I have seen).

4Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:18 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
This diagram shows the schematic.

Gauge removal... for dummy CCI26102015

I'll explain.  The switched +12V is picked up off the Green/Black wire from Pin 6 of the cluster.  The two resistors (R1 & R2) are serially connected to that wire.  The Blue wire from Pin 9 of the cluster is connected to the other end of the resistors.  No additional cables are needed.

The part about the gas gauge is mechanical, not electrical.  I describe how to flip the board in the sender to make it work with Far East gauges like the Koso.

If you're going to tackle a major rebuild like a cafe, you're going to have to jump in with both feet and learn electronics.  The K-bike is full of them.  How else were you planning on debugging problems without such knowledge, especially when you have to modify wiring.  There's no recipe for where you're going with this build unfortunately.

5Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:27 pm

gringoloco

gringoloco
Thank you! This is much more understandable to me.

Of course I'm willing to learn about this, and nothing gives me more joy than having a problem to solve, and slowly working at it bit by bit.... isn't that what life is all about?

This is my second K100, so I know the bike quite well inside and out, it's just some of the more technical electrical things that I need guidance of wizards like you.

More questions to come.

6Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:19 pm

SniperX

SniperX
Silver member
Silver member
Can you walk me thru how to get the instruments off my k100rt? It's an 85. Once off I am familiar with the boards and such but never removed a set.

7Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:07 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Procedure is documented in Section 62 of the BMW Service Manual. Available online in the download section and also at Motobrick

8Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:52 pm

SniperX

SniperX
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks!

9Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:42 pm

gringoloco

gringoloco
What is a good way of testing to make sure it works after I've done this?

10Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:08 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Test as you would for any working alternator. Using a voltmeter, look for 13.5V - 14V across the battery terminals with the engine running above 2500RPM.

11Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:49 am

gringoloco

gringoloco
I found this on another thread. Is this the easiest way of getting the neutral light to work? Where's the best place to put all these relays, will they fit in the relay box under the tank?

Gauge removal... for dummy Screen10

Also can I route the cables 15/high beam and 17/19/turn indicators directly to the lights on the speedo unit, or is there anything special I have to do?

The project has begun, I took off all the plastic and radio the other day, but since the bike is in a friend's garage kind of far away from my place I have lots of time to premeditate my next moves.

12Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:36 pm

gringoloco

gringoloco
Actually could I just connect the alternator cable to the oil temp light on the new gauge? Wouldn't that do the same thing?

13Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:16 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
gringoloco wrote:I found this on another thread. Is this the easiest way of getting the neutral light to work? Where's the best place to put all these relays, will they fit in the relay box under the tank?
1) cheapest solution?  Definitely.

2) The relays don't have to have large contacts to carry high currents, so you're free to choose physically small 12V DC relays with 1A contacts, for example.  These can get pretty small, meaning if you have electronics skills, you can build a printed circuit card that fits in the relay box.  I've built this circuit for another guy on the forum using four small encapsulated relays.  I glued the relays together using epoxy and soldered the wires directly to the terminals, providing pigtails to connect to the bike harness.

gringoloco wrote:Also can I route the cables 15/high beam and 17/19/turn indicators directly to the lights on the speedo unit, or is there anything special I have to do?
Yes, you can. Nothing special except ...

CAVEAT!!!!  Different aftermarket gauges have different indicator light arrangements so you have to make sure the gauge you select has ACTIVE HIGH indicators.  This means you provide 12V at the gauge to turn the indicator on, ground to turn it off (because this is what signals the K100 electronics will supply).  If the gauge you select has ACTIVE LOW indicators (ground to turn on, open circuit to turn off), you'll have to come up with a way to invert the signals on the bike.  (UPDATE: The Koso DB-01R has ACTIVE HIGH indicators)

For information about how I wired up my Motogadgets Classic speedo, refer to http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/2013/09/k75-re-wiring.html.

Last edited by robmack on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

14Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:22 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
gringoloco wrote:Actually could I just connect the alternator cable to the oil temp light on the new gauge? Wouldn't that do the same thing?
Ah, to what purpose are you putting the oil temp indicator on the gauge? There is no oil temp sensor on the K100; there is an oil pressure sensor. The oil pressure sensor has two states -- either open circuit or grounded. There's no 12V supply of electricity coming from that sensor (if you are referring to it; I'm making an assumption here which could be wrong).

You can connect the alternator exciter circuit to any source of switched 12V on the bike. With the proper resistors in place, it will only draw 250mA of current.

15Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:56 am

gringoloco

gringoloco
Ok great, thank you so much, very useful info!

I'll see what kind of relays I can find and where I can fit them and report back.

I was referring to the oil light on the Koso gauge but since I probably don't have enough information, I'll just connect it to the power with the resistors you mentioned before.

16Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:26 am

gringoloco

gringoloco
When I connected the high beam light, it only worked when I turned the switch downwards (flash to pass), when I click the highbeam on normally, the light doesn't come on. Any idea what that could be?

17Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:18 am

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
If you have the right hand European switch cluster with the off-parking-on switch, your problem may be inside that assembly. You may have a poor connection in the that switch and need to service it.  If that isn't the problem, the left hand switch cluster is also possibly dirty and needs servicing.

Instructions for servicing are here:  http://technik.flyingbrick.de/images/f/f9/61_lenker_rechts.pdf  (in German)

Good discussion as to the reasons why your problem has appeared:  https://www.k100-forum.com/t7683-headlights-not-working-but-pass-light-ok.   Consider installing an Eastern Beaver relay kit to increase the life of your light switch.

18Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:54 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
If you have low beam, the problem is in the LHS switch assy (which usually is the problem source, when this problem occurs)

19Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:59 am

gringoloco

gringoloco
My light stopped working half a year ago, so I changed the left switch with a brand new one. Not likely it would go bad in the first 10,000km (I rode a lot this summer).

The headlight isn't actually connected right now though, it was just on the first check to see if the gauge light works that I noticed this.

20Back to top Go down   Gauge removal... for dummy Empty Re: Gauge removal... for dummy Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:34 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
What's the size of bulb you are using? 60/55?

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum