BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump retaining clips Empty Fuel Pump retaining clips Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Hello world
I am getting close to firing up my 1985 k100 RT, and have a problem that you may have seen before.

The Fuel pump has a plastic ring around it which has 2 retaining clips moulded on the sides. Of course one has broken off. No problem I'll just remove the one from my 1986 "parts"bike. Guess what, on removing it, snap goes one clip.

Has anyone come up with a solution to retain the pump, or will I risk it with just one clip. (Fencing wire, rivets, anything I can think of seems so un German.)

Thanks and am really enjoying the forum. Winter's coming and I have been riding a friends Kawasaki 800 cruiser, it's a dog to ride so am really keen to sit up straight.
RT

2Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump retaining clips Empty Re: Fuel Pump retaining clips Sat May 08, 2010 2:15 am

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Seems to have been a hard question, or have I been disconbobulated without knowing it.

3Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump retaining clips Empty Re: Fuel Pump retaining clips Sat May 08, 2010 3:16 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Did a Google on disconbobulated and that did not help much either Very Happy

As to the fuel clip problem it is possible no else has had the problem YET and thus due to the age of these bikes something for all of us to look forward to.
In my case it appears I am the only one to suffer a broken handlebar mount.

So it may be that we will await your engineering prowess. Fencing wire does sound very Australian but how it will go immersed in fuel is another thing.

There are a few posts around involving replacing fuel pumps with aftermarket items but all I have read seems to indicate they back in the original mount o perhaps purchasing a new mount might be the only option.

http://www.bikebandit.com/1985-bmw-motorcycle-k100rt-2valve-fuel-pump-fuel-filter/o/m46sch334652

Looks like it is only about $4 but freight will be about $60 and they are pretty fast so maybe you might want to purchase a couple of other items just to even things out of course Wink

4Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump retaining clips Empty Re: Fuel Pump retaining clips Sat May 08, 2010 11:46 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Tks Phil
my names Bob, I have rello's in the Apple Isle maybe one day
I'll get down that way on the bike if my bum holds out that far.
Seems to me that these things get brittle the longer they are left dry, both mine have been empty for at least 3 years. Can't wait to see what else is stuffed. Had ice on the road yesterday, almost time
to break out the xtra undies.
Cheers

5Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump retaining clips Empty Re: Fuel Pump retaining clips Sun May 09, 2010 12:22 am

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
not being picky or nuthin, but just in case youre wondering
its
Discombobulated
Feeling disconnected or unbalanced.
more info
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=discombobulated

Right!
Glad i cleared that up now I'll get back to my mutchkin
and tracklements Fuel Pump retaining clips Icon_lol

6Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump retaining clips Empty Re: Fuel Pump retaining clips Sun May 09, 2010 4:27 am

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Bob and Robertson looks like a nice part of the country and another place I have missed along the way but then it is a big country. Sounds like a bit cooler than Tassie at the moment as we are frantically clutching onto Autumn for as long as we can.

As for the dry tanks that may not be a bad thing in some respects as the stories told of bikes with partially full tanks are not pleasant.

As for mutchkin and tracklements, sounds like a close fitting Scottish cap full of relish?? Ah Google where would we be without thee. Very Happy

7Back to top Go down   Fuel Pump retaining clips Empty Fuel pum retaing clips Sun May 09, 2010 11:38 pm

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks reg-K100RS, spelling and grammar used to be important (aka John Cleese and "Romans Go Home").
I've been to Bristol, nice place, think my great grandfather caught a boat there for Oz in 1854. Something about a stolen hanky.
Now I've got to get all the pieces back into the fuel tank and working.
Cheers all
RT

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum