BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

nolo

nolo
I purchased a 1996 K1100RS with a Remus Innovation exhaust system installed.  The muffler has nothing inside, no baffles, no packing, nothing.  That makes the exhaust kinda loud.  Apparently Remus no longer makes this system or parts for it.  I have been able to locate complete used systems for $800 - $1000, but no mufflers only.  The bike runs fine in the current configuration and the noise doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother other people.  I live in California so the chances of being cited for noise are probably higher than most states.  And if that does happen, the State will probably force me to modify my exhaust.  My question is: is there an aftermarket slip on that I can replace the Remus muffler with?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
I am not sure how a Remus muffler is put together but I would be inclined to get someone to make a baffle that slides in from one end and can be removed. It would be the cheapest option.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

nolo

nolo
Thanks Rick.

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
Do you have an O2 sensor on your Remus muffler?  If not, it is possible to install a late model K100 exhaust system.  I did it with my 1992 K100RS, and have seen a couple photos of other 16v bikes with this exhaust installed. 

If your bike was like mine, the Remus was an attempt to correct a problem with header pipes cracking where they joined the collector.  My '92 RS service record showed that three systems were installed on my bike in the first three years of it's life and all of them had cracking problems, hence the Remus.

So far, in about 6,000 miles of use the K100 muffler has been quite satisfactory as far as noise level and performance.  The Remus it replaced was loud, especially at low speeds driving in town, and I seem to recall, there was a bit of a flat spot/hesitation in the power band around 2,000-2,500 rpm that went away when I installed the K100 system.

Installation wasn't too bad; it took an afternoon of fiddling around with the hanger and the clamps on the header pipes to finally get it where it needed to be.  I also had to make a couple of spacers to compensate for the offset in the 16 valve bike's footpeg plates to keep the muffler from sticking out too far from the center-line of the bike.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

Sponsored content