BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Clutch cables Empty Clutch cables Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:54 pm

Rabidchiwawa007

Rabidchiwawa007
Platinum member
Platinum member
Hi all,

I have a huge issue with clutch cables breaking.  They last maybe a few months tops, and then it's another $80 for a new cable.  They break at the lever side and they break the exact same way every time, half of the cable snaps off from the barrel connection.  Does anyone else experience this, and is there anything I can do about it?  I've looked for hours in the past for a different / better way to route the clutch cable and I can't find one.

Thanks!

2Back to top Go down   Clutch cables Empty Re: Clutch cables Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
This takes me back..
I had this problem years ago when I first had the k100. I found that the barrel was slipping sideways in the lever, and this meant that when the lever was pulled, the cable was out of line with the slot in the lever. The action of pulling the lever caused the cable to kink slightly just where it joined the barrel - as you pulled the lever it centred itself and so none of this was noticeable in use.

I ended up drilling and tapping the lever and fastening a M3 washer so's it retained the barrel. Problem completely solved.

Twenty-odd years later that particular clutch lever and its little washer are long gone. I've never had the same problem since, so I'd guess the levers were modified just a touch somewhere along the way. Or maybe there was a bad early batch? (Original bike was a very early '84)

Last edited by chris846 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 'It's' (possessive) doesn't have an apostrophe - ARE YOU LISTENING COMPUTER?)

3Back to top Go down   Clutch cables Empty Re: Clutch cables Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:35 pm

Suzi Q

Suzi Q
Life time member
Life time member
OMG, look what I found!

Me and this clutch lever go WAAAAY back!

Clutch cables 00310
Clutch cables 00412

In fact you can see where I first chamfered the side of the slot to try and centre the cable without kinking it.

4Back to top Go down   Clutch cables Empty Re: Clutch cables Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

MartinW

MartinW
Life time member
Life time member
Worn lever is more than likely the problem. I have never replaced any of my cables on my 25 year old Brick. However against BMW policy I do lubricate them annually with a PTFE product called Triflow. Sold in bicycle shops for their cables. Don't ever lubricate with WD40 or it's like as they can cause The Teflon liner to break down. I also lubricate the levers and the barrel with spray lithium grease. The lower clutch arm is subject to road scum and water which can cause it to bind. The addition of a grease nipple is an easy modification, and the occasional application of a grease gun will push out all the crap and allow the arm to pivot easier reducing the strain on the cable and your hand.
Regards Martin.Clutch cables Clutch12

5Back to top Go down   Clutch cables Empty Re: Clutch cables Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:54 pm

92KK 84WW Olaf

Life time member
Life time member
Wear in the lever at the nipple seat, took the lever out one day and replaced with a new one. Now the nipple gets lubed every week and a check to see it rotates in its slot as you pull the lever. If it doesn't rotate the cable gets pulled out.

1983 K100RS 0011157 Fricka 606 Alaska Blue 29,495 miles Damn K Pox Its a Bat outta Hell Now 58,200 miles. 
1996 K1100LT 0233004 Lohengrin Mystic Red 38,000 miles currently 48,061 miles.
1983 K100RS 0004449 Odette R100 colours 58,000 miles. Sprint fairing now 61,190 miles

Past:
1968 Yamaha 80 YG1
1971 Yamaha 125 YAS-1
1968 Honda 125 SS
1970 Honda CD 175
1973 Honda CB500-4
Honda CX 500

6Back to top Go down   Clutch cables Empty Broken clutch cables Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 pm

redrockmania

redrockmania
Silver member
Silver member
Cable breaks at the clutch lever end are not only a problem for K owners. My Husqvarna TE 610ie has the same problem. Solution is sorting out the alignment of the cable as it leaves the end of the outer sleeve but fitting a modified threaded adjuster and removing any sharp edges on the lever and lever bracket.
I second Tri-Flo lubricant - have used it since approx 1980. The lubricant effect lasts a considerable time.  I have seen other teflon spray lubricants more recently for sale as well.
Also second modifying your lower clutch release lever by fitting a grease nipple. Only a few tools needed - Motobins used to sell grease nipple modified lower levers, but at a price. If you fit this mod it gives you an opportunity to inspect your lower clutch lever mechanism. Take care with the delicate rubber boot - easy to rip. Replace the needle roller bearings on the pivot pin if they feel gritty. I machined a stainless steel pivot pin to replace the standard one. The lower release mechanism is highly exposed to dirt and water so it should be a regular item to inspect.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum