BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty New owner of an old BMW Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:44 pm

Aconomy85

Aconomy85
I traded an old ragged out sportster for a 1985 BMW k100rt. It has around 27k miles on her and she runs fairly well. The story I got from the owner was interesting and I want to know a bit about euro models vs US models. The original owner apparently bought the bike in Europe and traveled around for a while then imported it to the US. Is there any difference? It is completely stock and I need to choose to either keep it stock for commuting or stripping it down for a cool custom bike. I usually commute on my 08 KLR650 and have fun on my 2017 yamaha xsr900 so this could be a fun in between bike for me.

Thanks in advance
JD

Here is some pictures of the bike. There are lots of stickers from europe on the cases which I imagine are from the original owners trip.

New owner of an old BMW 20180910
New owner of an old BMW 20180911
New owner of an old BMW 20180912

2Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:35 am

charlie99

charlie99
VIP
VIP
looks great for an 85

euro cams maybe different

and do I spy an after market exhaust ?

have fun and welcome aboard

'86 K100 RT..#0090401 ..."Gerty" ( Gertrude Von Clickandshift ) --------O%O
'86 k100 rs.. #######..  "Fred " (f(rame) red ) ( Fredrick leichtundschnell ) - -
bits and pieces from many kind friends across the k100 world ...with many thanks ..
1987 k100rs ########   "Red"  - (red sports rs TWB style )
1989 K100rt #009637   "Black Betty"  (naked rt ala Nigel , now sporting an rs main fairing )

3Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:55 am

Ron Ashurst

Ron Ashurst
Silver member
Silver member
Welcome JD.

4Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:54 am

Dai

Dai
Life time member
Life time member
New owner of an old BMW 177912 I've read two equally emphatic accounts for and against early European cams having more grunt and of those FYC (finest year cams) making their way to the USA when they should not have done. I'm inclined against it, except that I know for certain that Swiss Kawasaki 1300s did have softer cams to meet Swiss noise regs. The only way to find out is for someone to stick their hand in their pocket and compare a 'US-only' K against a 'Europe-only' K on a dyno.

No, it won't be me New owner of an old BMW 44271

1978 Moto Guzzi 850-T3, 1979 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 California,1993 Moto Guzzi 1100ie California
2020 Royal Enfield Bullet 500

5Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:32 am

Aconomy85

Aconomy85
charlie99 wrote:looks great for an 85

euro cams maybe different

and do I spy an after market exhaust ?

have fun and welcome aboard

The owner told me it is a performance exhaust but that is it. There are no markings that I could find on it anywhere.

6Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:37 am

Aconomy85

Aconomy85
Dai wrote:New owner of an old BMW 177912 I've read two equally emphatic accounts for and against early European cams having more grunt and of those FYC (finest year cams) making their way to the USA when they should not have done. I'm inclined against it, except that I know for certain that Swiss Kawasaki 1300s did have softer cams to meet Swiss noise regs. The only way to find out is for someone to stick their hand in their pocket and compare a 'US-only' K against a 'Europe-only' K on a dyno.

No, it won't be me New owner of an old BMW 44271
Thanks! 

Definitely not worth it! I was thinking there would be some way to tell if it was a Euro or US model externally...guess not.

7Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:27 am

brickrider2

brickrider2
Life time member
Life time member
Welcome to the forum.  You have other bikes for variety, so why not use the RT as it was intended?  It's a nice companion for longer tours!  The exhaust looks to be a pipe sold by Luftmeister some years back.

8Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:48 am

Aconomy85

Aconomy85
brickrider2 wrote:Welcome to the forum.  You have other bikes for variety, so why not use the RT as it was intended?  It's a nice companion for longer tours!  The exhaust looks to be a pipe sold by Luftmeister some years back.

Well I usually use my KLR650 for long trips but I may try this one out next time I go camping! I did find some really cool scrambler/brat style k100 builds that look intriguing so I need to decide what I want to do with it. I do love the KLR but highway cruising vibrates the shit out of me haha.

9Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Laitch

Laitch
Life time member
Life time member
Aconomy85 wrote: The original owner apparently bought the bike in Europe and traveled around for a while then imported it to the US. . . . I want to know a bit about euro models vs US models. Is there any difference?
This is information I've picked up along the way.

Some differences between US and German frame markings can be found in this video. The video discusses later models so information about the Motronic control unit appearance does not apply to your bike. Your bike has an L-Jetronic control unit.

Regardless of age and model, Euro speedometers will register in kilometers. Euro combo switches on the right side of the handlebar will have a switch to shut off the headlight. AUS model of that vintage would have a tube attached to a port on the front under side of the tank that attached to a port on the top of the crankcase to meet California pollution control standards. On many bikes in the US, the ports have been plugged because the system design was flawed.

10Back to top Go down   New owner of an old BMW Empty Re: New owner of an old BMW Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Two Wheels Better

Two Wheels Better
Go to www.realoem.com/bmw and type in the last seven digits of your VIN. This will reveal whether it was intended for the US market or 'Rest of the world'.

That's Matt Capri's Luftmeister exhaust, made by Black Hole, or is the copy made later by another firm Capri took the plans to in order to get it made more cheaply (some would say, less expensively).

BMWNA had a European delivery programme going in the mid-80s.

The Mystic, Big Block, 2nd K1200RS, K12R & K13 are running & ridable.

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum