BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

TöbendenStièr

TöbendenStièr
Hi all,
I took my bike out the other day in the rain, had a coffee and an egg or two and went to ride home and bike wouldn't start. Kept trying til the battery died.

Now battery is fully charged and engine has the tiniest of turns then nothing. Any advice??

I'm in five dock Sydney if anyone is close to help out.

Cheers
Mark

Ed

Ed
Life time member
Life time member
Mark , have you tried cleaning the ignition switchgear , and hitting it with de-oxit. Moisture in there can play havoc.
Also check the starter brushes for wear, they may be showing signs and losing contact . 
the Krew will be along shortly to see how you are progressing . Cheers and good luck with it.

interested in knowing more about your Kafe mods , anything to share ?

1993 K1100RS  0194321         Colour #690 Silk Blue  aka " Smurfette"
2018 Kart upgrade.
Full battery, full instrument display but engine doesn't turn over!! 10_x_110

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Hard to offer any advice without knowing what you are riding.

Your avatar looks like an early K100 that has been cafe chopped.  What has been done to the electrical system to make the conversion?  How much of the wiring is still stock? 

Assuming the starter did turn the motor over  for a while, the first questions are: Was the fuel pump running?  Did you have spark?  Loss of either will prevent the engine from starting. 

We need more information.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
TöbendenStièr wrote:Hi all,
i took my bike out the other day in the rain, had a coffee and an egg or two and went to ride home and bike wouldn't start.  kept trying til the battery died   Not a good idea to do that. You can damage both the starter relay and battery. The starter relay contacts will arc badly and burn and/or weld closed when the battery voltage drops. 

now battery is fully charged and engine ahs the tiniest of turns then nothing.  any advise?? Due to above, the battery may have been fully depleted and now won't hold a charge.

I'm in five dock sydney if anyone is close to help out

cheers
Mark
As point seven five says, check for fuel pump and spark. More likely the pump is not working. Turn ignition on and press the starter button very briefly. You should hear it run for a few seconds. 

You could remove the return fuel hose (front one), stick the end in a bottle and see if you are getting any fuel back to the tank when you press the starter button. If not....
The pump may not be working - check tank connector. It may need cleaning. Fuse #6 could be blown
The FICU plug may be loose. Take it off/put it back on could give a better connection. Give it a clean.

There's a troubleshooting guide on the troubleshooting link off the portal tab. Looks like your intake is modified so it could be some other issue also.

Aside from that, sounds like your battery is suffering. You may have charged it but running it down like that can permanently damage the plates. A few Qs...
What sort of battery do you have and the rating?
What's the static voltage across the terminals 60mins after a charge?
What'sthe load voltage across the terminals when you press the starter button for 5 to 10 seconds?

Five Dock? I was in Glebe over Xmas. Will be back down there in a few weeks. Hopefully you'll have it sorted by then

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Full battery, full instrument display but engine doesn't turn over!! Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:… . Fuse #6 could be blown

… . You may have charged it but running it down like that can permanently damage the plates. A few Qs...
What sort of battery do you have and the rating?
What's the static voltage across the terminals after a charge?
What'sthe load voltage across the terminals when you press the starter button for 5 to 10 seconds?

Hello!

1. Check the Fuses, that mean take them all out and check or better replace them with new good correct Fuses

2. The Batterie can be loaded but still crappy.
Checked the Batterie 30min after it has been loaded, it should have between 12-12.8 V if less it is done

3. Measure the batterie when everything is of note the result.

4. Turne the starter key (do not start) put all lights on.
Count till ten (10 seconds)
The batterie doesn't fall less then 0,5 V = the batterie is OK
The batterie does fall 3-4 V = the batterie is dead

You will need a Multimeter and put it on 20 v (on the picture it s on 200 V)
Or a Voltmeter as on the picture 2

Quick check
On the other side, just take the batterie out and bring it to a car service, they will know how to test

You could try to start from a car batterie, this will show if it's the batterie!

If it still doesn't start, see the other threads here

Is the kill switch of? :-)
Is the side stand in? :-)

Cheers and have luck

Full battery, full instrument display but engine doesn't turn over!! Digital-multimeter-06-7033215847273550463

Full battery, full instrument display but engine doesn't turn over!! S-l1000

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Espresso wrote:
Hello!

1. Check the Fuses, that mean take them all out and check or better replace them with new good correct Fuses

Checked the Batterie 30min after it has been loaded, it should have between 12-12.8 V if less it is done
Static voltage should be no less than 12.6 volts but ideal is around 13v
12v is just the nominal value. Batteries have 6 cells with 1.2v each=12.6 minimum EDIT: Should read 2.1v each=12.6 (just got the digits around the wrong way) 

If you use the lights to get a voltage under load you will need to leave them on for around 5 to 10 mins
Around 10v is the lower limit under load. It should recover reasonably quickly if battery is ok

Last edited by Kaptain Holister on Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed a bad typo)

Full battery, full instrument display but engine doesn't turn over!! Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Kaptain Holister wrote:
Espresso wrote:
Hello!

Static voltage should be no less than 12.6 volts but ideal is around 13v
12v is just the nominal value. Batteries have 6 cells with 1.2v each=12.6 minimum
I never had a batterie with 13v after loading and waiting a day before measuring. My has 12.2v not the best but runs the last 4 Years perfect. I think that's more theoretical.

If you use the lights to get a voltage under load you will need to leave them on for around 5 to 10 mins
5-10 seconds is enough (not more) since the engine isn't/shouldn't be running (ignition is on but the starter button is NOT pressed) for this test, we just want to check if all cells are OK
Around 10v is the lower limit under load. It should recover reasonably quickly if battery is ok
Since the test is without starting the engine, there isn't any recover

The test is only to check if the batterie would be able to start the bike, IF EVERYTHING ELSE IS OK.
Just to make sure the batterie isn't the issue, as in 80% of most starting issues.

Just my 2 cents, I hope that's OK :-) I suppose, since you will have more bike expiriance, I'm willing to learn, but this is my test the last years.

Cheers

Be made

Be made
Life time member
Life time member
I have to assume a push start, in third usually, has been tried. If that doesn't work go on your hunt. If it does, get yourself home and then investigate

Hope this helps
Cheers

9Back to top Go down   Full battery, full instrument display but engine doesn't turn over!! Empty Sorry for late reply Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:34 pm

TöbendenStièr

TöbendenStièr
I'm away from my computer (smart phone access only at present) so just a quick thanks so far for the responses.
And I should have give. More bike info
6/85 k100.i bought it as of a chap in pennant hills. I e had it 2 weeks
I will try some of the hints as posted when back at my garage.

10Back to top Go down   Full battery, full instrument display but engine doesn't turn over!! Empty Fixed Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:18 am

TöbendenStièr

TöbendenStièr
thanks everyone.  I did all the battery drills, fuses etc but in the end, it was Kaptain Hollister and Point-Seven-Five that were on the money.

Wiring/loose connections from a converted electrical system that I had to navigate

Thanks everyone for the input and if ever in the inner west, please let me know

cheers
Mark

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Glad to hear you have it sorted.  Electrical problems in modified bikes are pretty common, probably because most of the guys doing the mods are more mechanically inclined vs. electrical.  There is also a certain sense of "good enough" when working with wiring which is often hidden from view, especially when it follows a lengthy physical installation process.

I work on boats, and see this all the time with electronics and other electrical system installations that customers have done.  Workarounds that try to avoid using the proper wiring devices or workmanship standards almost always lead to problems. 

When troubleshooting, the first thing I go after is anything wrapped in black electrical tape.  The sloppier the wrapping the more likely that is where the problem is.  It's amazing what that stuff hides.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Cheers

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

1990k75

1990k75
Silver member
Silver member
Deoxit is your friend - or should be Laughing 

There are so many electrical connections on the K's that are potential problems - take them all apart, clean & use dielectric grease before re-connecting & have a happy Klife  Smile

Current - 1990 K75RT (in drydock) & 1995 K75RT VIN # WB1056503S0372669
            - 2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650
            - 2011 Yamaha XT250

Who sez I'm too old to ride?

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
TöbendenStièr wrote:.......
Thanks everyone for the input and if ever in the inner west, please let me know

cheers
Mark
Good that you got it sorted without too much trouble.
I'll be in Glebe sometime next week for a few days. Wouldn't mind checking out your machine.

Espresso... With respect, if your battery is constantly reading 12.2v then its faulty and no longer able to hold a charge OR you have a faulty multimeter. 
My battery reads a constant 12.8 to 12.9v at rest.

Chocolate

Chocolate
Life time member
Life time member
Glad to hear the bike is running again!

# Kaptain Holister, you are right, 12.2 v isn't much, at least the bike always starts :-) but this year I get a new one.
My other K 75 shows 12.8 V, so the multimeter is fine.
I buy my batteries from the solar industries, cheap and good.

Cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum