BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Reducing the handlebar vibration Empty Reducing the handlebar vibration Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Bigsax

Bigsax
Gold member
Gold member
I have just returned from an interstate ride and decided to try and lessen the handlebar buzz.

I have tried end weights in the past and with little success, so i tried my own solution.

I am running RT bars on an RS. 

I called in at my local fishing tackle shop and purchased some lead fishing weights (snapper leads) that looked about the same diameter as my bars. Ripped the grips off and inserted lead weights. The fishing weights were long torpedo shapes and slightly bigger than the bars. No trouble, a little light work with a hammer saw them go in (more hammer work) tightly. I used one whole packet (3 weights) on each side. I just knocked them home right to the bend. I would guess half a kilo each side.

I think is has drastically reduced vibration! Also adds a new steering dimension to the old girl. She falls into the corners more easily, I like the feel. I ride pretty hard as my riding buddies have Ducati's and even though I am the old man of the group, I make sure we keep with the pack.

I have read that some people have used lead shot to fill the bars but this way was really quick and easy, half an hour of fun and it was done!

2Back to top Go down   Reducing the handlebar vibration Empty Re: Reducing the handlebar vibration Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 pm

K75cster

K75cster
Life time member
Life time member
Sounds like you're on a winner, more chuckability herculean style.
But where do you hide the pot now???.
Mind you I'd keep quiet around your fisho mates, you know.

The Clever are adept at extricating themselves from situations that the wise would have avoided from the outset - QUOTE from david Hillel in Out of the Earth.

3Back to top Go down   Reducing the handlebar vibration Empty Re: Reducing the handlebar vibration Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:15 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
good tip ...
cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

4Back to top Go down   Reducing the handlebar vibration Empty Handler bar buzz Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Ace Handler

Ace Handler
I owned a 1989 Kawasaki Concours with clip-ons and they came stock with tiny (2mm?) lead balls inside the handlebars AND handlebar end weights.  Changed out the grips and found the little buggers inside by surprise - man they are hard to recover from the grey concrete floor, magnet didn't work worth a dagnabbit...maybe I had the polarity wrong? lol!

5Back to top Go down   Reducing the handlebar vibration Empty Re: Reducing the handlebar vibration Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:15 pm

duck

duck
Life time member
Life time member
I have Manic Salamander 18 oz bar ends on my K100.  They weight almost three times as much as the OEM ones.

The other thing I do is keep the throttle bodies synched frequently.

86 K75C Turbo w/ paralever
94 K1100RS
93 K1100LT
91 K1
93 K75S (K11 front end)
91 K75S (K1 front end)
14 Yamaha WR250R
98 Taxi Cab K1200RS
14 K1600GT
http://www.ClassicKBikes.com

6Back to top Go down   Reducing the handlebar vibration Empty Re: Reducing the handlebar vibration Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Ace Handler wrote:I owned a 1989 Kawasaki Concours with clip-ons and they came stock with tiny (2mm?) lead balls inside the handlebars AND handlebar end weights.  Changed out the grips and found the little buggers inside by surprise - man they are hard to recover from the grey concrete floor, magnet didn't work worth a dagnabbit...maybe I had the polarity wrong? lol!
Use an East West magnet the North South ones are useless picking up lead.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

7Back to top Go down   Reducing the handlebar vibration Empty reducing handlebar vibrtaion Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:44 pm

audibob

audibob
Life time member
Life time member
I used to get annoying tingles from the handlbars and then somebody on this forum had found a way to overcome play at the clamps by placing a  washer with a slightly  smaller diameter  than  the rubber bush, between the standard washer and the bush and then tighten .
This would exert pressure on the rubber bushes   without metal to metal contact on the clamps .

As my bars were a bit on the soft side, I tried it and the bike felt different with virtually no tingles and firmer steering.

Just a thought

Also as duck says keep your throttle bodies in sync.

I have also noticed that if you get a buzz through the bars at your cruising speed, try closing throttle very very slightly.
 I did this on my first k100lt and she would go turbine smooth. My current k100lt does this too.
The previous owner of my first k was really pissed off when I told him. It was the only reason he sold it.

I get no vibration from the bars or the foot pegs.  Such a comfy bike for long distances..

Reading uk to switzerland in one day, 660 miles in total comfort.  

Bob

Triumph T 140V Bonneville
Triumph T150 Trident
Honda CB750 F1
Cz 175
Yamaha XS 750
R 100/7
R 80
K100 LT
K100 LT current bike

Ace Handler

Ace Handler
audibob wrote:I used to get annoying tingles from the handlbars and then somebody on this forum had found a way to overcome play at the clamps by placing a washer with
a slightly smaller diameter than the rubber bush, between the standard washer and the bush and then tighten.

This would exert pressure on the rubber bushes without metal to metal contact on the clamps.  [On my 1992 K100RS there's no metal to metal contact - but the upper flange that's being compressed by the supplied fender washer is very thin (1/8") resulting in nearly metal to metal.  The small washer suggested here by Bob focuses the contact onto the main core of rubber that's much thicker - doing the job that BMW likely intended]

As my bars were a bit on the soft side, I tried it and the bike felt different with virtually no tingles and firmer steering.

Just a thought...

Also as duck says keep your throttle bodies in sync.

I have also noticed that if you get a buzz through the bars at your cruising speed, try closing throttle very very slightly.  I did this on my first k100lt
and she would go turbine smooth. My current k100lt does this too.  The previous owner of my first k was really pissed off when I told him. It was the only reason he sold it.

I get no vibration from the bars or the foot pegs.  Such a comfy bike for long distances...

Reading uk to switzerland in one day, 660 miles in total comfort.  

Bob

I'm a fairly new-by to the Bricks, really love my R12C and still use it for multi-day 500km/day+ riding this summer.  But I really want to change over to the higher performance K that I bought, it's a freakin' Rocket Bike ya' know....but the handlebar vibration is really annoying - my right hand thumb and first two fingers sound asleep after about 30 minutes and then pain all night.

So a long and hearty search of this issue (well-documented EVERYWHERE) brought me to this seemingly simple solution.  Got it together this morning to remove my bar clamps and insert a smaller (about 1") washer underneath the stock fender washer on top and reinstalled.  Went for a 90 minute ride (occasionally into the Stratosphere ;-) ) and neither hand had ANY tingles!  Beauty and so easy and cheap too - thank you SIR!  Reducing the handlebar vibration 212902   Reducing the handlebar vibration 212902   Reducing the handlebar vibration 212902

9Back to top Go down   Reducing the handlebar vibration Empty Re: Reducing the handlebar vibration Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:34 pm

Ace Handler

Ace Handler
duck wrote:I have Manic Salamander 18 oz bar ends on my K100.  They weight almost three times as much as the OEM ones.

The other thing I do is keep the throttle bodies synched frequently.

I went looking for these (Manic Salamander) bar ends but was unsuccessful in my hunt.  But I did come across some Brushed Stainless bar ends made by HVMP (about 15 ozs.).  For my K100RS I had to buy lighter ones (? - they make and sell 18oz. bar ends) but even so, after installing these the handlebar buzz was reduced substantially, and they look nice and extend the width of the bars by a noticeable amount.  I bought directly from HVMP.com - about $90 CAD with shipping.  Product Code: F4UX110

cheers

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum