BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
Just tried it, we only had about 2 tablespoons of baking soda in the kitchen, but this was enough to clean most of a caliper, I was amazed watching the 25 years of brake debris just disappearing in front of my eyes.

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Great to hear that it worked.

Any chance of a couple of before and after shots?

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

robinm

robinm
Silver member
Silver member
Found another use for this tool, awesum for defrosting the fridge!!, blowing hot water instead of baking soda, got all the ice out of the drain tube ( normally needs to sit all day to clear these) in about 60 seconds!!

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Just re opening this thread as a lot of new people may not have seen it.
Today I used a version of this, with a pathetically small compressor, to try and clean the gunk out from inside the left hand valve cover.
Useful cleaning/restoring idea - environmentally friendly too! Img_1110
As you can see, it's worked a treat. I was using a thinner tube and only had a small amount of soda available, (curse the cook), but am happy to see the result. I had tried all sorts of de greasers and kero without much luck. Tomorrow I'll build one to the specs in this story and see what happens. I.m having to wash my mouth out with some beer now though, ah well, not a bad downside.
Useful cleaning/restoring idea - environmentally friendly too! Img_1111

The outside was done with steel wool and swearing. Note the repair at the top of picture, another thing you find out after purchasing.

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice result bob

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
Tks Charlie
any idea what those 2 hex key screws are there for, they don't appear on my 85 RT.

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
The screws appear on the early K100 motors.  They allow you to drain any oil from the cam covers to avoid the mess when removing the cover for valve clearance checking.  I've had one cover like that, should be in Ricks possession now.

Al

Last edited by AL-58 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Useful cleaning/restoring idea - environmentally friendly too! K-dogs10

smithy

smithy
Life time member
Life time member
It certainly does a good job, Im curios to know how long it took to blast that with the small hose and low pressure. Though I suppose time means nothing if your getting a result that rewards like that in the end.

Smithy

98 K1100lt: Vin 8044

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
I've seen these before and have thought about trying it.  I've only a fairly small compressor, enough for my staple gun basically(doesn't require big cfm).  Worth a try still though, not going to waste much money on this.

If it will get the crazed paint off of my sidecar mudguard that would be good.  It's the main thing stopping me from painting the outfit.  Soda is meant to be good on soft surfaces like gelcoat.

Al

Last edited by AL-58 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more babble)

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Useful cleaning/restoring idea - environmentally friendly too! K-dogs10

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
My results were achieved in about 1/2 hr but I had the wife holding the tube in a jar of soda and my tube was a bit too narrow. I reckon if I can get a regular flow it'll work a treat. My compressor works at 90 psi but only has a small tank so short bursts. Yet to try on old flaky paint in the outside grooves.
RT

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
not sure about the screws bob ...i think i have seen them before on earlier models ?

someone else ?

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

RT

RT
Life time member
Life time member
mmm supposedly a 90 model, they are not on my 85er. Not game to undo them in case I can't get the crush washers that size. 
I forgot to mention to everyone, DO THIS OUTSIDE. Man I have it everywhere, I wonder if it makes hair grow back.(not on my back).
RT

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
...gigglesnort ...lets hope !

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
RT wrote:mmm supposedly a 90 model, they are not on my 85er. Not game to undo them in case I can't get the crush washers that size. 

These oil drain plugs was used on the very early models.

07 11 9 963 073      GASKET RING      - A10X13,5-AL

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
I've soda basted a few carbs before. its hardly worth faffing with an old airgun though - the last purpose made sandblasting gun I bought was less than £15.

its also worth building a bit of a case to catch the soda so you can re-use a portion of it - starts to get expensive on soda else!

But yes you do need a decent compressor. mine's a 150l with about as big a motor you can run on 13A plug but its still a bit tired to keep up with constant blasting.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum