BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Help! my bike will not start! Empty Help! my bike will not start! Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:48 pm

ryanbennethum

1991 K100lt. 23,000mi. Mine for about a month.

Filled bike with gas, and it doesn't start back up.
The starter does not turn.

The headlights are out regardless of ignition switch position.

Battery has a good charge and verified connections.

No fuses blown.

Starter relay works. Verified with ohmmeter across the contact.

Starter reads 40ohms to ground on the terminal of the starter.

Wondering about the load shed relay? How does it stay picked up when starter is turning?

Kill switch kills the dash lights, and prohibits starter relay from pulling in.

Any ideas on the next best thing to try would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also- Using the clymer manual, I misdiagnosed the ignition switch as bad. Unfortunately I lost one of the small springs in the process of cleaning it. I currently use a pair of jumpers to simulate the on position of the switch according to the print on this site. New switch coming soon.

Last edited by ryanbennethum on Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info.)

2Back to top Go down   Help! my bike will not start! Empty Re: Help! my bike will not start! Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:58 am

Ajays

Ajays
Life time member
Life time member
Ryan,
Starter motor condition will cause unrelated electrical problems and lead you in the wrong direction.
Before getting too far involved pull your starter motor and get rid of the brush dust also inspect the brushes. Motobins do a brush replacement kit.
Well that is what I would do first.
Ajays.

AJAYS

3Back to top Go down   Help! my bike will not start! Empty Re: Help! my bike will not start! Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:41 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
ryanbennethum wrote:Wondering about the load shed relay? How does it stay picked up when starter is turning?

Check the electrical diagrams here click on the starter tab and on the top of the diagram you will see a button "Starter/load shed relay principle". Click it and you will get an explanation.
When you energize the starter, the coil of the load shed relay gets a positive on both sides and it's like not having power (You need a positive and a negative to get power). When the starter is not energized, it provides one of the majors ground point for the electrical.
When the starter is turning, the load shed relay IS NOT POWERED.

4Back to top Go down   Help! my bike will not start! Empty Re: Help! my bike will not start! Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:58 am

ryanbennethum

Thanks guys. I just had a eureka moment on that load shed relay. I was thinking it was normally de-energized. So it is energized as long as the bike is in on position. The starter running cuts it out. It appears the starter is the culprit. A gentle tap on the housing of it and voila, it started! Yeah! Thank you so much! Now I'm going to pull that starter off and check the brushes and com.

5Back to top Go down   Help! my bike will not start! Empty Re: Help! my bike will not start! Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:27 pm

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Good to read you are mobile again!
Regards,
K-BIKE

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum