BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Clip on Handlebars Empty Clip on Handlebars Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Just a quick question. I'm under the impression that a K100LT ABS front fork diameter is 41.3mm which is equivalent to 1 5/8" (Haven't had a chance to measure mine yet). I have also found that clip on handlebars come in sizes like 41mm or 42mm not in between. So I tried to search for 1 5/8" clip ons but they seem to be called equivalent to 41mm not 41.3mm. This made me think maybe the 41mm would simply just fit on my bike, has anyone tried this and what did they do? I also know that people have explored the use of a 0.2mm+0.5mm shim if they go the 42mm clip ons however I'm struggling to find where you can buy such shims. My other solution was to simple sand the inside because I'd only have to take of 0.15mm from all the way round. So any thoughts? would I be better of buying 41mm and making it fit by sanding it or 42mm and using shims??

Thanks
DBRMN

2Back to top Go down   Clip on Handlebars Empty Re: Clip on Handlebars Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:02 am

Ohts

Ohts
I recently bought 41mm clip-ons and the smallest amount of sanding on the inside of the bracket allows a smooth fit and full contact on the fork.

3Back to top Go down   Clip on Handlebars Empty Re: Clip on Handlebars Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:44 pm

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
Ohts wrote:I recently bought 41mm clip-ons and the smallest amount of sanding on the inside of the bracket allows a smooth fit and full contact on the fork.
Ok thank you thats useful to know!

4Back to top Go down   Clip on Handlebars Empty Re: Clip on Handlebars Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:05 pm

boostd4

boostd4
Silver member
Silver member
I bought 41mm clip ons and they fit just fine.. there is supposed to be a small amount of gap to close in on.  If they clamp flush, I'd be concerned about them slipping down.

YMMV, but I bought Woodcraft 41mm clip ons that come with 22mm handlebars.  I had more trouble getting my controls off the stock bars than I did putting them on the 22mm bars... no sanding or anything was necessary, they slipped on perfectly.  Like I said, your mileage may vary, but if I were to do another cafe racer, I'd go with the woodcrafts (plus the fork mounts brackets are split so you don't have to lower the fork tubes out of the triple clamp).

5Back to top Go down   Clip on Handlebars Empty Re: Clip on Handlebars Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:15 am

DBRMN

DBRMN
Life time member
Life time member
boostd4 wrote:I bought 41mm clip ons and they fit just fine.. there is supposed to be a small amount of gap to close in on.  If they clamp flush, I'd be concerned about them slipping down.

YMMV, but I bought Woodcraft 41mm clip ons that come with 22mm handlebars.  I had more trouble getting my controls off the stock bars than I did putting them on the 22mm bars... no sanding or anything was necessary, they slipped on perfectly.  Like I said, your mileage may vary, but if I were to do another cafe racer, I'd go with the woodcrafts (plus the fork mounts brackets are split so you don't have to lower the fork tubes out of the triple clamp).
About the Woodcraft Clip ons are these the ones you bought? https://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=12-01

And also do you know if they fit with the MotoGadget m.blaze's?

6Back to top Go down   Clip on Handlebars Empty Re: Clip on Handlebars Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:49 pm

boostd4

boostd4
Silver member
Silver member
I got mine from one of Woodcraft's ebay listings.  Mine have 1.5" risers but are effectively the same as the ones you listed.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get the extra long bars.  I have bar end mirrors that didn't really fit, but would have worked if I had extra room on the end of the bars.  Worst case is you cut them to length.

I don't have the motogadget turn signs so couldn't tell you about those.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum