BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Colorado Custom Build Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:11 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
Figured I could start posting as I make progress on my tear down/build. I am in Denver, Colorado, picked up a non running 1985 K100RS about 3 weeks ago or so. The previous owner had gotten a scooter, and stopped riding the bike 3 years ago or so. It has +90K miles on it. Not 100% sure what I'm planning for an overall look right now, but I have previously done a similar build on a 1985 KZ750 (Kawasaki), and did a cafe look.

Anyways, I did a fluids flush on the bike, got it cleaned out, and a new battery. It had spark and compression, but wasn't turning over. I checked and cleaned out the injectors, and didn't have problems with any of them, so I took on the fuel pump. When I pulled it I found that the vibration dampener had turned to mush, and the strainer basket on the bottom only a plastic frame... no mesh... I attempted to save the pump; it was seized up, but made a small bit of movement when hooked up to the battery. After a few days of soaking in carb cleaner, and not making much progress in breaking it loose, I went with EME's replacement http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/EnDuraLast-BMW-K-52mm-Fuel-Pump-16-12-1-461-576-p/fp-576edl.htm.
After about 10 minutes of trying I got it to start up... music to my ears!

In between all that work I also started stripping the bike, I also . Here are some pics and a video
Colorado Custom Build 110Colorado Custom Build 1_210Colorado Custom Build 1_310Colorado Custom Build 1_410Colorado Custom Build 1_510Colorado Custom Build 1_610

2Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
after getting it running, I rode it around the block a couple times, parked it, and have started taking it down to clean as much off of it as possible. Started with the frame/seat. over the weekend i chopped about 6" or so off. Don't mind my messy garage... Also note I am in no way a professional welder, took a college class, but definitely don't "stack dimes"

Colorado Custom Build Img_0312Colorado Custom Build Img_0311Colorado Custom Build Img_0310

Colorado Custom Build Img_0313

3Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:05 am

tborosak

tborosak
Great work mate love all the progress pics!

TOM Wink

https://www.instagram.com/tomborosak/
https://www.instagram.com/tomborosak/

4Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 pm

woodgeek

woodgeek
Looking good! Our bikes are looking really similar at this stage. I ordered a headlight and mounts similar to yours. I'm not cutting my rear subframe, though. I can't weld (yet) and my goal is to get the bike on the road in the next month or so. I'll be following your build with interest. I'll start my own thread once my parts start arriving--there are a ton.

5Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:30 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
tborosak wrote:Great work mate love all the progress pics!

I appreciate it! you build has been great as well, looking real clean.

Last edited by Hale_Storm on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

6Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
woodgeek wrote:Looking good! Our bikes are looking really similar at this stage. I ordered a headlight and mounts similar to yours. I'm not cutting my rear subframe, though. I can't weld (yet) and my goal is to get the bike on the road in the next month or so. I'll be following your build with interest. I'll start my own thread once my parts start arriving--there are a ton.

Thank you, yeah, looking very similar! I am lucky to have Steeles Cycles close by my house, they have new and used parts, so I was able to grab a headlight out of their junkyard, and picked up some new brackets while i was there. I have some more parts coming in today, and have been working on a custom seat pan since i chopped the frame. Its always nerve wrecking cutting into the frame... but its fun at the same time.

7Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:56 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
Over last weekend I started a custom seat pan. We have a local metal scrap yard, $40 gets you 40lbs, so i picked up a decently thick piece of sheet metal and some other parts.

Rough Layout
Colorado Custom Build 010

Cut to a rectangle, and ground the rust off with a wire wheel
Colorado Custom Build 113
Colorado Custom Build 210

Piece of unistrut and some clamps for my high tech metal bender.
Colorado Custom Build 310
Colorado Custom Build 410

check layout
Colorado Custom Build 510
Colorado Custom Build 610

Shaping it to just bigger than the frame. used a sharpie and the frame itself to trace it out, then added about a half inch. super technical.
Colorado Custom Build 710

Cut some relief cuts on outside corners, and used a set of pliers to bend a little at a time, all the way around.
Colorado Custom Build 810
Colorado Custom Build 910

Right now its rough, but i'll do some more bending, and hammering, then weld up the seams where it needed to be cut, add foam and wrap!

Anyone have experience upholstering to a metal pan? I plan on using leather. I've seen some guys use rivets, but it seems like a pain to drill holes, and stretch it with a rivet gun? I was thinking about adhering some plywood to the bottom to staple to?

8Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
did some work on the bike over the last few weeks, mostly the front end, made a mount for the speedo, put in a new headlight, mounted the key on the triple tree.

Colorado Custom Build Img_0713
Colorado Custom Build Img_0714
Colorado Custom Build Img_0711
Colorado Custom Build Img_0710
Colorado Custom Build Img_0712

9Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:11 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
After some back and forth I changed the seat pan idea from a metal pan to a wood pan. cut out two pieces of plywood for the front and back, and connected them with some small pieces and fiberglass. added foam to the top, and stretched in some leather. diamond pattern stitched in to match my handlebar grips.

Colorado Custom Build 40CC0B45-7997-47D3-AAC0-36996D393F95

Colorado Custom Build 58D1995F-38FE-4D7C-8E1F-73BE27B96FC5

Colorado Custom Build C381759C-0A34-452E-8FE6-823724628B74

Colorado Custom Build 5B3E1281-BBF5-41A9-A810-73C645C9AEC0

Colorado Custom Build 0B1A9773-DEB6-4DB3-B40B-FDDA521F3EA2

Colorado Custom Build A4C7D73E-5513-4E98-B9F8-A9288AF81C21

10Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:27 pm

Eric1109

Eric1109
Bike looks great... I am just pulling trigger on buying a K75.  I noticed you already changed out your factory dials.   Did you use the BEP 3.  If so how hard was it to figure it out....
Eric.

11Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:15 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
Eric1109 wrote:Bike looks great... I am just pulling trigger on buying a K75.  I noticed you already changed out your factory dials.   Did you use the BEP 3.  If so how hard was it to figure it out....
Eric.

Thanks! been a lot of fun. I have not gotten around to hooking everything up... just short trips to the office going with the flow of traffic, but i bought one of robmak's TGPI boards. Just need to sit down one of these days and figure it out. Electrical is not my forte

12Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:13 pm

Eric1109

Eric1109
Have not heard about the board you bought, does it replace everything in the stock instrument cluster, and is it a plug and go replacement. I have zero electric bike skills, so I need an very easy solution...

13Back to top Go down   Colorado Custom Build Empty Re: Colorado Custom Build Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:14 pm

Hale_Storm

Hale_Storm
Eric1109 wrote:Have not heard about the board you bought, does it replace everything in the stock instrument cluster, and is it a plug and go replacement. I have zero electric bike skills, so I need an very easy solution...

Just got it about wired up last night. Lots of trial and error, one burnt finger from grabbing a wire that spaked... all kinds of fun stuff.

If you contact user Robmack, he makes the TGPI board. If you search TGPI in the forum i'm sure you'll find lots of info. It replaces everything you need, converts the speedometer signal, tachometer, and has a gear indicator. I am in the same boat as you, electrical stuff goes way over my head. He has pretty good paperwork to go with the board, and a lot of info on this forum, not to mention he is quick to respond on the forum as well.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum