1Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:41 pm

tagaz

tagaz
Silver member
Silver member
'85 K110RT:
Small issue w left mirror vibration.
Still very much usable.
But would like it as stable as the right side mirror.

I have looked in the Clymer & BMW shop manuals.
As well as searches online.
The parts are listed in the fiche at Max's BMW & elsewhere.
And have only found reference to the mirrors "snapping on & off".

I can see that there has been silicone/caulk added. 
Very obvious between the mirror pod and the upper fairing.

I wish to perform repairs as needed to resolve this issue.
Without creating any other issue(s) in the process.

That said, I bow to the wisdom/experience of those who have traveled this path before me.
I am very comfortable working on Airhead/Boxer bikes. And even the "boxer" Porsche's & Subaru's.
But as this "flying brick"  is now my primary (only road ready/legal) ride, I want to proceed with the utmost caution.

I really hate it when I break something whilst attempting to fix something.

So, please reply with instructions or links to assist in the removal and diagnosis of the vibrating mirror.

BTW, Evidenced by the scratches on both sides of the bike it is obvious that the bike has been down on both sides.
Doesn't appear to have been too dramatic though.

As always, ITIA for any and all replies.

Troy

2Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:14 pm

Point-Seven-five

Point-Seven-five
Life time member
Life time member
First of all, the K100 vibrates more than the K75 which has a balancer on the output shaft.  The mirrors will always be a bit blurry.

Have you done a thorough tuneup?  Valve clearance, and throttle body balance can help a lot to get the engine running smoothly.  The mirror glass is removed by slamming the mirror body face down on a piece of carpet. 

Some have had a bit of improvement by attaching a wheel weight to the back of the glass.  I believe they are attached above or below the pivot.  I have also heard of people putting a bit of blue Loctite on the pivot ball.

Past:
1994 K75RT "Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS"
1988 K100RS SE "Special Ed"
1994 K75S "Cheetos"
1992 K100RS "Moby Brick" R.I.P.
1982 Honda FT500
1979 Honda XR185
1977 Honda XL125
1974 Honda XL125
1972 OSSA Pioneer 250
1968 Kawasaki 175

3Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:49 pm

tagaz

tagaz
Silver member
Silver member
.75 thx 4 d reply.

Yes, all service and maintenance is up to date. And i do mean All.

I do need new skins. Am about to swap the 90/90 V18 off my cafe bike ('91 R100RT Originally)
to the front of the K bike. Rears are totally diff, R = 18 K = 17, or I'd swap the rears too.
I will let y'all know if its "tweaky", "dives" or otherwise behaves badly.

.75 thanks again for taking the time to reply.
But what I need to know is how to remove the mirror pod.
As the mirror is firmly in the pod. It is the pod that is loose. I should have been more precise in my initial description of the issue. 
To enable me to diagnose the cause of the vibration, which is more of a wobble that a vibration, and repair,replace or fabricate whatever is necessary to get it to behave the same as the right side mirror.

Regards,

Troy

Last edited by tagaz on Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarify the issue as being the "pod" & not the mirror)

4Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:53 pm

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Those mirrors originally had a rubber backing pad between the pod and fairing, most haven't survived till now. I use the O-rings from a garden hose fitting over the head of the bolt so the pod is firm. I can buy  five O-rings in a blister pack so I need 2 packs and 4 extra O-rings for spares. Somewhere in my well organized man cave these O-rings are gathered in groups of 4 well out of my sight.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

5Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:04 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
^ Clever.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

6Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:16 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
tagaz wrote:'85 K110RT:
Still very much usable.

Troy
Are you talking about the mirror pod vibrating or the glass vibrating inside the pod?

I had a loose glass in the pod that vibed a bit.  I removed the glass, fitted the cutoff fingertip of a rubber glove over the metal ball and refitted the mirror glass.  No more movement.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Loose Mirror K-dogs10

7Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:18 pm

AL-58

AL-58
Life time member
Life time member
RicK G wrote:Those mirrors originally had a rubber backing pad between the pod and fairing, most haven't survived till now. I use the O-rings from a garden hose fitting over the head of the bolt so the pod is firm. I can buy  five O-rings in a blister pack so I need 2 packs and 4 extra O-rings for spares. Somewhere in my well organized man cave these O-rings are gathered in groups of 4 well out of my sight.
I've cut a replacement pad from leather,its working fine.  I do know it wont last forever but it wont crumble apart like the foam has.

Al

+ another boxer engined motorcycle and sidecar

"When I'm too old and too foolish to handle a sidecar I'll buy a Sportsbike"

Loose Mirror K-dogs10

8Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:55 pm

tagaz

tagaz
Silver member
Silver member
AL-58 wrote:
RicK G wrote:Those mirrors originally had a rubber backing pad between the pod and fairing, most haven't survived till now. I use the O-rings from a garden hose fitting over the head of the bolt so the pod is firm. I can buy  five O-rings in a blister pack so I need 2 packs and 4 extra O-rings for spares. Somewhere in my well organized man cave these O-rings are gathered in groups of 4 well out of my sight.
I've cut a replacement pad from leather,its working fine.  I do know it wont last forever but it wont crumble apart like the foam has.

Al
Al - 58 thx 4 reply.

How do i remove the pod from the fairing?

Regards,

Troy

9Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:58 pm

tagaz

tagaz
Silver member
Silver member
AL-58 wrote:
tagaz wrote:'85 K110RT:
Still very much usable.

Troy
Are you talking about the mirror pod vibrating or the glass vibrating inside the pod?

I had a loose glass in the pod that vibed a bit.  I removed the glass, fitted the cutoff fingertip of a rubber glove over the metal ball and refitted the mirror glass.  No more movement.

Al
It is the pod that is loose.

10Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:11 am

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Troy, the pods are fitted to the fairing with 3 spring clips and are designed to come off if they hit something (like a garage door), so to remove them you need to give the pod a sharp thump from the front. 

New spring clips are available.

Paul.

11Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:30 pm

sidecar paul

sidecar paul
Life time member
Life time member
Here is a picture of a RS mirror pod (the RTs have the same fixing)
 Loose Mirror Sam_1611

And here's the mounting plate that's fixed to the fairing.

Loose Mirror Sam_1612

Just thinking of your problem, it may be that the screws holding the mounting plate to the fairing have come loose.

Paul.

12Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:05 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
rt fairings use a different fixing paul

I do have pics but not at the office where I am now

its more or less a riveted clip, like jeans about 12- 16mm on the fairing side and a matching castellated clip on the pod x 3

to remove the pods
hit them from the underside , in line with the bottom of the pod , in an upwards direction

sometimes it is wise to remove the mirror glass first before attempting this , as they could smash as they hit the ground

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

13Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:20 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
On the fairing side it's the mounting screws that have specially shaped head
which acts as the male part of the quick mount.

From Ebay:

Loose Mirror Braket10

14Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:24 am

Stan

Stan
Life time member
Life time member
I have modified my fitting as I found that the mirror pod would not clip in securely on all three posts. By placing another washer between the fairing outside and the post I was able to raise the height and therefore all three posts were staying in the sockets of the pod.

15Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:59 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
cheers inge ..and ainsjac

here's the receiving end of those  fairing mounted ""studs " for want of a better word

Loose Mirror 20170616

notice, there is supposed to be a bit of a damper of flexible foam or sum such  around the base of the pods ...over the years it has been noticed that the "foam" deteriorates quite significantly ...and not just on the these mirror pods area ....and thus allowing for some slight movement - vibration

like all things rubbery ..they do perish

I solved mine by some neoprene type "bumpers " between the pod and the fairing mount points

as al says o rings could also be a good solution , and as ainsjac says he needed to boost the penetration of the "stud" off the fairing to achieve a solution

just my contribution to trying to solve an issue
hope that helps

cheers

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

16Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Re: Loose Mirror Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:20 am

Inge K.

Inge K.
VIP
VIP
For making new "gaskets" between the fairing and pod I've used sole
material for orbital sanders (aviable in different thickness).....handy as
it allready is adesive on side.

17Back to top Go down   Loose Mirror Empty Thank all of you Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:16 pm

tagaz

tagaz
Silver member
Silver member
Charlie, Inge, Ainsjac, Rickg, .75, & Al, thank you for all the great information.
especially Charlie, for clarifying that the pod removal is with an upward tap/wack.

I paused my efforts on the mirror for the moment as we are experiencing dangerously hot weather.
110-120F previous few days, though cooled off a bit today, presently on 109F.

Thx again everyone,

Troy

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum