BMW K bikes (Bricks)

You are not connected. Please login or register

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Back to top Go down   Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Empty Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:28 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
Hi, can I use a petrol hose for the bit between the rear brake master cylinder and the fluid container? Or does the DOT4 needs a special hose? Thanks.

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

2Back to top Go down   Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Empty Re: Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:16 pm

wedge

I have done on a previous bike and no apparent short term problems.
Long term I can't say as I no longer own the vehicle, but my head says if it can stand up to modern unleaded it will probably be the last surviving substance on earth (along with cockroaches and my Nan)

3Back to top Go down   Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Empty Re: Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:51 pm

phil_mars

Life time member
Life time member
Hi Rene and I think I used a piece of genuine brake hose on mine probably just to be sure.
Thinking about it though brake fluid will dissolve your paint work and fuel will not (not straight away anyway) so whether the hoses are different inside is another thing.

4Back to top Go down   Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Empty Re: Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:17 pm

Ned

Ned
Life time member
Life time member
don't know but the one is an alcohol and the other hydrocarbon. You could experiment by placing the hose in a container with the fluid for a few days and see if is swells. Swelling is a normal response of rubber to alcohols.

05/1986 (K55) K100RS Motorsport (Europe), Production Code: 0503, 110k km, VIN:0140519 (SOLD)
1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (naked)
1997 BMW K1200RS red, VIN: WB10544A1VZA22667

5Back to top Go down   Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Empty Re: Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:12 pm

japuentes

japuentes
Life time member
Life time member
Hi there, I replaced mine with fuel hose one year ago and to date had no problems.
Best regards
JAP

6Back to top Go down   Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Empty Re: Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:24 pm

ReneZ

ReneZ
Life time member
Life time member
OK, thanks team!

Rene

BMW K100 - 1985 (0030029) Scotland Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Rain
BMW K1200GT - 2003 (ZK01223) Florida
BMW K1200GT - 2004 (ZK27240) Australia

7Back to top Go down   Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Empty Re: Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:49 am

barryt

barryt
Silver member
Silver member
Replaced mine with fuel hose as well - no apparent problems, so far anyway....

8Back to top Go down   Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Empty Re: Fuel hose for brake fluid?? Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:10 am

K-BIKE

Life time member
Life time member
If you have access to an accurate laboratory balance the process is to dip the item in the fluid, gently wipe it dry with tissue and weigh it very accurately noting the exact weight. Then immerse it for ten days or so in the fluid, pull it out gently wipe it dry and weigh again. If it has gained weight it is absorbing the fluid and potentially that could be a problem, similarly a loss of weight means it is dissolving. My guess is it will not be an issue.
Regards,
K-BIKE,

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum