BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Brakes stiffen in the rain?  Empty Brakes stiffen in the rain? Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:39 pm

Koa

Koa
I was wondering if it was just the nature of the beast that my front brakes feel especially stiff in the rain. 
Being a Californian I don't often have the pleasure of riding in the rain. My 85 k100rt is my only means of transportation so I ride no matter what the weather. I don't remember the brakes (especially the front) getting this stiff when wet in the past though. There is substantially less lever travel before engaging, resistance then if I continue to squeeze there seems to be another area where the brake engages. 
Is this just a matter of the pads swelling?

2Back to top Go down   Brakes stiffen in the rain?  Empty Re: Brakes stiffen in the rain? Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:32 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
That's the layer of water between the pads and the disc causing the apparent initial bite. Initially I thought that it sounds like a dry-weather-only pad and I was going to say 'try replacing them with sintered pads', but if it's a relatively recent and gradual occurrence, I'd check that the brake pads don't have a build up of rust/shite in the caliper that's preventing them from moving freely.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

3Back to top Go down   Brakes stiffen in the rain?  Empty Re: Brakes stiffen in the rain? Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
If it were my bike I'd change the pads straight away. I fitted Goldfren S33 pads into one of my K's and they were a good dry weather pad. However in the wet they were frightening and stopping the bike needed lots of forward planning-a bit like stopping or steering a large ship!

Good luck.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum