BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Alternator not working  Empty Alternator not working Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:53 am

mackie95

mackie95
Hi there,
I've just finished fitting an acewell speedo as per instructions. All was well all lights coming on, revs the lot!! The hazard light is now the charge light and it was flickering at low revs and going out as you revved up👍
This morning the light stayed on and the battery is not being charged, also the bike revs higher than it was?? Coincidence or have I done something to affect this?
Any help appreciated

2Back to top Go down   Alternator not working  Empty Re: Alternator not working Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:04 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
If you want to see if the alternator is working then put a voltmeter across the battery and then start the bike, if the volts go up then the alternator is working.
Trying to say if it is working through lights or revs is like guessing if it is.

3Back to top Go down   Alternator not working  Empty Re: Alternator not working Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:28 am

mackie95

mackie95
The voltage across the battery does not go up, so it is not getting charged. I'm just wondering is there anything I might have done to cause this or is it just coincidence that the alternator has packed up the day after I was wiring in a new gauge?

4Back to top Go down   Alternator not working  Empty Re: Alternator not working Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:32 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Is the charge light that is on the new display a normal bulb or an LED? Quite often an LED does not draw enough current to excite the alternator and it will need an incandescent bulb to do that.

5Back to top Go down   Alternator not working  Empty Re: Alternator not working Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:46 am

mackie95

mackie95
The bulb is a led. Will this cause the alternator to not work? And is there any way around it
Thanks

6Back to top Go down   Alternator not working  Empty Re: Alternator not working Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:44 am

mackie95

mackie95
Thanks to bobT👍👍 you were spot on about the led
Cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum