BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:15 pm

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Icon_cool

Hi,

Well having aquired my first BMW a K100 LT I am going to give it the once over for my peace of mind.
The greasing of the splines is straight forward enough I have read every report on this forum and every one talks about HONDA moly 60, but this is no longer available here in the UK [according to David silvers and other Honda dealers] so what do you guys use that has a high concentrate of moly, I have found ROCOL ASP and LOCTITE 51048 has any one tried any of these.

BIG D.

2Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty Re: SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:56 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Loctite's Product Description shows the Moly content as 65% and Honda, as you know 60%. So it's got plenty of the right stuff.

I use Molybond GA 50 (50%) and so far no problems.

Some folk use a half and half mixture of the Honda paste and regular grease (high temperature/bearing?) and seem happy with it. I believe (correct me someone out there if I'm wrong) is has to do with the tackiness of the mixture; how well it sticks to the splines and won't get flung off.

Just like an oil thread, everyone has their own ideas. But the consensus is, the higher the Moly, the better (nothing less than 50% at least).

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

3Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty Re: SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:50 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
MotoBins sell Optimol paste for the splines. There is a potebntial issue with greases with a too high Mo content and that is why they started mixing the high moly content ones with other greaes. Have a web search ;-)

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

4Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:57 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member

Thanks guys will look into it I can see the idea of mixing to aquire the right substance.

BIG D

5Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty Re: SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 am

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Yeah, the only problem is how do you know it is the right mixture ;-)

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

6Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:12 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
ReneZ wrote:Yeah, the only problem is how do you know it is the right mixture ;-)

The optimol paste [white] according to the spec sheets online say's that it must NOT be mixed with other oils and greases but you are right it is readily available from Moto-Bins cheers

BIG D

7Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty Re: SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 am

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Something else I found...

"For those of you who've never heard of Paul Glaves, he's a well-known BMW tech guru who logged 300,000+ miles on a K75 before some old lady took the bike out. I found this post by him on the MOA forum so here's what I'll be using on future spline lubes.

Honda Moly 60 is OK, but 60% moly is drier than desirable and has less anti-corrosive characteristics than I personally like. I mix it 50-50 with Wurth 3000 sticky green grease and the results are outstanding."

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

8Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty Re: SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:29 am

BIG D

BIG D
Life time member
Life time member
blakey wrote:Something else I found...

"For those of you who've never heard of Paul Glaves, he's a well-known BMW tech guru who logged 300,000+ miles on a K75 before some old lady took the bike out. I found this post by him on the MOA forum so here's what I'll be using on future spline lubes.

Honda Moly 60 is OK, but 60% moly is drier than desirable and has less anti-corrosive characteristics than I personally like. I mix it 50-50 with Wurth 3000 sticky green grease and the results are outstanding."

Another good idea, I use other wurth products and have found them to be of a high quality.

BIG D

9Back to top Go down   SPLINE LUBE WHATS AVAILABLE Empty Spline Lube Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:48 am

Dennis

Dennis
Platinum member
Platinum member
Ok, here's my recipe - Loctite spray moly goes onto both the male and female splines after thoroughly cleaning to remove any previous fretting corrosion (the rusty looking stuff because the previous effort didn't work or the bike has been left too long between re-lubes). let it dry till it looks like grey primer.
The grease, 50 - 50 Molybond GA50 and Optimol Optipit grease, which has a base oil of 1500 Cst and also contains a tacky additive. To that I add about 10% by volume of Dixons powdered graphite. Mix thoroughly and coat both splines, the assemble. I re-do my splines annually and it's always still there. Warning - don't get it on your hands or you'll leave marks on the missus.
I think the Optimol paste being referred to may be one that contains some PTFE and can be used on stainless steels, that's why it would be not recommended to mix with other greases.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum