BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty RS Style restoration Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:56 am

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
I started this project 12 months ago with the intention of posting my progress as it happened but one thing lead to another and you know how it goes, it's now finished, so time to recap my adventure of my first restoration and share the pics along the way. 
Many thanks to all that have helped with advice as it was needed. The bike came to me in kind following the death of its owner to the dreaded big C. He had owned it for 24 years having bought it in Scotland while living there before shipping it home to New Zealand. It was in excellent mechanical condition with new clutch, viton output seal, all the splines lubed and a sweet runner. Aesthetically it was pretty good by any standard, but I'm a fussy OTT OCD kind of bloke that likes things looking brand new, or better if I can achieve it. 
A short in the brake light circuit lead me on a hunt and a member here pin pointed the cause immediately - pinched harness at the top rear shock mount. While pulling the back apart in the hunt I discovered plenty of typical rust on the rear seat frame and I couldn't have that at all. There was only one way to fix it properly - off with the fame and send it to be stripped and powder coated, and so my first restoration project began.

RS Style restoration Img_1821

Before

RS Style restoration Img_1822

And just back from the powder coater 

With the frame and associated bits and bobs off to be stripped and powder coated I could get into the rest of the bike.
I used hammerite paint, smooth silver and gloss black. Every screw, washer, nut and bolt was replaced with stainless unless it was hidden far from view.
Brake lines were probably ok but too old now and not really to be trusted so HEL brake lines in Australia (UK company) have an awesome site where you build your own on line and submit. You can choose color finish, banjo angles etc, etc, and very reasonably priced. I will definitely use them again. The original owner (I’m the third) had bodgeed up some aftermarket braided front lines and had married them to the front calipers that defied logic and I am amazed they never failed in the 25 years they were there. 

RS Style restoration Img_1911

The mixture of metric and BSF that held the brake lines to the callipers!

He drilled the front guard on both sides to allow the brake lines to exit the caliper straight out rather than using a banjo and directing them up the fork leg and through the designed space in the front guard. This was all attended to and the front guard repaired, six layers of paint and all the skin on my fingertips was removed and new paint applied.
Master cylinders were stripped, cleaned and checked before reassembly. A coat of paint freshened up the rear MC while the front one got a thorough clean. All three calipers received new seal kits.  

RS Style restoration Img_1826

Calipers were split and cleaned with new seal kits

Wheels in the “Style” design are black with polished highlights however running old school tyres with black rims looks awful so I set about to strip the paint off and polish the rim before masking and repainting the wheels. 

RS Style restoration Img_1825
RS Style restoration Img_1824

Rear wheel was very untidy

RS Style restoration Img_2110

RS Style restoration Img_2111
Front wheel polished

RS Style restoration Img_2011

Discs and callipers all finished

RS Style restoration Img_2113

Wheel bearings were cleaned, checked and repacked, and new fork seals went in.
Top and bottom yolk were polished and new steering head bearings fitted up. 

RS Style restoration Img_2012

Top and bottom yolk got the polishing treatment

On the frame, one side of the steering stop was missing its factory lug and was replaced with a short cutoff dome screw that was just sitting there. Guess it worked but if it happened to fall out mid corner…
Front forks house Race Teck springs so the forks were stripped, cleaned, checked and reassembled, with the legs getting a coat of smooth silver. 

RS Style restoration Img_2013

This is a departure from oem, and to be fair, I had no idea it was a “Style” model until I removed the shitty old aftermarket seat cover to discover the oem grey cover underneath. I asked his partner for some old photos and sure enough there was the Style logo on the fairing.
Instrument cluster was stripped, cleaned and the support base painted. All displays worked mechanically perfectly with no speedo issues and all gear positions showing their correct numbers.
The fuel pump was removed for inspection along with the mounting platform that’s known to disintegrate. A new filter was installed along with new in tank hoses.
Fuel rail lines were replaced and the air box to crankcase return hose was perished so that was replaced. Throttle bodies were removed and cleaned, manifold O-rings were replaced along with new breather caps that were on their last legs. 

RS Style restoration Img_1827
RS Style restoration Img_2016

Finally some fresh plugs, oil and filter, and a new Motobatt battery was 
added. These batteries are bright yellow, so the battery was wrapped in black adhesive vinyl to suit all the black in the area and make it disappear.  
Radiator was removed, cleaned and painted as was the stone guard. All the radiator hoses were cleaned and thoroughly inspected before being set aside for reassembly. Thermostat was removed and inspected.
Starter motor was removed, stripped and cleaned with the armature getting the usual extra attention. Brushes were still fine so they went back in. End cap received the polishing treatment

RS Style restoration Img_1912
RS Style restoration Img_1913

Alternator was removed and as I pulled it out the monkey nuts fell out in a bunch of disintegrated bits so a new set went in. The alternator/rectifier were checked, cleaned and polished before being reinstalled
Every loom/harness connector was separated, cleaned with contact cleaner and checked.
Swing arm and final drive received the smooth silver treatment to break up the black. Rear shock is an Ohlins unit fitted by the previous owner.

RS Style restoration Img_2017

The exhaust needed some work as the shield was missing and the shield attachment lugs were in a terrible state having been re welded in place as they had started to fall apart. The offending areas were cut out and new stainless welded in before the whole system was given a hell of a polish.

The engine covers had suffered over the years with the odd spill or three and had also been badly repainted, so all the old paint came off, highlights were polished before being masked off and the covers painted.

RS Style restoration Img_1828

RS Style restoration Img_1832
All the covers off for internal inspection, shim check and new rails

RS Style restoration Img_1837

RS Style restoration Img_1833
RS Style restoration Img_1835
RS Style restoration Img_1834
All the engine covers showing their 29 years

RS Style restoration Img_1836
RS Style restoration Img_2117
RS Style restoration Img_2116

RS Style restoration Img_2115

RS Style restoration Img_2114
RS Style restoration Img_2018

New Pirelli sport demons were fitted and the seat cover replaced in as close as I could find, factory grey.
The painted bodywork, with the exception of the font guard was left alone. Any stone chips were touched up and then everything was given a deep clean and polish.
Final drive and swing arm were cleaned up and painted
RS Style restoration Img_1839
RS Style restoration Img_1838

RS Style restoration Img_2019

RS Style restoration Img_2020
RS Style restoration Img_1840

Everything was polished and/or painted...
RS Style restoration Img_1843
RS Style restoration Img_1841

RS Style restoration Img_1844

RS Style restoration Img_1842

RS Style restoration Img_2021

RS Style restoration Img_2022

RS Style restoration Img_2024

RS Style restoration Img_2023
RS Style restoration Img_2025

Internally, the valves clearances were checked and all found to be in spec. New cam chain slide rail and tensioner lining we fitted although there was not a lot of wear.
There was a pesky wee oil leek when I bought it coming from the hall sensor cover and this was traced to the crank seal that had been damaged during a previous install, so a new Teflon seal went in along with a new gasket.
Last to be finished is the RS Style decals that are work in progress and I will post when they have been fitted. I am quietly looking for a belly pan too, as I really like the look.
Total spend on the restoration including tyres (NZD 475.00) was NZD 2150.00 give or take a wee bit. Hours spent was never written down as it doesn’t matter, but it was plenty, believe me. Any time spent in the man shed is time better utilized than sitting in front of the stupid telly. So for a little over two grand all up, I have a pristine rare K100RS Style that will stay in the garage for a long time.

Now, what’s next? Got my eye on a ’91 K1…

2Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:41 am

JR_K100RS

JR_K100RS
Life time member
Life time member
G'day KiwiK100 , fantastic work ! , reminds me of the late great MikeP standard , really looking forward to seeing the whole machine in detail

Well done

John Re

3Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:54 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
wow  attention to detail ....well done !

have fun on that beast

its a pity it has to go on the road I guess ...giggle

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:08 am

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
JR_K100RS wrote:G'day KiwiK100 , fantastic work ! , reminds me of the late great MikeP standard , really looking forward to seeing the whole machine in detail

Well done

John Re
Yeah, I did follow his thread on the yellow K100 he restored and learnt a lot from how he did things. He was an inspiration to many of us who want to take restoration to the next level
Richard

5Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:11 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
RS Style restoration 112350

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

6Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:24 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Outstanding job!

10 out of 10!

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

7Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:55 am

JGT

JGT
Platinum member
Platinum member
Excellent. I envy you your single minded determination and staying power. I just buy them and ride them! The Norton goes this week, start looking for another K.

8Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:13 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Makes my rebuild of Brick2 look positively -er- negative? Very Happy

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

9Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:45 pm

Life time member
Life time member
stunning job - I love the finish you got on the wheels, Did you have them Diamond cut?

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." - St. Augustine from 1600 years ago & still true!

K1 - 1989 - AKA Titan (unique K1/K1100RS hybrid by Andreas Esterhammer)
K1100RS - 1995. AKA Rudolf Von Schmurf (in a million bits)
K100RS - 1991 AKA Ronnie. Cafe racer project bike
K75RTP - 1994
K75C - 1991 AKA Jim Beam. In boxes. 
K1100LT 1992 - AKA Big Red (gone)
K100LT - 1988 - AKA the Bullion brick. Should never have sold it.

10Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:43 am

Gaz

Gaz
Life time member
Life time member
Fabulous work! As per JR comments, my thoughts went back to Mike P as I read through your post.

I'm sure he would have admired your work and it shows all of us what is possible. Certainly looking forward to seeing photos of the final product.

Cheers.

11Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:59 am

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
The starter and alternator look wicked! How did you polish them?

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

12Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:07 am

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
Guys, thanks for all the wicked comments. The wheels were not diamond cut. What is that? I started with 240 wet and dry and worked up to 2000. Yup, it took a long time! Then it was several polishing mops with different compounds and then autosol. Blue diamond is the finishing cream/polish of choice and gives an awesome lustre. Remaining bits like the starter and alternator, the steering yokes, and brake pedals etc were hit with the wire brush on the drill, then polished with the mops etc. The entire restoration took three months over last winter working most weekends and plenty of evenings. A good speed adjustable polisher is instrumental in a good finish. 
I did all of the work myself except the stainless welded into the muffler. 
Happy to expand on restoration details if anyone is interested.
I will post some pics of the whole bike when the sun decides to shine

13Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:42 pm

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
KiwiK100 wrote:Happy to expand on restoration details if anyone is interested.
I will post some pics of the whole bike when the sun decides to shine
A definite "yes" to "interested".  I'm sure I'm not alone.   Very Happy

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

14Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:15 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Not until I've got me some new sunglasses Cool

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

15Back to top Go down   RS Style restoration Empty Re: RS Style restoration Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:52 am

Curley

Curley
Silver member
Silver member
DAMN!!!!!!! Awesome work! Its a new bike!  RS Style restoration 25650

cheers  White K100RS 1991  cheers Red K1100LT SE 1995 cheers Green K75RT 1995 cheers Black K75s 1987  cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum