BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Gear selection indicator replacement Empty Gear selection indicator replacement Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
I mentioned in another thread I had been fiddling about trying to get a new LED gear indicator to work. Tonight, it's all come together:

Gear selection indicator replacement Img_2011

Gear selection indicator replacement Img_2012
Gear selection indicator replacement Img_2010

It's not particularly complicated to do but is very fiddly. More than happy with the results though.

I took a bunch of photos so can put together a bit of a "how to" if anyone's interested. Component cost is tiny but takes a while.

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
I'd be interested to see more. I have one that reads fine and unambiguously, but has some black patches.

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
Well, I've just put it in a word document. Can I upload that here?

If not, you'll have to bear with until I have the strength to upload all the pics individually.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Great work I am sure that Bert would be able to put it into an appropriate form and put it in the downloads section for all to access.
Also I use Dropbox and give links out as requested.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good work ,
 I tried this and gave up .... a while ago now,,,, I think other things just got in the way
but still have the parts here ...erm somewhere   was going for the blue leds rather than red ...red hurts my poor old eyes at night time

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
On ya Johnser!

Yep, we need to get this saved here on the forum.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

TacKler

TacKler
Life time member
Life time member
Well done, Johnser.

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
Ok, I've finished writing up a quick .doc file. Let me know who/where to post it to.

A much abridged version:

Cut the track at point "11", circled in red.

Gear selection indicator replacement Back_o10

Then solder a bridge between the first and third (circled in green) pins on that side of the chip, as seen in a pic further down.

Cut out the back of the perspex holder so the new LED fits in all the way through to the board:

Gear selection indicator replacement Img_2013

Then using a bit of prototype board as a guide, drill out 10 holes for the LED legs in the centre of the perspex guide
Gear selection indicator replacement Img_2014

Also drill out the little pads that used to carry the signal to the LCD.
With all the holes drilled, it should look like this:
Gear selection indicator replacement Img_2020
I snapped a drill bit in one of the holes.

Then turn it over and with the bit of prototype board, connect the right LED legs up to suitable resistors in the right holes for the signal:
Gear selection indicator replacement Img_2021
Not particularly neat underneath but does fit in the stock location and works.

Regarding colour of LED, I was hoping to use a black/white one but finding anything in the right size other than red proved difficult. It's not so bright and you have some control over the brightness by which resistor you choose. In the end, I'm happy with red, it ties in nicely with the other red dash lights.

The cost of the components is small and I ended up ordering multiples of the bits I needed so if anyone has any dead boards they don't mind donating or selling, I might try to do a batch to use up the bits I have.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Bert aka Crazy Frog is the forum chief so contact him and ask what to do.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
nice stuff

'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
+2

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

KJustin

KJustin
Silver member
Silver member

Gear selection indicator replacement Img_2013

Great work!  Can you tell me where I might be able to purchase one of these (above?)

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
They are the LCD holder. Should be on the board already. If not, you'll probably have to get a replacement board.

It's not really needed if you're going to put and LED on though. I used it 'cause it was there and it helped with alignment

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
just to add a comment ''
there are many led displays ... to fit inside the lcd display area  you might be looking for a 10 mm high led  display  rather than ever so common 13.xx led height types which measure close to 15 mm at the edge of the display package height ...and carry  fnd 500 series as a description

the ones I found carry a type LAP-401DN and measure about 13.xx mm height package size  and should fit neatly inside the modified lcd lens - retainer when cut out

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
They are listed as 0.39"

Not so many to choose from as others but they do exist and fit the gap spot on

Last edited by Johnser on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

KJustin

KJustin
Silver member
Silver member
Thanks for the info.  I haven't opened my motometer, so didn't know this part was inside.  Maybe I'll open it up and take a look.  I've got a non-oem speedo and have Robmac's card that gives me an LED display of gear position.  Was looking for another way to mount it (I made something, but don't like it) and thought this part might help in fabricating something different.

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
The pdf link is faulty - just 307 bytes Sad

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Thanks so much for your work and info, Johnser, and CF for making it available.

Saved in my reference files.  Very Happy

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Wot Bill sez!!! Very Happy

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
yep +2  that looks great and explains the process  far better ..

great work guys

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
Update;
Been out for a ride conclusion is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The LED bleaches out in bright sunlight (yes, I found some!) As you might expect. This isn't a problem, the main aim was just to tidy it up, I don't need to be reminded of gear selection that much.

In shady bits it's a bit distracting, kind of looks like a warning light in your peripheral vision, being red and all.

On top of all that, the damn speedometer's on the blink. Couple that with the unresolved swimmy/waving rev counter and I'm just going to get a (hopefully good) used unit and make one out of two. Sigh

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
deoxit the 20 pin connectors to the instruments underneath ?

the speedo issue usually tracks back to the 2 pin connector near the coolant bottle under the right hand side cover ..as a pretty usual point to look before going further and blaming the instruments .  but we have seen the connectors inside the instrument corroded up and in need of some attention ...more an environment issue I guess .

take it apart and clean the pins and socket connectors ...sometimes a squeeze of the female spade is required to make a more positive connection  but file and or sand to get a good mating contact is always a good start on that side cover connector

good luck

Johnser

Johnser
Silver member
Silver member
charlie99 wrote:deoxit the 20 pin connectors to the instruments underneath ?

the speedo issue usually tracks back to the 2 pin connector near the coolant bottle under the right hand side cover ..as a pretty usual point to look before going further and blaming the instruments .  but we have seen the connectors inside the instrument corroded up and in need of some attention ...more an environment issue I guess .

take it apart and clean the pins and socket connectors ...sometimes a squeeze of the female spade is required to make a more positive connection  but file and or sand to get a good mating contact is always a good start on that side cover connector

good luck

Good point, I've scrubbed and re tensioned all the pins/holders inside the speedo, and the megaplug on the back of it.

So I'd be daft not to check the plug on the gearbox. Especially as this is the first time it's been out and I'm pretty sure I hurriedly waved a pressure washer around before abandoning it.

Thanks, fingers crossed

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum