BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Hi all, I recently noticed the oil pressure warning lamp isn't coming on with the ignition (before starting the engine).

I pulled the wire off the pressure switch on the oil pump and touched it to earth, the lamp lit ok, so I took the switch off and cleaned it, including the small hole on the oil side.

Put it all back together, turned on ignition....Yaay, red light. Started the bike and the light went out almost immedately....good so far. Turned off the engine, waited a few seconds, switched ignition on....no lamp!

So my question is... Is this normal? should the oil warning lamp come on every time the ignition is switched on, or does the oil pressure stay high enough in the engine for the lamp to stay off even without the engine running?

I should add that the pressure switch is quite new, as I replaced the old leaky one recently. Also I changed the oil and filter about 300 miles ago, and it still looks nice and clean. Lastly, even after parking the bike all day, the light doesn't come on.

Thanks guys.
Steve Another oil pressure warning lamp question Icon_smile

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
All that I can add is as soon as I turn my bike off and on again (without starting it), the red oil pressure light comes on.
The is no "residual" oil pressure.

It's not unheard of to get a bum switch even if it is brand new.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
Cheers blakey, That's exactly what I needed to know.
Looks like I'd better order another switch then.

Regards,
Steve.

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Or check your connector/wire?

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Another oil pressure warning lamp question Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
Probably worth a check with the ohm meter on the switch terminal down to earth a high resistance (not enough current to light the bulb) would confirm a dud switch an open circuit likewise.
Regards,
K-BIKE

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
Yep, you guys are right. Checking the wiring and connections first before buying a new switch may save you some dollars.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

Kerswellcrank

Kerswellcrank
I'm fairly happy the wiring is ok, as touching the wire off the switch to earth lights up the lamp.

Took the switch off again today and gave it another good clean. Put the test meter on it. Circuit was good, then I pushed a small allen key into the oil hole to operate the switch, (you can feel the contact moving inside), and the circuit was broken, as expected.

Repeated this several times and found that the switch is erratic, in that when the contact is closed, the circuit is sometimes made, sometimes not.

The switch doesn't come apart so I can't really do much else to it, and as it seems unreliable, I can't trust that the oil light would come on if the pressure really was low. So looks like I'd better get a new one. This is a bit Another oil pressure warning lamp question Icon_sad, as it's not very old and I hope I don't get another one from a duff batch. The old one was probably the original and worked fine, but unfortunately leaked oil.

Oh well, at least they are quite cheap.

Thanks for the replies folks.
Steve.

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Steve, I think this is the trouble with warning lights that tell us things are wrong but usually too late so might be worth throwing a gauge or two in just for piece of mind.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum