BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Brake Pad Renewal Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:29 am

1990k75

1990k75
Silver member
Silver member
Hello all

Just finished my first ever rear disk brake pad change...  Very Happy 

Clymer never mentioned about the shock/spring being in the way. Got around that by setting preload to minimum & using a pry bar in the spring to allow the forward retaining pin to come out/go back in. I can hear you all laughing Laughing 

Ok let's get to the question - I did clean up the pins with a wire brush before reinstalling them, but should they have some sort of lube? I understand there are special products for this, although many seem to think dielectric grease will do.

I await the Kollective Knowledge...

And Merry Christmas to all  santa

Current - 1990 K75RT (in drydock) & 1995 K75RT VIN # WB1056503S0372669
            - 2011 Suzuki V-Strom 650
            - 2011 Yamaha XT250

Who sez I'm too old to ride?

2Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:30 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
I am laughing! It takes a few minutes to remove the rear caliper to change the brake pads.
I use a very thin smear of Moly grease on the back of the pads and on the pins when I reassemble.

3Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:44 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
I never put anything on the pins. They're supposed to be a snap-fit and I'd rather not have any form of lubricant interfering with that. As for the pins hitting the shock - yes, it does happen. I have a RamShok on mine and I use a very large screwdriver to lift the spring coils slightly. I should mention that I have stainless pins all round, so the need to prevent corrosion (Bob?) isn't a problem.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

4Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:23 pm

1990k75

1990k75
Silver member
Silver member
OK, it's 1 for & 1 against - that clears it up for me LOL  Laughing 

BobT, is that grease compatible with the seals? Big discussions about that on car forums...

Dai, aren't everybodys pins stainless? 

Keep those opinions flowing in folks...  santa

- 2011 Yamaha XT250

5Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:44 am

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
I have never used grease or a protective coating on the pins. I would expect that any coating would be subject to the heat build up radiating from the brakes during excessive breaking.  

Could this lead to melting of the coating or not? I don't know but as the pins are directly over the brakes pads then I would not be taking the risk. I expect that Brembo would have answered this question a long time ago. 

As brakes are just a little bit significant in keeping you alive, I'll keep the pins dry.

As far as I know stainless pins are an aftermarket option.

Also when working on the brakes, I support the rear end and swing the shokie out of the way.

6Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:25 am

1990k75

1990k75
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks TacKler it's 2 to 1 now LOL  Laughing 

I had the same thought - melting lube dropping into the works - I only brought it up 'cuz it seems a big deal on the car forums (yes, we have a car too - the K does not like to plow through the 3-4 feet of snow we get here)  affraid 

Now about the stainless thing - I have a hard time imagining normal steel  pins not rustwelding (new highly technical term I just invented) themselves in place after a few years, mine only needed a few good hits to come out. There was some ah, 'grunge' on them but I got rid of that with a wire brush. We don't live by the ocean but it is often very humid here... as in don't leave your trailer hitch plugged into the receiver for too long - DAMHIK   Embarassed 

It would be interesting to know what Brembo thinks...

Removing the 'shockie' would have been an idea - as would removing the caliper as previously suggested - but I'm a bit lazy & all those ideas meant more nuts/bolts to remove & more chances to f*&k something up. Besides it was a challenge to get my size 12 hands with arthritic fingers in there Laughing 

Think I'll leave 'em dry

Hope you have a Merry Christmas  santa 

Lorne & Joanie

- 2011 Yamaha XT250

7Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:03 am

Snod Blatter

Snod Blatter
Life time member
Life time member
Just to be different and annoy everyone I put a decent smear of copper grease over the pins in the hope that its anti-seize properties stop the pins welding into the caliper. It also helps the pads slide along the pins for a little while until the rain washes it all off.

I'm not too keen on the idea of stainless pins, stainless corrodes even more happily into aluminium than normal mild steel and if it's properly stainless it is brittle as well. I too have only ever seen them as an aftermarket item, OE pins are always some kind of specially treated mild steel.

8Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:47 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
It's not a problem Jack. The snap-ring prevents some stainless to caliper contact; secondly, the caliper is anodised to help prevent corrosion and lastly, vibration helps to reduce corrosion build-up at the pin end. I've never had any problems with stainless pins but on more than one occasion I've had to take the BFH to OEM pins.

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

9Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:00 am

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
I'm with Blatter on this one. Copper slip is your friend. 
Make sure you use a small brush to apply, opinion on the oil rigs that I worked on that it can contain chemicals with carcinogenic potential. Use sparingly, it's anti-seize and not a lubricant.

Last edited by Motorbike Mike on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Felt like it!)

10Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:09 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I use stainless pins with Permatex Neverseize and wipe off what is showing. There would be absolutely minimal chance of any ever getting to the pads or disc. The Kawasaki pins have always been done that way and when working with Honda it was workshop standard practice to use anti-seize on the bare steel pins. I have never had or heard of a problem.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

11Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:38 am

BobT

BobT
Life time member
Life time member
Does not really matter what you do to metals, as soon as you put 2 different ones together you will get dissimilar metal corrosion from the electrolytic effect of rain (slightly acidic) and the two metals. Happens more if there is a slight gap between the two, that is why we use jointing compound on aircraft structures.

12Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:54 pm

1990k75

1990k75
Silver member
Silver member
Hmm, this could go either way...

Now I'm wondering if the PO put stainless pins in, think I'll pull one out & see what a magnet does...

Curiouser & curiouser, said Alice

- 2011 Yamaha XT250

13Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:13 pm

Motorbike Mike

Motorbike Mike
Life time member
Life time member
There is an anti seize compound based on aluminium. Mercedes Benz use it in their car work shops.

14Back to top Go down   Brake Pad Renewal Empty Re: Brake Pad Renewal Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:16 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
I use stainless pins, previously coated with copper based grease, but latterly with aluminium anti-seize paste.

My copper based compound is good to 1100°C, the aluminium based anti-seize to 780°C (so it says on the tins), so the chance of melted grease getting onto the pads is infinitesimal.

Been working for me since my first disc braked bike in 1972.

Paul.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum