BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   throttle cable Empty throttle cable Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:34 pm

jonno1962

Hi, my 84 k100rs has a throttle with a very stiff action, not sure how to deal with these as i'm only used to fixing jap bikes, do i need a new cable and if so, how is it changed?
if i attack it from the throttle grip end am i liable to cock up the rather strange linkage?
thank you , jon.

2Back to top Go down   throttle cable Empty Re: throttle cable Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:34 pm

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
firstly do u have a 1cm round button underneath the throttle cable housing on the handlebar, if so that adjusts the tension. if not take off top of throttle cable housing and ensure cable top end is greased and moving freely. then make sure cable is not caught up on voyage under tank through to throttle stop on air intake valve mechanism. if all well then the cable could be knacked ! i think about £15 for new. remember to feed new cable along same course as old to ensure correct fit.
hope that helps

3Back to top Go down   throttle cable Empty Re: throttle cable Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:53 pm

jonno1962

Hi, there is no button underneath the throttle housing and have removed the top and greased the linkage and, yes, there is a slight improvement and isnt as notchy, will have the tank off and take closer look at the weekend, can i lubricate the cable or is it nylon lined?
thank you for your reply , it has helped!

4Back to top Go down   throttle cable Empty Re: throttle cable Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:03 pm

jonnyqq

jonnyqq
Silver member
Silver member
the clymer manual says bmw cables do not need to be greased, nothing to loose if all else fails i suspose good luck

5Back to top Go down   throttle cable Empty Re: throttle cable Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:52 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Jon, if you have the freeplay adjuster for the the throttle cable a few centimetres down the cable then you have the old type cable.

The mechanism on the handlebar is pretty straightforward just make sure the aligning marks are in the right spot when you put it back together.

I believe if you replace it with the new cable you will need a different throttle housing that allows for fitment of a threaded adjuster like the clutch cable.

Genuine BMW cables are supposed to be teflon lined so should not be lubricated but if yours is pretty bad then, as mentioned above, it can not make it any worse.

6Back to top Go down   throttle cable Empty Re: throttle cable Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:25 pm

blaKey

Life time member
Life time member
I've read somewhere is more to do with the lubricant causing a reaction with the nylon lining/sheath whatever and making it swell and therefore difficult to move.
My 2 cents worth.

Dress for the ride and the potential slide.

7Back to top Go down   throttle cable Empty Re: throttle cable Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:54 am

jonno1962

many thanks for the advice, have greased the mechanism and things are getting better but i'm saving for the new housing anyway!

8Back to top Go down   throttle cable Empty Re: throttle cable Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:56 am

reg_K100RS

Silver member
Silver member
Jonno
When you had the top off that was the time to see if it was the cable or twist grip that
was stiff
I had issues with a not so smooth throttle.
On examination I found it was the twist grip
then realised the rubber hand grip had 'walked' up to the housing and
was preventing smooth open, snap shut throttle action
Easing it back freed up the throttle.

Now I sometimes do it delberately on a long run and use it as a cheapo cruise control throttle cable Icon_lol

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum