BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

timz10000

timz10000
Silver member
Silver member
My 1985 K100 runs great for about 20 minutes, then starts to cut out, and within a few minutes cuts out completely. I have to wait anywhere from an hour to overnight for it to start, then it starts nicely again.

Today it stopped about 6 or 7 hours ago, I just started it and it ran rough, some smell of gas (maybe just firing on 2 cylinders) then won't start at all.

Does this sound like the 
- Hall Sensor going bad
- Bad coil?
- Something else?

I've read I can test the Hall Sensor with a hair dryer - but are there 2 Hall sensors? I guess if I ascertain it is the Hall Sensor(s) then I can investigate further

Or could it be a coil has gone bad? If so is there a way to test for that?

(Or am I on the wrong track entirely?)

FWIW I just replaced the air intakes, cleaned and tuned the throttle bodies with a manometer and when it runs it runs well.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
It certainly sounds like the hall sensors and a good place to start looking. You can get the sensors quite cheaply but they need to be fitted to the plate which isn't a difficult job. If you go to the Forum page and use the google search I am sure that many posts about where to get them and fitting will come up.
I would not discount the possibility of it being a coil but the hall sensoes are the likely culprit.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

timz10000

timz10000
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks much! I'll go ahead and head down that path.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
timz10000 wrote:My 1985 K100 runs great for about 20 minutes, then starts to cut out, and within a few minutes cuts out completely. I have to wait anywhere from an hour to overnight for it to start, then it starts nicely again.

It's like you have copied and pasted the first paragraph of numerous threads about bad Hall Effect Sensors(HES). 

This is how they start to fail, and finally stop working altogether.   The hair dryer will make them cut out sooner, while a shot of freeze spray will get them working temporarily. 

Replacements are available.  There have been s couple sources posted here, and a search on Hall Effect Sensors should turn up threads where they have been posted. 

Replacement requires drilling out the rivets, riveting the new sensors, and some soldering.  Takes a couple hours, but not impossible.  Should be doable for about $50 or less.

An alternative would be to search eBay.  There should be a complete plate
assembly ready to install there.  Price should be $100 or less.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

timz10000

timz10000
Silver member
Silver member

Replacement requires drilling out the rivets, riveting the new sensors, and some soldering.  Takes a couple hours, but not impossible.  Should be doable for about $50 or less.

An alternative would be to search eBay.  There should be a complete plate
assembly ready to install there.  Price should be $100 or less.
Great, thanks. Looks like the plate assembly is more like $200 on eBay and Amazon right now but I'll watch it for a few days and see if anything cheaper pops up, or maybe just dive into the replacement routine.

Holister

Holister
Life time member
Life time member
Euromoto Electrics (EME) have both Bosch and Endurolast HES the later being the cheapest option if you are after a complete unit. I'm pretty sure the Bosch unit is plug'n'Play but the Endurolast has a different plug but they give you the makings to replace the socket upstream. Endurolast HES

If you want to fit them yourself then you need to read this especially the link to the fitting guide.

1989 K100RT     VIN  0097367 (naked)  
1996 K1100RS   VIN  0451808
 Cutting out when hot, sound like Hall Sensor, coils, or other? Austra12    Fuel:  95 Octane
Engine Oil: Nulon Full Synthetic 15W50
Gear Box Oil:  Nulon Synthetic 75W90

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum