BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Overture

Overture
Hey everyone,

Names Chris, based in Melbourne, Australia. (I know.. another one..)
Recently purchased a 84' K100RT that had seen better days, from a work mate who's stopped riding due to his little ones.

He did an at home naked conversion, and it needs some love to get back onto the road it hasn't run in 2 years.
But I'm bringing her back, already done a new fuel pump and kit inside the tank.

Slowly going through a check-list I've made, might start up a build thread!

Everyone is seems super friendly and supportive, so signing up was a no brainier! Wink

Thanks

Another aussie, I think we're taking over?! ADLjwIx

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
welcome chris ...

looks like a nice to be  dooer upperer

have fun mate !!!

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

indian036

indian036
Life time member
Life time member
Supportive is something this forum does well. Very Happy

WelKome. 

Bill

1984 K100RT  VIN 0023022  Work needing lots of progress

1986 K100RT  VIN 0090542  Work needing lots and lots of progress
1993 K1100LT  VIN 0183046  Work in progress
1993 K75S  VIN 0213045  Tom the Triple (now on Historic rego too.)

Born Again Eccentric

Born Again Eccentric
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome along Chris,

Another Aussie - you join a growing band of stalwarts and die hards down under. A fantastic krew and I am sure they will make you feel very welcome.

Plenty of good advice, banter and occasional meet ups too (all around the world), so enjoy bringing your baby back to life and getting her out on the open road.

I'm sure I'm teaching you to suck eggs (I never did understand why grandmothers did such a thing in the first place), but be careful with that pressure washer - especially in the vicinity of the radiator (and yours looks particularly exposed the moment). You won't be the first to cause a leak after some over zealous pressure washing...but at least yours is very easy to get off, at the moment!

Enjoy

"Heidi" K100LT 1991 (Grey) (VIN 0190172 Engine No. 104EB 2590 2213) - 5th owner. January 2014 (34,000 - 61,000 miles and counting....)
"Gretel" K100LT 1989 (Silver Grey) (VIN 0177324 Engine No. 104EA 2789 2211) - 4th+ owner. September 2015 (58,500miles and counting....). Cat C Insurance write-off rebuild Feb 17
"Donor" K100LT 1990 (Red)  (VIN 0178091 Engine No. 4489 2024) - 6th & final owner (crash write-off now donor bike).   June 2012 (73,000 miles) to November 2013 (89,500 miles)

critter

critter
there everywere and welcome

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the asylum from the northern realms. Deoxit will be come your best friend.
Regards Martin.

larrikin

larrikin
Life time member
Life time member
Oh Great! Another flaming Mexican.

Welcome to the Knuthouse.

BTW I had a 84 K100 once, it was a bloody great bike.

It increases my paranoia
Like lookin' at my mirror and seein' a police car

Overture

Overture
Born Again Eccentric wrote:Welcome along Chris,

Another Aussie - you join a growing band of stalwarts and die hards down under. A fantastic krew and I am sure they will make you feel very welcome.

Plenty of good advice, banter and occasional meet ups too (all around the world), so enjoy bringing your baby back to life and getting her out on the open road.

I'm sure I'm teaching you to suck eggs (I never did understand why grandmothers did such a thing in the first place), but be careful with that pressure washer - especially in the vicinity of the radiator (and yours looks particularly exposed the moment). You won't be the first to cause a leak after some over zealous pressure washing...but at least yours is very easy to get off, at the moment!

Enjoy

I was just degreasing the wheels and bottom of the engine, I know people cringe at the pressure washer.
I normally prefer the watering can and elbow grease!

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
More mature Bricks definitely benefit from going over all the connections and cleaning with Deoxit. Against the advice of some I also smear dielectric grease or heavy silicone around the connectors. I believe it keeps out moisture and air which leads to corrosion. I've only had electrical connector problems twice in twenty years on the one connector I failed to do, due to it being slightly hard to get to.
Regards Martin.

Overture

Overture
MartinW wrote:More mature Bricks definitely benefit from going over all the connections and cleaning with Deoxit. Against the advice of some I also smear dielectric grease or heavy silicone around the connectors. I believe it keeps out moisture and air which leads to corrosion. I've only had electrical connector problems twice in twenty years on the one connector I failed to do, due to it being slightly hard to get to.
Regards Martin.

Yeah she needs some love, I've read so far that Nylon Drill Brush and WD40 makes light work of most of it.

But I'm not sure how I feel about using a powertool on some of those areas.
People also recommend oven cleaner, but again be very careful etc!

I'm going to start a build thread tonight, had a fuel leak last night in one of the lines that goes to the rail, but I'm hoping to go for a RWC ASAP!

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
Welcome from across the Ditch. New members is Aussie out number the new Kiwis about 100 to 1 Crying or Very sad Lots of help here if your into full renovations. Oven cleaner on the alloy? Tried the caustic version - a total waste of time mate. If the corrosion is seriously real bad then neat Spirit of Salts or hydrochloric acid and a toothbrush or three is the weapon of choice. Swing arm and FD will come up looking primo, but you will need to remove and strip out the parts before starting. Wear gloves and goggles, and work out doors!

1984 K100RS. Madison silver.
2002 K1200RS. Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins, Speiglers, Fiamms, HID. 186,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1991 K1. Schwartz metallic black, 18 month frame off restoration. 74,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD Crying or Very sad
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Grandads ride

Overture

Overture
KiwiK100 wrote:Welcome from across the Ditch. New members is Aussie out number the new Kiwis about 100 to 1 Crying or Very sad Lots of help here if your into full renovations. Oven cleaner on the alloy? Tried the caustic version - a total waste of time mate. If the corrosion is seriously real bad then neat Spirit of Salts or hydrochloric acid and a toothbrush or three is the weapon of choice. Swing arm and FD will come up looking primo, but you will need to remove and strip out the parts before starting. Wear gloves and goggles, and work out doors!

I've got a mini spray booth set-up in the garage and I was thinking about painting the swing arm/engine/wheels in 601 super enamel, there's been good results I've seen online.

But I normally do small scale airbrush work, so I've gotta do some more research!
Any advice from anyone would be appreciated!

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
Hi Ya Overture welKome to our Knuthaus We aren't taking over we took over years ago. Der Oirish boys will tell you different but they always were a bit slow off the mark.

And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama

Bikes 1999 K1100 LT with a Big Block 1200

KiwiK100

KiwiK100
Gold member
Gold member
Ive had really good results with Hammerite rattle cans from the UK. Available in NZ through Tighter Men so should be available through the same stores in Aussie. The smooth silver (not hammered)  is particularly nice to put on and a close replica to the oem silver. The satin black is also nice to use. Expensive but good results. As for the wheels, nothing beats a good powder coat when it comes to dealing with stone chips

1984 K100RS. Madison silver.
2002 K1200RS. Owned from new. Pacific Blue, Ohlins, Speiglers, Fiamms, HID. 186,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1991 K1. Schwartz metallic black, 18 month frame off restoration. 74,000km SOLD Crying or Very sad
1987 K100RS Style. Black, Ohlins, Race Tech springs, Braided lines. Fully restored. 53,000 miles. SOLD Crying or Very sad
The family history:
1951 AJS 500 single - my Dads ride
1953 Triumph Terrier - my Mum's ride
1916 Triumph Type H, Battle of the Somme, France WW1 - my Grandads ride

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum