BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Recommend me a torque wrench. Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:48 pm

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
...particularly for use with hex heads.

My current wrench only goes up to 24Nm making my front wheel axle (33Nm) a bit of a guestimate.

    

2Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Norbar. I've had one for over thirty years and it's still accurate +/- 1lb. Not having the silly money to pay for a lab reference test, I bought another Norbar secondhand-almost-new off ebay for next to nothing (sorry MM - you must be fed up with hearing about my ebay bargains by now Very Happy ). I torqued up a nut to various pressures with the original and cross-checked with the second one. In all cases, stepping though at 5ft/lb intervals to 40 ft/lbs, the second (newer) one clicked within 1 ft/lb of the reference (original) torque wrench. Thirty years of accuracy is good enough for me to recommend them.


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

3Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:39 pm

robmack

robmack
Life time member
Life time member
Without a doubt and with no hesitation, I'd recommend the Eastwood 3/8" Drive Digital Electronic Torque Wrench (13630). This has a large usable range (10-135Nm), high accuracy, memories for common settings, and audible and visual feedback. This is my main wrench. It handles all fasteners on the K-bike except for those requiring the greatest torques, such as the clutch nut. For those, I use an old 1/2" drive click-type.


__________________________________________________
Robert
1987 K75 @k75retro.blogspot.ca
http://k75retro.blogspot.ca/
    

4Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:35 am

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks very much Dai & Robert.

    

5Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:51 pm

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:Norbar. I've had one for over thirty years and it's still accurate +/- 1lb. Not having the silly money to pay for a lab reference test, I bought another Norbar secondhand-almost-new off ebay for next to nothing (sorry MM - you must be fed up with hearing about my ebay bargains by now Very Happy ). I torqued up a nut to various pressures with the original and cross-checked with the second one. In all cases, stepping though at 5ft/lb intervals to 40 ft/lbs, the second (newer) one clicked within 1 ft/lb of the reference (original) torque wrench. Thirty years of accuracy is good enough for me to recommend them.

Well, not wanting to rush into things ( Rolling Eyes), a cool four and a bit years later, my Norbar TTi50 was waiting for me when I got home. The quality of workmanship is wonderful I  must say. Only 100% better than the cheapo sh1te I been making do with all these years. Cheers for the direction Dai  Recommend me a torque wrench. 112350

I haven't actually tried it out yet. In fact I might not take it into the garage at all. I think Ill just keep it in the front room and look at it  Recommend me a torque wrench. 652573

Good price off ebay  too  Recommend me a torque wrench. 112350



Last edited by Bonzo on Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : speling mistale)


__________________________________________________
1990 K100RS 4V (VIN# 6406682)
2017 R1200RS SE Sport
    

6Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:53 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
Norbar #2


__________________________________________________
Sometimes I'm not really Suzi Quatro.
    

7Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:21 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
@Bonzo wrote:
@Dai wrote:Norbar. I've had one for over thirty years and it's still accurate +/- 1lb. Not having the silly money to pay for a lab reference test, I bought another Norbar secondhand-almost-new off ebay for next to nothing (sorry MM - you must be fed up with hearing about my ebay bargains by now Very Happy ). I torqued up a nut to various pressures with the original and cross-checked with the second one. In all cases, stepping though at 5ft/lb intervals to 40 ft/lbs, the second (newer) one clicked within 1 ft/lb of the reference (original) torque wrench. Thirty years of accuracy is good enough for me to recommend them.

Well, not wanting to rush into things ( Rolling Eyes), a cool four and a bit years later, my Norbar TTi50 was waiting for me when I got home. The quality of workmanship is wonderful I  must say. Only 100% better than the cheapo sh1te I been making do with all these years. Cheers for the direction Dai  Recommend me a torque wrench. 112350

I haven't actually tried it out yet. In fact I might not take it into the garage at all. I think Ill just keep it in the front room and look at it  Recommend me a torque wrench. 652573

Good price off ebay  too  Recommend me a torque wrench. 112350
Recommend me a torque wrench. 44271 Recommend me a torque wrench. 44271


__________________________________________________
cheezy grin whilst riding, kinda bloke ....oh the joy !!!! ...... ( brick aviator )

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%ORecommend me a torque wrench. Au-log10

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
    

8Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:01 am

tinyspuds

tinyspuds
Life time member
Life time member
Buyer beware - Norbar model numbers. Thought it might be worth flagging that the Norbar TTi designation covers a number of configurations esp as to ft/lb or Nm or Both:

Recommend me a torque wrench. Cce1d210


__________________________________________________
1985 BMW K100RT + Hedingham HUB and LL’s. VIN 0028106. (Not blind to the irony of an April 1 production date).
1986 K100RS in boxes. VIN 0141918.
1954 Royal Enfield 350 Bullet. Original.
    

9Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Both of mine have both scales.


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

10Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:23 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
Dunno if Snap On brand is a regular on the continent or in Brexitland, but I bought a secondhand, freshly re-calibrated click type from a travelling dealer whilst gainfully employed at a BMW/VW/Subie/FIAT shop back in 1982, had it calibrated a dozen years later, then again a coupla years back. Except for a spring trying to make an escape from the ratcheting portion of the show, it has been a good'un. 13Nm to 136Nm (about 10 ft/lbs to 100 ft/lbs) is the range it lives and works in. For the closer details I use a finely tuned wrist, which has been attached to my arm for three score and one year, and a 1/4" ratchet. It would be interesting, to me at least, how far off I am in my guestimatage.


__________________________________________________

1970 R60/5, OZ '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, OZ '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT & 2013 R1200RT-Polizei  - Beemers owned still or sold.

1977. It was a very good year. Somewhere.
    

11Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:33 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Snap On... nope, don't want to take out another mortgage.

But funny story anyway. I needed a 13mm ratchet spanner to get into one of those damned awkward hidden-away-round-a-corner nuts on LFB. I'm not one for cheap tools - buy once and forget it - so I was looking at Teng, Bahco, Snap On, etc. when I stumbled across a set of five ratchet spanners for £17.90 (I think it was) 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm and 17mm. Ah buggerit; I'll break the rules for once and buy them. When that damn nut is out it will be replaced with an allen bolt, so the problem will go away and as long as the spanner does a couple more jobs, the money's well spent.

When the spanners eventually arrived I was surprised at the quality look and feel of them. I hung them up on the pinboard and forgot about them till I came to do the job. The 13mm fitted really well and the nut came off dead easy. Then I took a closer look; etched on one side was 'Blue Spot'. No bloody wonder they felt and looked good!

For them as don't know, 'Blue Spot' is 'Snap On' but just not made in the USofA. Quality, materials and design is exactly the same.

£130 of spanners for £17.90... Very Happy


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

12Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:40 am

Bonzo

Bonzo
Life time member
Life time member
@Dai wrote:Snap On... nope, don't want to take out another mortgage.

But funny story anyway. I needed a 13mm ratchet spanner to get into one of those damned awkward hidden-away-round-a-corner nuts on LFB. I'm not one for cheap tools - buy once and forget it - so I was looking at Teng, Bahco, Snap On, etc. when I stumbled across a set of five ratchet spanners for £17.90 (I think it was) 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 13mm and 17mm. Ah buggerit; I'll break the rules for once and buy them. When that damn nut is out it will be replaced with an allen bolt, so the problem will go away and as long as the spanner does a couple more jobs, the money's well spent.

When the spanners eventually arrived I was surprised at the quality look and feel of them. I hung them up on the pinboard and forgot about them till I came to do the job. The 13mm fitted really well and the nut came off dead easy. Then I took a closer look; etched on one side was 'Blue Spot'. No bloody wonder they felt and looked good!

For them as don't know, 'Blue Spot' is 'Snap On' but just not made in the USofA. Quality, materials and design is exactly the same.

£130 of spanners for £17.90... Very Happy

I didn't know that about Blue Spot. To compliment my Norbar I also purchased some adaptors/reducers and bought a set of THESE  for £8.89  bounce


__________________________________________________
1990 K100RS 4V (VIN# 6406682)
2017 R1200RS SE Sport
    

13Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:56 pm

Time To Ride

Time To Ride
active member
active member
My mechanic son-inlaw brought his Mac Tools digital torque wrench home this winter to torque Smile head bolts  after installing a new head gasket on the Bobcat so I compared.  My 15 year old Craftsman was out 20% on the high side! I have been doing some damage all right but haven't lost a rear wheel yet.  Surprised


__________________________________________________
1994 BMW K75S  ABS
USA Bike   43,000 mi
    

14Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:35 pm

Shoei

Shoei
active member
active member
Bit late for a reply by the sounds of things, but I have recently treated myself to a Sealey digital jobbie.
Main reason for replacing my old on is that my peepers are not what they used to be and reading the scale on my existing torque wrenches is getting a bit tricky.
The other reason was that it also has an angle gauge on it, so rather than pissing about with an analogue gauge, I can torqu a nut, then turn it through an additional angle pretty much in one go.
I absolutely love it.
https://www.toolstop.co.uk/sealey-stw306-angle-torque-wrench-digital-1-2-inch-square-drive-20-200nm-p58287/

    

15Back to top Go down   Recommend me a torque wrench. Empty Re: Recommend me a torque wrench. Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:38 pm

gabriel

avatar
Platinum member
Platinum member
My torque wrench is a Warren and Brown deflecting beam....no springs to go out of calibration!

Recommend me a torque wrench. F893c110


__________________________________________________
;BMW; 1984 BMW k100..frame number 6228?
1992 BMW K75s
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum