BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   A question of paint. Empty A question of paint. Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:37 pm

Life time member
Life time member
After breaking my fairing, I have finally sourced a suitable replacement and need to find a painter to do a good job for me. 

The question is what type of paint is the original. I have had a poor result with water based on the LT despite using barrier stuff before the new paint.

Is the original paint a cellulose or some other concoction? You can get the right paint for restoration purposes here still and I would like to get as close to original as possible for this Job.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

2Back to top Go down   A question of paint. Empty Re: A question of paint. Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
88 wrote:After breaking my fairing, I have finally sourced a suitable replacement and need to find a painter to do a good job for me. 

The question is what type of paint is the original. I have had a poor result with water based on the LT despite using barrier stuff before the new paint.

Is the original paint a cellulose or some other concoction? You can get the right paint for restoration purposes here still and I would like to get as close to original as possible for this Job.
The paint you'll need is solvent based as was the genuine BMW paint.
Water based paint is a bit of a green lobby thing-most of the car factories still use solvent base coats and even when a water based colour is used, it's solvent based lacquer to finish. Otherwise it would wash off in the rain.

What happened when you used WB paint, at what stage did it go wrong? I ask because WB is fairly inert and harmless (crap) stuff that wouldn't affect anything on it's own.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum