BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]


1Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Twin headlamp Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:31 am

PiotrK100

PiotrK100
Silver member
Silver member
I know Im boring with all my problems but what can I do cheers . Now I want to install twin head lamp to my K1100. The problem is that I want both lenses to be on with high beam and unfortunately when switch from low to high beam is only one on and second is off. Is there any possibility to do that? I reconsider to connect low beam to the position light and than when switched high beam as well both will be on.
I do not know if the wireloom will stand 120w power switched all the time.Any ideas?

http://www.xenum.pl
    

2Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:50 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
You're right about the wriring loom going into meltdown - you'll have to use relays. Yes, it can be done. I've just done something similar on my Bandit, so give me a day or two to dig out the wiring daigram and post it here.


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

3Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 am

PiotrK100

PiotrK100
Silver member
Silver member
Dai wrote:You're right about the wriring loom going into meltdown - you'll have to use relays. Yes, it can be done. I've just done something similar on my Bandit, so give me a day or two to dig out the wiring daigram and post it here.

Dai, thanks a lot. That will help me a lot. I have also LED beams which are 25-30W each, but want to do it properly anyway for normal H4 beams as well.

http://www.xenum.pl
    

4Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:07 am

Crazy Frog

Crazy Frog
admin
admin
Here is an upgrade with relays. You can plug the dual headlight instaed of the single one when the relays are installed.
One of the other critical upgrade is to install ceramic headlight connectors.

The schematic is here

Twin headlamp S-l1600


__________________________________________________
Twin headlamp Frog15Twin headlamp Logo2101986 k75, 1985 K100rt, 1985 K100rt/EML GT2 sidecar, 1999 K1200lt/Hannigan Astro Sport sidecar.
    

5Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 am

PiotrK100

PiotrK100
Silver member
Silver member
Crazy Frog wrote:Here is an upgrade with relays. You can plug the dual headlight instaed of the single one when the relays are installed.
One of the other critical upgrade is to install ceramic headlight connectors.

The schematic is here



Twin headlamp S-l1600

Thanks. I have ceramic connectors already!

http://www.xenum.pl
    

6Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:25 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Does CF's diagram solve your problem?


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

7Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:35 am

PiotrK100

PiotrK100
Silver member
Silver member
Dai wrote:Does CF's diagram solve your problem?


Hi Dai
I do not know yet because currently on my 5000 km trip to Albania and did not have time to check it out. But all other information allways warm wellcomed.

http://www.xenum.pl
    

8Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Okay - we'll wait till you get home Very Happy


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

9Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:32 am

PiotrK100

PiotrK100
Silver member
Silver member
Dai wrote:Okay - we'll wait till you get home Very Happy


We are currently in Zagreb but my friend BMW R90S lost batery charging and we go only by day chrging battery as often as needed. We decided not to change our plan it just slowes us a bit and make nervous. If I have wrenches and time I'd probably fix it, but I do not want to repair on the road and the loading system in this bike is sophisticated. Maybe it is something very detailed but...Twin headlamp Wp_20111

http://www.xenum.pl
    

10Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:10 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Piotr - spend one hour looking at the charging system - maybe while the battery is charging. All you need to do is to remove the timing chest cover on the front of the engine. There is no gasket. Under the timing chest is the alternator, rectifier and regulator. Just check that the alternator brushes are making contact with the rotor and that all wires are connected.

I haven't worked on an R90S but I have worked on /7s and /8s.


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

11Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
To be clear, the voltage regulator is under the petrol tank on the right hand side towards the front and is either a tin box (original) or a smaller plastic rectangular unit. But first, does the warning bulb in the instruments illuminate? If this bulb is not working then the charging system will not get 'excited'. To test this bulb, disconnect the neg strap for the battery and remove the front engine cover (timing chest). Remove the wire from the DF terminal on the alternator. Turn on the ignition (after reconnecting the neg strap). Touch the wire you've removed from the DF connection to a suitable ground surface. The charge light should illuminate.

If you have a small multimetre with you (essential with Airheads) you can check resistance across the slip rings of the charging rotor after raising the brushes off the slip rings with something like a business card. An R90S, assuming original equipment components, would measure 3.4 ohms if good. If you don't have a multimetre then press a screwdriver, blade or other metal object across the two surfaces of the rotor's slip rings (the shiny place where the brushes ride). If the bulb burns brightly then the rotor has an open circuit. The rotor is the majority of failures with Airheads, followed by the diode board.

Look for burn marks in the diode board at the top of the timing chest. Also check pos and neg battery connections for tightness. 

Dai, did you make that /8 bit up? This is not a model in any of BMW's nomenclature that I'm aware of. Type 247 /5, /6 & /7, plus the '80s models, or Type 248 - R45 & R65?


__________________________________________________

1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, #1 '06 K1200R, #2 '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT, '13 R1200RT-P & 2022 S1000XR

"Do you ever read any of the books you burn?" "That's against the law!" "Oh, of course."
~Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (22 August 1920 - 2012)
    

12Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
Typo Very Happy I was on my way to a vintage vehicle show this afternoon when a little devil popped up and went 'oi dickhead! did you really write /8?'. Should have been /6 and /7  Embarassed

Thanks for the additional input TWB. It's been almost thirty years since I did the last 800/7 and yes, I did manage to snap the nose off the camshaft, which is why I remember it so clearly. I had a huge dose of luck when I fed the replacement camshaft in and was able to pick up the oil pump without having to strip the engine.

Same problems as a good ol' Moto Guzzi, btw. Same charging system, but marginally different dimensions on the stator and rotor diameters which makes them absolutely not interchangeable. Thanks, BMW.


__________________________________________________
1983 K100 upgraded to K100RS spec, 1987 K100RT
Others...
1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500
    

13Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:35 pm

PiotrK100

PiotrK100
Silver member
Silver member
Two Wheels Better wrote:To be clear, the voltage regulator is under the petrol tank on the right hand side towards the front and is either a tin box (original) or a smaller plastic rectangular unit. But first, does the warning bulb in the instruments illuminate? If this bulb is not working then the charging system will not get 'excited'. To test this bulb, disconnect the neg strap for the battery and remove the front engine cover (timing chest). Remove the wire from the DF terminal on the alternator. Turn on the ignition (after reconnecting the neg strap). Touch the wire you've removed from the DF connection to a suitable ground surface. The charge light should illuminate.

If you have a small multimetre with you (essential with Airheads) you can check resistance across the slip rings of the charging rotor after raising the brushes off the slip rings with something like a business card. An R90S, assuming original equipment components, would measure 3.4 ohms if good. If you don't have a multimetre then press a screwdriver, blade or other metal object across the two surfaces of the rotor's slip rings (the shiny place where the brushes ride). If the bulb burns brightly then the rotor has an open circuit. The rotor is the majority of failures with Airheads, followed by the diode board.

Look for burn marks in the diode board at the top of the timing chest. Also check pos and neg battery connections for tightness. 

Dai, did you make that /8 bit up? This is not a model in any of BMW's nomenclature that I'm aware of. Type 247 /5, /6 & /7, plus the '80s models, or Type 248 - R45 & R65?


Thanks for information but now we just take a tow car and not because of not charging but because beit the speed 180 km/h blows out main shaft sealat and all oil went out.Twin headlamp Wp_20112Twin headlamp Wp_20112

http://www.xenum.pl
    

14Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:40 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
That is an elaborate tie down method. He definitely doesn't want that bike to fall off the truck!

Nice Ohlins on the back...


__________________________________________________

1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, #1 '06 K1200R, #2 '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT, '13 R1200RT-P & 2022 S1000XR

"Do you ever read any of the books you burn?" "That's against the law!" "Oh, of course."
~Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (22 August 1920 - 2012)
    

15Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:53 pm

PiotrK100

PiotrK100
Silver member
Silver member
Dai wrote:Typo Very Happy I was on my way to a vintage vehicle show this afternoon when a little devil popped up and went 'oi dickhead! did you really write /8?'. Should have been /6 and /7  Embarassed

Thanks for the additional input TWB. It's been almost thirty years since I did the last 800/7 and yes, I did manage to snap the nose off the camshaft, which is why I remember it so clearly. I had a huge dose of luck when I fed the replacement camshaft in and was able to pick up the oil pump without having to strip the engine.

Same problems as a good ol' Moto Guzzi, btw. Same charging system, but marginally different dimensions on the stator and rotor diameters which makes them absolutely not interchangeable. Thanks, BMW.



Dai, thanks a lot for your affort but we are lost in action and now riding only mine K1200RS, boxer went back to PL.Twin headlamp Wp_20113
Twin headlamp Wp_20114

http://www.xenum.pl
    

16Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:41 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
Dai wrote:Typo Very Happy I was on my way to a vintage vehicle show this afternoon when a little devil popped up and went 'oi dickhead! did you really write /8?'. Should have been /6 and /7  Embarassed

Thanks for the additional input TWB. It's been almost thirty years since I did the last 800/7 and yes, I did manage to snap the nose off the camshaft, which is why I remember it so clearly. I had a huge dose of luck when I fed the replacement camshaft in and was able to pick up the oil pump without having to strip the engine.

Same problems as a good ol' Moto Guzzi, btw. Same charging system, but marginally different dimensions on the stator and rotor diameters which makes them absolutely not interchangeable. Thanks, BMW.
Now here later in the day with a single malt and a splash of water, all seems good. Tomorrow is forecast to be high 20s (low 30s by mid-week) and a ride over the mountain passes to the 'dry side' is in order.


__________________________________________________

1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, #1 '06 K1200R, #2 '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT, '13 R1200RT-P & 2022 S1000XR

"Do you ever read any of the books you burn?" "That's against the law!" "Oh, of course."
~Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (22 August 1920 - 2012)
    

17Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:45 am

MarcS

MarcS
Silver member
Silver member
Good for you. We are waiting for a forcast -2c in the morning. My brass monkey has packed his swag and moved north (o)


__________________________________________________
K100rt ex plod bike 5/1990.



I have no problem with authority. Just some of the morons that are paid to enforce it.
    

18Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:49 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
MarcS wrote:Good for you. We are waiting for a forcast -2c in the morning. My brass monkey has packed his swag and moved north (o)
I can see how it'd be -2c out your way. In Logan Village (my home when in OZ) it's gunna be barely 4c tonight.


__________________________________________________

1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, #1 '06 K1200R, #2 '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT, '13 R1200RT-P & 2022 S1000XR

"Do you ever read any of the books you burn?" "That's against the law!" "Oh, of course."
~Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (22 August 1920 - 2012)
    

19Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:32 am

Rick G

Rick G
admin
admin
We had a -6°C here a couple of days ago.


__________________________________________________
"Man sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived."   Dalai Lama


Bikes 2004 K1200GT 1998 K1100 LT, 1986 K75 GS.
    

20Back to top Go down   Twin headlamp Empty Re: Twin headlamp Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:33 am

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Moderator
Moderator
RicK G wrote:We had a -6°C here a couple of days ago.
We have officially hijacked this thread...
You're on the frosty top, Rick! Must be the granite boulders attracting the frigid temps.


__________________________________________________

1970 R60/5, '77 R75/7-R100, '85 K100'87 K75C, '87 K100RS, '93 K11-K12 Big Block, '93 K1100RS, '95 R100-Mystic, '96 K1100RS, '98 K1200RS, '00 K1200RS, '02 K1200RS, '03 K1200GT, '04 R1150R'04 R1150RT, '05 K1200S, #1 '06 K1200R, #2 '06 K1200R, '07 K1200R, '09 K1300GT, '13 R1200RT-P & 2022 S1000XR

"Do you ever read any of the books you burn?" "That's against the law!" "Oh, of course."
~Ray Bradbury, science-fiction writer (22 August 1920 - 2012)
    

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum